Skip navigation
dennisbthomas
Currently Being Moderated

PRE10 Can't create DVD or ISO

Jan 6, 2012 6:54 PM

Tags: #dvd #premiere_elements_10 #iso #elements_10

I have a project that won't let me create a DVD or ISO file.

I can create a computer mpg file and a web DVD file using the same project.

This project has 5 menu items using the Beach Menu disc menu.

The source is from a 8mm Tape creating a .avi file.

There is no error message and the program displays the normal

messages as the DVD process procedes. The only noted is that it doesn't

spend much time writing the DVD, which makes sense, since there is nothing

on the DVD.

I tested another file with exactly the same attibutes except using a shorter video file but

with 5 menu items using the same Beach Menu.

This worked just fine.

Using windows 7x64 and PRE10 with all latest updates.

Any help on identify the issue/problem or a workaround.

Many thanks

Dennis

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to dennisbthomas

If you'll work through the steps in our troubleshooting FAQ and tell us in as much detail in possible what your results are for each step, we can usually diagnose the problem and recommend solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318

BTW, how did you capture the 8mm video as AVIs -- and did you confirm that they are DV-AVIs? (If they are, you should see no red lines above them when you add them to your video project.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to dennisbthomas

Sorry, but I can see nothing in what you've listed that would indicate where the problem lies.

You can see if running Advanced System Care Free makes a difference. You may have some invisible junk clogging up your drives.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

And you can try doing a Save As to save your project file under a different name in a new folder to see if that allows you to burn to a folder on your hard drive. (Sometimes, if you've failed creating a DVD, the old work files get mixed up with the new when you try it again. Saving your project under a new name in a new folder allows the program to make a new attempt in a fresh workspace.)

But beyond that, I'm afraid I can't be of much help, based on what you've reported. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to dennisbthomas

dennisbthomas wrote:

2.    Burn to a folder rather than directly to a disc. Select this option from Share/Output/Disc. This eliminates the possibility that other disk burning software is interfering with communication with your computer’s burner. Once the disk files are created, you can use your computer’s burner software to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disk.

When a project fails to create a DVD it also fails to create a folder. The process looks normal under the Burning Disc message. It shows about 2% then quickly goes to 99% then ends, without any output.

I'm not clear from your reply if you actually tried the Burn to Folder option. It sounds as though you are monitoring PRE's temporary files. In the Share> Disc> DVD dialog you should actually set PRE to burn directly to a folder.

1.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to dennisbthomas

Did you place a marker at the very end of your timeline ? If so that probably caused the problem. PRE automatically assumes an end of timeline marker and can cause burning problems if you also place one there.

If you did try your original project again after deleting the marker at the end.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to dennisbthomas

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I can't burn a disc or create an ISO. Here is what I have done so far to try to solve the problem:

1. I started from scratch with a new project and deleted the old one and am using the same source video files. (mpgs captured from vhs) FYI: I had a large collection of home movies on VHS that I captured to mpg format and have been able to successfully create and burn every single one with Premiere Elements until now. Nothing has changed. No hardware changes. No project changes. Nothing. Except for Elements itself. I started with PE8 and I am now using PE10. But still, I have completed several project with 10 just fine. So...

2. I have tried both animated and unanimated main and scene menu buttons.

3. I deleted all the menu markers and let PE create them for me.

This project consists of four scenes just like Dennis's movie. Only they are four separate clips and I don't want the movie to play all the way through so I need stop markers the the end of each clip. Back when I started doing all these projects I noticed that if I left a two frame gap between each scene, the movie would work better. If I didn't, I would see the first frame of the next scene when the previous one stopped. I would also see the end of a prior scene when skipping the next scene.

Will my problem be solved if I close the gaps? If I close all the gaps, where do I put the stop menu buttons? Somewhere before the end of the scene right? I am going to keep trying different combinations either way but if anyone has any input I would be great appreciative.

PE10.jpg

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Welcome to the forum.

