Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Alphabetize TOC in Robo 9

May 23, 2011 7:01 AM

Hi there

I just download a try Robo 9 to see if my problem with alphabetize TOC was "Fix" in Robo 9.

When i use the drag and drop from Project manager to TOC Pods - My TOC is in the file order and not in alphabetic. what am i missing

I had a idea that you could create TOC alpabetize but what am i missing ?

My project is a R5 convertet to 8 and then 9.

hope the forum can help.

/T

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 23, 2011 7:15 AM   in reply to (MightyJack)

Shouldn't your name be Jack in the Box? Instead of asking in a related thread, you created a post at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/855651?tstart=0 and now you are popping up here.

When you drag from the topic list, the TOC order will be whatever you create. You can insert a topic between others, add it at the end, the beginning and all points north and south.

I have a feeling there is something about your problem that I am not following.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    May 23, 2011 11:04 PM   in reply to (MightyJack)

In Project Manager you can sort your topics by custom order or alphabetically. Behind the scenes Rick Stone has been looking at how the auto-create feature works according to how PM is sorted and so have I. The short answer it always generates the TOC according to the sort order, no matter what is displayed in PM. In earlier versions auto-create gave you an alphabetical TOC but that changed when the PM had custom order added.

So that is the way it works in 9 and you cannot change it via the interface. I haven't looked at whether the order can be changed via the HHC if edited in a text editor. By far the safest way is as in the original post you found. Display PM in alphabetical order and drag the topics to the TOC editor in that order.

Sorry but that's the way it is.

Please follow this link and submit a feature request.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Peter Grainge

I'm also trying to autocreate a TOC in alphanumeric order. I have a project with about 2000 topics with numeric names.
    I still don't understand how to define the custom order. If I search for "custom order" or "custom sort" in RH Help, the only results refer to this thread or the similiar thread about alphabetizing the TOC in RH 8.

By the way, if you need to create a TOC manually in alphanumeric order, it is faster to select all the topics from the topic list and drag and drop into the TOC, rather than dragging the topics one at a time from the PM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points