Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Adobe Air on Mac OS 10.5.6

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2009 Mar 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I cannot, for the life of me, get Adobe AIR to install on my Mac Pro. Whenever I open the installer I get this message:
quote:

An error occurred while installing Adobe AIR. Installation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator.

I AM, in fact, the administrator of this computer and I'm logged into said account, but I continue to get this error. I made sure to repair my permissions, but of course that proved nothing. Can anyone provide some insight into this? I don't know how to get the installer to log and/or where to find these logs, so help with that would be great too.

Thanks!
Tyler
TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you an older air version installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, that would be important information to include. My apologies. I have Adobe Creative Suite installed and I believe it "installed" version 1.1 on my computer but I cannot seem to locate it. Adobe's uninstaller doesn't allow for the uninstallation of AIR, so I'm confused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you find Adobe AIR Uninstaller in /Applications/Utilities?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking in my Utilities folder, I find the following:

• Adobe Installer/Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium

That appears to be an alias to the Adobe uninstaller for Creative Suite in my Application Support folder. Opening this uninstaller allows me to essentially uninstall EVERYTHING except AIR.

There are also these folders...

• Adobe Utilities/Adobe Updater6
• Adobe Utilities/ExtendScript Toolkit CS4
• Adobe Utilities/Pixel Bender Toolkit

I tried using Spotlight to find anything to do with Adobe AIR. I tried searching "Adobe AIR", "AdobeAIR", "AIR" and of course "Adobe", and I could not find an application called Adobe AIR nor could I find an uninstaller.

Is it possible it could be hidden? Does that happen? I'm such a computer dunce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2009 Mar 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so after looking ALL over the damned internet, I finally found a solution to my problem. So, as it turns out, I did in fact have an old version of AIR installed somewhere on my computer. But, there wasn't an uninstaller to be found. So, I found some code to use in Terminal to use the latest installer to uninstall the program.

"./Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

This didn't quite work for me. It attempted to uninstall all versions of AIR but it failed.

After searching some more, I found that I could use the following code to allow some "extra privileges" in order to successfully uninstall the program.

sudo "./Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

It prompted me for a password, I entered the admin password and voila!

I then opened the Adobe AIR installer and it works like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2009 Dec 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tyler - I've had EXACTLY this same problem with the Creative Suite and until now haven't seen anyone else who had the same situa

tion or any solution. Your solution was spot on. I had to make one little change in the sudo command (no spaces in the .app name).

sudo "./AdobeAIRInstaller.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer" -uninstall

Thanks. Now I can finally run Tweetdeck and Balsamiq on Mac OS X.

Mitchell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2010 Feb 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does it mean to post some code. I have never done this.I do not know where to put in the code. I tried deleting adobe air from frameworks, but it didn't fix the problem.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; the

sudo "Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Air Installer" -uninstall

worked perfectly for me after I made my way to the Applications directory. Glad to finally find this after suffering with missing features & help for a couple of years now. (Running MacOS X 10.6.8; never had working help for Photoshop Elements 8 or 9 until now.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you solve the problem.

I have been a little busy to answer to this question.

I have to say, you probably won't say you are a computer dunce in the future. Otherwise people won't tell you to do something like "sudo ..".

You have done very well by your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2010 Jan 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the previous version of Adobe AIR wasn't properly uninstalled, that might cause a problem. I had the same issue. I went to Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks and found the old version of Adobe AIR framework. After deleting it everything was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem. Same fix. Voila! So grateful to you for posting this advice. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2010 Jul 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this error is still around over a year later. I have tried EVERY thing mentioned here and STILL cannot install Adobe AIR. I have Mac OS 10.5.8 - the only difference I get "command not found" when I try the command line option.

This is absolute nonsense!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2010 Jul 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Took a peek at the log file from  the install. Interesting:

Jul   9 20:27:24  /Volumes/Adobe AIR 1/Adobe AIR   Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer[1088]: error during   install: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false   eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception Error: Could not create   directory /Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns/airappinstaller" errorID=3010]

So  I went to the directory Applications  and found there was an old text  file called "Adobe". I renamed that text  file, than ran the Adobe AIR  installer and it WORKED!!!

So  make sure you take a peek at the log files  at:

/private/var/log/system.log

Thanks!

