Skip navigation
TheBlackXacto
Currently Being Moderated

Why do pallets (except Tools) disappear?

Jan 2, 2012 4:24 PM

27" iMac, 12gigRAM, OSX6.8 CS5:

Why do my pallets disappear, ALL except Tool Pallets, only to reappear if I hit the "F" key sequence?

Is this something new in CS5? Or have I changed a Pref setting unknowingly. It's a real nuisance having

to hit FKey to get my pallets to reappear, then suddenly they are gone after I do some type of action in CS5 Photoshop.

The weird thing is that I cannot go to the Window/Workspace (which I have created) and reset the workspace, they are all grayed out.

What action have I taken to make this happen while working in CS5 Photoshop?

It's like I have to quit and restart the project, but I know that can't be right.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2012 8:14 PM   in reply to TheBlackXacto

Is your installed Photoshop updated to version 12.0.4?

Have you actually saved your workspace with the desired panels selected in the menu and open?  Incidentally, they're called panels now, not palettes (much less "pallets").

Which saved workspace have you set as your default workspace?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 8:32 PM   in reply to TheBlackXacto

I asked you whether your installed Photoshop is updated to version 12.0.4.  You indicate "V12x64", which tells me you are NOT updated to version 12.0.4 (x64 is usually a Windows spec; we're in the Photoshop Macintosh forum here, the forums will be merged tomorrow), so you are using an unstable release that is already three versions behind.

No one has any obligation to reply to any given post in these user to user forums.  I'm not going to waste any more of my time with you, since you are incapable of answering simple questions or using adequate terminology.  Lose the attitude first.

Good luck.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了m

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to Tai Lao

They were called palettes for about 15 years.  "Panels" came from inexperienced designers attempting to leave their mark on established applications.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Oh, I remember the move from the palettes nomenclature to panels well.  It came at the same time that they began messing up the Photoshop interface with the Macromedia-tized Flash-like elements and the nearly invisible scroll bars and miniature menus on the right corners. 

"Pallets" were not officially used at any time that I can remember.

palette |ˈpalit| noun
    a thin board or slab on which an artist lays and mixes colors.
    • the range of colors used by a particular artist or in a particular picture : I choose a palette of natural, earthy colors.

• figurative the range or variety of tonal or instrumental color in a musical piece : he commands the sort of tonal palette that this music needs.
    • (in computer graphics) the range of colors or shapes available to the user.

ORIGIN late 18th cent.: from French, diminutive of paleshovel,’ from Latin palaspade.’

=======

pallet  |ˈpalit| noun
    a straw mattress.
       • a crude or makeshift bed.

ORIGIN Middle English : from Anglo-Norman French paillete, from paille‘straw,’ from Latin palea.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points