Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Gigabyte recalls X79 motherboards due to overheating.

Dec 27, 2011 1:43 PM

Gigabyte has recalled their new X79 motherboards because of overheating problems when overclocking. A new BIOS update was released to alleviate the overheating problem.

See http://www.gigabyte.tw/press-center/news-page.aspx?nid=1077

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 27, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

Gigabyte has recalled their new X79 motherboards because of overheating problems when overclocking.

Interesting.  I tried to build a new system based on their X79-UD5 motherboard, and for the life of me I couldn't get it to POST into its BIOS setup.  No amount of keyboard pressing (or smashing) would get me past the opening screen.  I tried even swapped the motherboard with a new one (along with the 3930k chip, if you believe that).

That was the first system I ventured away from my usual stand-by of Asus.  I thought Gigabyte had a good name, but it left a fairly bad taste in my mouth.

jas

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 27, 2011 7:28 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks Harm.  I have the same X79-UD5 which was still on F3 (the latest firmware is F7).  The update lost my boot sequence btw.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Dec 28, 2011 5:45 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Toms Hardware now has an item about the issue complete with a picture of a toasted X79-UD3:  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gigabyte-MOSFET-G1.Assassin-2-GA-X79- UD3-GA-X79-UD5,14374.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,

Thanks for this. I was going to build a new rig with the Gigabyte X79-UD7, but decided to go with ADK instead. Now that I think about it, I better call Eric Bowen at ADK to explain what I meant when I asked him to build me a smokin' machine! I'd hate for him to misunderstand and use one of the affected moboards in order to grant my request!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks for the tip Harm! I've got a GA-X79-UD5 at the moment and it's been rock steady through all my stress testing so far (Only RAM OC'd). It's quite scary though - I chopped the heatpipe off the VRM sink to install a waterblock on the X79. I just hope heat was flowing from X79 to VRM sink, and not the other way round! Otherwise, perhaps I'm in for a nasty shock... No warranties now that my heatsink is cut in half

Looks like Gigabyte are only recalling the BIOS though, not admitting a hardware fault.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points