Skip navigation
auntof4
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS crashes when using Save As

May 28, 2010 6:57 PM

Until just recently, my Photoshop CS worked great on my Dell laptop running Windows Vista.

Now, whenever I try to Save As a photo file in Photoshop, the program closes without any error message. At times I can catch a glimpse of the dialogue box that normally appears when doing a Save As.

I have tried numerous things today to get Photoshop working, but nothing has helped. I did some maintenance on my computer, including disk cleanup, etc.; as well as uninstalling and then re-installing my Photoshop CS program, which I have on a disk. The rest of the program works fine, and I can do a Save and a Save For Web.

Does anyone have any tips for correcting this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2010 12:46 AM   in reply to auntof4

Try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2010 8:15 AM   in reply to auntof4

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 1:02 AM   in reply to John Joslin

thank you for posting this question, I am facing the same problem.

I've tried deleting the preference files by using the Option, Command, and Shift method. But I am not able to get the confirmation dialog box.

@John Joslin and @auntof4: how did you get the confirmation dialog box to appear?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Ab85

John has passed to the great Photoshop in the sky.

If you want to reset preferences click to start Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down the Ctrl + Alt + Shift for a Windows machine.  It is a little tricky so keep trying until you get the reset window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y wrote:

John has passed to the great Photoshop in the sky.

It's funny how it never feels that way, isn't it? Every time one of his old posts pop up, I feel like adding a little comment just to say "Hi, John!"

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points