Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Search Function does not work in Community Help

Jan 7, 2012 12:41 PM

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

I use the Adobe Master Suite and have enjoyed the Community Help Application/Client.  I could do online searches for information with no issues.   In checking were I stood as far as offline documenation, I decided to download all of the Suite Documentation through the CHC Perferences through the Updater Settings and doing a manual download.  I believe (though not positive) is when my problems began.

First, I have a MacBook Pro runing OSX 10.6.8 with FireFox Browser 9.01 (not sure the browser information is needed).  Adobe Community Help Version is 3.5.0.23 and the Adobe AIR application is version 3.1

At this point I am able to view the online help files in the main viewing screen.  However, when I try and do a search, nothing shows up excpet a little dynamic clock icon showing that it is working and eventually it comes back with a dialog that says:  "An unexpected error has occured.  Please try your search again."

Here is the screen shot before the search:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy26/thebestcpu/NAPP%20General/Screenshot2012-01-07at12237PM.png

And here is the image after trying a search:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy26/thebestcpu/NAPP%20General/Screenshot2012-01-07at12304PM.png

After several attempts to fix this myself, I am not asking help on the forum.  The last attemp I made was to

- Uninstall AIR using the uninstall app under Applicaitons/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app

- Deleted the folder   "user"/Library/Preferences/chc.4875E02D9FB21EE389F73B8D1702B320485DF8 CE.1

- Running the AIR installer (I downloaded the most recent version): Adobe AIR Installer.app

- And then running the Adobe CHC help application directly: Adobe Help.app

If I set preferences to open up in a Browser, that works just fine yet would prefer to use the CHC interface.

Thanks in advance for any help including pointers on how to dig myself out of this hole I seem to be in.

John

ADDED EDIT: When I click the OK button on the error dialog, the main view window again shows the Adobe help information as in the first image.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to thebestcpu

I have the same problem.

Can anyone assist?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to thebestcpu

Me too.  I had assumed it was linked to me not being able to download the Elements local content.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to thebestcpu

Same here. On Windows 7 using CS5. This is an Adobe problem. Someone needs to fix this ...

R.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to thebestcpu

Hi;  thakns for reporting the issue. We are investigating now.  In the meanwhile, please use the online, web search here: http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html

Make sure to select the appropriate product in the pull-down menu to ensure optimum results.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to thebestcpu

Hi thanks for getting this reported, it is happening to me as well. Hope Mark can get it back soon, I depend on it so much.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,038 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to swfteach

There is a thread on the topic on the Photoshop forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4124703#4124703

Strange, it works in CS4

But you guys are able to go to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/index.html right?

It might be useful to know that you can set Community Help Sites as a search engine in your browser (it should offer you to register itself as a search engine, while Safari users have to add Glims to add additional search engines.) http://blogs.adobe.com/communityhelp/2009/01/opensearch_plugins_availa ble_f.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Just FYI, its not working in Flash either. It appears as thebestcpu described. I'm W7 64, CS5.5, it was working fine, I noticed it Saturday.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to swfteach

It appears to be working for me right now. 

But I just had an AIR update notice pop up, let me update everything.

Sigh. 4 update installs later...

Still working.  Either they fixed the problem, or it might be location dependent (and no, I'm not in the office).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to thebestcpu

Hi:  yes, search is working normally in the Help app now.  There was an issue with the servers that handle the search requests -- the team is keeping a close eye on things to ensure that it won't happen again. Thanks for your patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to thebestcpu

Seems to be working fine now! And you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

THANKS!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to thebestcpu

Working fine now for me.

Thanks and please pass back to those behind the scenes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 8:18 PM   in reply to Mark Nichoson

I have Creative Suite Standard CS5.5. I am using InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator. When I tried to access the application Adobe Community Help, I run a search for any of the above programs and the search shows nothing in the right panel. I tested selecting and copying one of the "white" pages and the text shows readable in a Word document. Something is happening, the text, links, etc. are INVISIBLE in the right panel. My CS is updated, and I recently updated Air as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points