Leslie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, Leslie. I signed up for this forum just to add my support for your reply. The silliest thing is that Adobe placed the Adobe file there in the first place. When you look at it closer, it has some notification text about upgrading from a trial version of Photoshop or something. We did that, but this file was not removed and prevented Air installer from upgrading 1.1 to 2.

Thanks for the tip.

Z

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!!! Thank you so much!

For those of you out there that have trouble finding the file, like I did, just search in Finder for a document named Adobe and rename or delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leslie,

You hit the nail on the head! This was exactly my problem. I've been going in circles trying all previous solutions. I'm glad I persisted and found your post.

$ grep "Adobe AIR Installer" /private/var/log/system.log

revealed

Aug 10 21:11:20 bhavana-3 /Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer[1781]: Error occurred; beginning rollback: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Unhandled exception Error: Could not create directory /Applications/Adobe/Flash Player/AddIns/airappinstaller" errorID=3010]

So I deleted /Applications/Adobe and that worked perfectly!

Thanks so much.

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator Note: Moved to the Installation Issues forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried uninstalling, and it apparently did so (I had 1.5 or something like that installed).  There was an app for Uninstall.  But I still cannot get the dog-gone new version to install.

Why did the new version offer to update the older version, and then fail to do so or go to completion?  Why should I have to uninstall it manually when there was no dialogue to that effect?

I tried the text in Terminal, but no such folder exists.

So I no longer have Air installed for the applications which require it, and I cannot get a new version to install.  I click on the Adobe AIR Installer icon, it apparently starts - it shows up in the Dock.  But nothing, nada, beyond that.

Here's some of the error report I get:

Process:         Adobe AIR Installer [1350]

Path:            /Volumes/Adobe AIR/Adobe AIR Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe AIR Installer

Identifier:      com.adobe.air.Installer

Version:         2.0.2 (2.0.2.12610)

Code Type:       X86 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [214]

Date/Time:       2010-08-02 18:01:00.039 -0700

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          490293 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           12

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  809 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   6

Anonymous UUID:                      7CD0C31E-4CD1-47C3-925D-490C053D72AE

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000000000c

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

What to do?  Why is this such a PITA app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rnfee,

Can you verify if you still have folders/files present from previous AIR?

-Uninstaller file under /Applications/Utilities folder.  If still present can launch uninstall?

-Is there an AIR folder under /Library/Frameworks/   Adobe AIR.framwork folder?

Similar to lizbethkirk reply Jul 10.  Make sure you have rights to Adobe folders in the follwoing paths if present and that the file also named "Adobe" is not present:

To test if the locked Adobe folders are causing error for the AIR  installation...

Can you rename the "Adobe" folders if present and try your specific installation/uninstallation ?

1)  /Applications/Adobe   - rename Adobe folder to oldAdobe

2)  /Users/"your user name"/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe -  rename Adobe folder to oldAdobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2010 Nov 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is interested, one of the Adobe engineers posted a temp fix (Apple script) that you can download and run.  Use at your own risk of course, but I ran it and it fixed my issues instantly (repairing permissions and removing the excess /Applications/Adobe folder if it exists).

I assume they're working on a more perminent fix (maybe even incorporating something like this into the next AIR installer.  who knows), but until then this fix got me back up and running.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3272498#3272498

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2010 Nov 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions worked for me on 10.6.5. What finally worked was deleting the folder Users/Shared/Library/ApplicationSupport/Adobe. No idea why. No idea why Adobe's uninstaller could not do that. No idea why it took so long to figure this out. No idea why adobe let's problems like this fester. I am a developer, trying to create Air applications, and it took me several frustrating hours to try this random act of desperation. What's an average user to do? I have only one clue to Adobe's behavior: When I contacted Adobe about this, they insisted I buy a support contract before they would help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2010 Nov 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry you ran into installer issues with AIR.  Its odd that the applescript didn't help you, as it specifically tries to adjust the properties of Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/Adobe.  We definitely don't want these problems to fester, believe me I want them fixed asap.  Would you mind posting your AIR log so I can take a look and see if anything pops out at me?  I'd like to update the script and more importantly, get another bug in our database to fix the root issue if you were seeing something we aren't aware of.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS was the only thing that worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines