Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

With a calibrated screen and Photoshop CS3 I am not getting the printed photo accurately.Why?

Jan 3, 2012 4:12 AM

Whith a calibrated screen and Photoshop CS3 I'm not getting the printed photo accurately as it is on the screen.WHY ? I'm using Photoshop CS3 to govern print.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to MartonMoshe

Because a calibrated monitor has no bearing on the printed output. They are two separate paths. Each needs to be properly color managed, independently, to give a good match between them.

What a calibrated monitor does give you is a reference: this is what the print should look like. But you still have to watch your calibration targets, especially luminance (not too bright, or the prints will come out too dark).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to MartonMoshe

I suggest you repost this in the new Photoshop General Discussion forum, because this one closes down today and becomes read-only.

The short answer is that - in the PS print dialog - you set PS to manage color and pick the correct profile for the printer and paper.

Then open the printer driver and disable printer color management (because you don't want double profiling). You still need to have the correct paper type selected (this has to do with the amount of ink the printer will use).

All this varies a bit from printer to printer, so if you repost include details about your printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 5:51 AM   in reply to MartonMoshe

Adobe RGB (1998) is not a printer profile,  it is an image profile.  A printer profile is specific to your printer, paper type, and ink used.  They are generated by printing a standard chart, measuring each color, and processing the data to generate a printer profile.  You can purchase software and hardware to use in generating printer profiles, or you can use a service to generat them for you.  In some cases you can download printer profiles for your printer/paper combination.  You are missing one step in the printring process (you don't have a printer profile).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to MartonMoshe

>click here< to get to the new forum.

b2martin is correct. You need to watch your profiles and where they go. Think of it this way: you have a source profile, which is the document profile, Adobe RGB. Then you need a destination profile which is specific for the printer/paper/ink.

Unfortunately, HP is one of those companies that don't trust people to think for themselves, they believe they have to do it for you. So it's a very real possibility that they don't even supply profiles. Look through the dropdown list for things like "hp premium glossy" or similar (whatever paper you're using). If there's nothing there, you'll have to resort to "Printer manages color", and pray that the printer understands what Adobe RGB is. This is one of those things I hate HP for, a pity since they make very good hardware.

Or make your own profiles as per above.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to MartonMoshe

MartonMoshe wrote:

See attached Doc.1

Use the forum web interface, don't reply via email - your attachments are just forever lost in cyberspace and no one sees them. And you don't see the links or images we post here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points