Currently Being Moderated

Hallelujha - this site opens links in a new Window

Dec 28, 2011 1:07 AM

At last.

Its never done this for me before!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 28, 2011 7:34 AM   in reply to shooternz

Maybe my comment in the Video Lounge a few weeks ago got acted upon by one of the forum mods?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2011 10:02 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

Some do, but some do not. I like it best, when they do.

Hallelujha

Hunt

PS - I also like The Canadian Tenors' cover too! They performed it for one of our recent charity functions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I have verizon fios in nyc area as my 'service provider" ( isp ). it is fiber optic and they ( verizon ) offered cool deal to get it connected to my 'house' ...( put box on side of house and run wires to house and run wires to my apartment )

HOW COOL !

The way this works .... they put tons of money into running fiber optic cables and "stations" ( to boost signals ) in your area.. and offer service and then with subscribers ( me ) pay for the big expense of running that stuff in the neighborhood... ( eg. using telephone poles, underground cables, or whatever it takes ).

Sooo, basically they run the infrastructure... eat that cost as an investment,... and then get subscribers ( me ) and run it to the house ( customer ... again.. me ).

It came with the deal that I would keep it for at least a year...or I would have to pay some money to them " more" than the monthly charge.

That makes sense to me.

what happens next is.... ( I'm not kidding ) .... they keep offering new subscribers cool deals ( less money per month to get fios than the original customers got as a deal ) and get more and more customers.

Again, makes sense to me... as long as Im not screwed by being an original customer TOO MUCH compared to new ones...( but I have year contract so I have no grounds for complaint really )

Plus.. Im happy anyway.  really !  Its a good service etc...

But NOW...as the customers continue to grow and put pressure on the bandwidth ( yes, even fiber optic gets maxed out at some point )... Verizon is now doing little things to catch up with reality.

For example, if you're not logged into an active site using the internet.. they will shut that part of the service down temporarily ( think in terms of networks and open connections but no " action " ( timeout ) ).

Now.. .when you DO IN FACT try to go from a state of inactivity to a 'connection' you have to wait ( as the client ) for the connection to be made via handshake and so on....

In other words.. if you're not using it...they naturally dump you from the network " active" IP numbers...and when needed ( get request from you IP ) reconnnect you to the service.

This makes sense.. it gets rid of the chaff and opens up more bandwidth for users currently active.

This ( when you think about what movies and music etc is gonna do to the resources in the future -- demand vs bandwidth available ) is a HUGE PROBLEM for everyone... cause frankly it aint gonna happen.

YOU will have to pay more for the higher bandwidth and for the constant connection on demand etc...and the fiber optics will be over taxed in a huge way... probably within 2 more years...

Luckily Verizon figured out that by charging mobile devices etc a $2 fee to actually pay their bills , will bring them a lot more money ... so that they can run more fiber optic cables and so on....cause they already know they are over their heads re: giving customers what they promise.

Should't this be nationalized ?? 

ps.. oh.. I forgot.. hallelujha to you all

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

For me, it's dependent on the link, and maybe even how it's coded into the Reply. As an example, Rod recently posted a NYT (IIRC) link to an article on Bordeaux wines from the '08 vintage. It always opens in a separate window, and I have looked at it 3x. However, I also encounter many, that do NOT open in a separate window.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yeah, in order for it to open in a new window, the code ‘target=”_blank”’

must be included in the link reference. However, it is possible to force

that site wide on the backend, which is what my question to the mods

several weeks ago was asking for…

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to davidbeisner2010

=======

However, it is possible to force

that site wide on the backend, which is what my question to the mods

several weeks ago was asking for…

=======

hmm, thats interesting.. didnt know that...

on server side... what do you do to make that happen? using what... php, asp-dotnet, etc ??

must be in the header someplace on all pages, before body ??

just curious.. dont do that stuff now

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to shooternz

This used to annoy me until I found out to hold down the ctrl when opening a link.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)