You do not want any gaps in the Video. Instead, go to the New Icon, and create Black Video. If that two Frame separation is working for you, then in the Source Monitor, Trim your Black Video (it will be created with the Duration set in Edit>Preferences) to 2 Frames, and just place it between your Clips. Gaps can cause Transcoding to fail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Now, here are some more tips and comments:

Transfering the VHS tapes to MPEG is not a good choice. MPEG is heavily compressed, and is also GOP (Group of Pictures - more on that in a moment), which means that there is only about one I-Frame per every 12 - 15 Frames. When you Burn a DVD, you are Transcoding to MPEG-2, so your material will be compressed, all over again, loosing quality. Transfering those tapes to DV-AVI is a much better option. This ARTICLE will give you detail. Internally, PrE must convert the MPEG files into full I-Frame for Frame-accurate editing, and those are basically DV-AVI files. Though only lightly-compressed, it is still another compression step for material, VHS, that was not the best to begin with.

Now, this ARTICLE goes into more detail on GOP structure.

Also, PrE cannot create an ISO (Image), but only Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder for DVD. Now, with a program, like ImgBurn, one can convert the VIDEO_TS Folder (created with Burn to Folder) into an ISO, if they need to.

Also, one does not want a Stop Marker at the end of the Timeline. If you have one, remove it.

For more involved navigation, I recommend Sony's DVD Architect, as PrE's DVD navigation is quite limited.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to dennisbthomas

Yes, Markers being placed too closely together, or a Stop Marker placed at the end of the Timeline, can cause Transcoding and Burn to Disc, or Burn to Folder, to fail.

PrE cannot create an ISO (Image file), but if one does a Burn to Folder, creating the VIDEO_TS Folder and necessary files, they can use the free ImgBurn to create an ISO from that VIDEO_TS Folder.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Update:

I tried it again after closing all the gaps. Didn't work.

Then I tried it with gaps and Black Video inserted in the gaps. Didn't work.

My last option that I know of is to Save As to a different folder or hard drive. Should I save as or save a copy? Does it matter? Or should I just delete the entire project first, then start a new one, and save it somewhere else?

I do not have stop markers at the end of the timeline and the stop and start markers are two frames appart. The last scene has the credits attached directly to it with no markers in between and, of course, nothing at the end. Hope that clears it up a little.

Thank you Bill for you help so far!

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Save, Save_As, and Save_As_a_Copy are ONLY for the PREL files, and are not any form of Export/Share. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

I may have missed it, and if so, apologize, but have you been able to Burn to Folder?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Well, I COMPLETELY deleted the entire project and started from scratch and it still will not burn. I am at a complete loss. The project is now on a totaly different drive. Do the clips have to be rendered? I haven't rendered clips in any of my previous projects. Either way, I have tried buring this project both ways. Any ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 4:41 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Rendering the Timeline is useful for smoothest playback, and might shave a few moments off the Transcoding operation (cannot remember if PrE uses the Render files, like PrPro does).

Now, when you attempt to Burn to Disc, with that new Project, do you get any error messages? If so, what was the exact text of those error messages?

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

No error messages at all. It goes through the encoding process which take a few minutes. Then it says "Burning Disc". The progress bar starts to fill and my burner starts to spin up but then it immediately spits the disc out. If I have it set to make three copies, the message just says disc 1 of 3 is complete, please insert the next disc. I have never seen any error messages. I know my burner is functioning properly. I just don't get it because ALL of my previous projects have been done the exact same way with the exact same file types and settings etc. And they all burned with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Another day, another try. Ha ha.

Well, I just tried burning to a folder and it goes through the same process and even fills the progress bar during the "burning" process like its saving the files to the folder. When I go to the folder there is nothing in it! I had it create a new folder on my desktop but there were no files in it when PrE was done.

I even cleared the media cache. Still not burning.

I just don't know what else could be causing this problem. Unless there is some setting somewhere that is causing it.

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

What about the files in the Encoded Files folder? Can I use ImgBurn to turn those files into an ISO? Here is the list of the files:

2001.prelEncodeComplete.tmp

MotionMenu0.ac3

MotionMenu0.m2v

MotionMenu0.xmp

MotionMenuEncodeComplete0.tmp

Movie.ac3

Movie.m2v

Movie.xmp

The name of the project is 2001.

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

I would not Burn to Folder in the Desktop Folder. It has some special attributes, and many Adobe programs have real issues working to/from the Desktop Folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 12:19 PM   in reply to atoddvr6

Andrew,

It looks like the process is crashing, before the Audio & Video have been muxed (into one MPEG-2 file with both Streams), and before the Vobulator has written them, plus the Menus and navigational info into the VOB containers, and then the IFO (Info), and BUP (Backup) files.

Something is going off, just before, or during the Vobulator process.

Wish that I had more to offer.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points