Skip navigation
Pierre Courtejoie 7,038 posts
Jan 11, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Platform translation thread.

Jan 30, 2012 2:45 AM

Hi all, in this thread, I'd like to gather all the specificities of one platform (Mac/PC) and its correspondence on the other side.

The core content, will then be used in a FAQ-style thread to help the transition to a cross-plaftorm forum.

I will start by listing common ones, such as shortcuts and location of menus (preferences...) location of files on the machine (fonts, preference files, presets, etc.)

This IMHO should be useful for those bringing help, or the ones being helped, or could figure in one's Resume

Feel free to add any platform-specific information you might run into.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 9, 2012 4:05 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Clever. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

In  Bridge two locations asked for frequently are keywords, collections and preferences.  For Win7 location:

Both can be found in C:/Users/user name/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/BridgeCS5/.  Confusion was apparent with this address until user finally found it and told me that appdata is a hidden file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Do Windows and Mac both have the same headings?

For photoshop   -  File, Edit, Image, Layer, - - - ?

For Bridge      -  File, Edit, Stacks, Label - - - - ?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 11, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

For Windows systems, people who experience display problems are often directed to go download the latest display driver from the web site of the maker of their video card.  For example, someone experiencing OpenGL problems on a desktop system equipped with a nVidia display card might find that visiting the nVidia.com web site and getting the latest display driver for their card and version of Windows corrects the problems, as nVidia (and the other graphics card makers) release updates all the time.  On a laptop PC system usually one has to go to the manufacturer of the laptop for the drivers.

What's the equivalent process for Apple systems?  Do users of Macs not have to deal with display drivers separately?  Do they have to go directly to Apple to get them?  Is there a difference between Apple desktops and Macbooks?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 5:22 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Usually, on the Mac, display drivers are bundled inside Operating System updates. I don't know about third party cards, if it is the same.

This is what I was going to comment on. 

Windows - Video card drivers - go to manufacturors web site and look up your make and model then download latest driver.

Apple - Apple has the drivers by default already installed in the OS software , just like the printer drivers.

The only thing the users have to do is catch up on the OSX software update. Also by default that is set to check once a week,  If you opt out of auto updates you have to do it manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Perhaps I missed it, but I could not find the Location of ACR on the preference file at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82893.html

In the past I have been refering users to Program Files/COMMON Files/Adobe/Plug-ins/CS5/File Formats which gives you Camera Raw.8bi.  There is no reference to version.

Do not know address for Mac.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jul 9, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Not sure if mentioning the Application Frame could be useful.  Always on for a PC, defaults to on (in Ps CS6) for a Mac, but can be disabled through the Window - Application Frame menu entry.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 11, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Might add location of programs running in background.  Can be a problem if Bridge set to Load at Startup.

PC Open Task Manager (crtl + alt + delete) and click on Processes Tab

MAC Hold down Ctrl + Shift keys??

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points