• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPad Digital Editions?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone heard of Digital Editions being develop[ed for the iPad?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I share some frustration with Fran! I have purchased a book from eBooks, passed it through ADE to unlock DRM in hopes of loading the "purchased item" onto my iPad and I get a message stating it cannot be done as it is DRM protected. I've always thought that a purchased eBook or ePub become DRM free once it has been unlocked by ADE; am I wrong? Too many steps so far! Buy a book, import to ADE, import to Calibre and still unable to load onto iPad. Title is unavailable in iBooks -- go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's an iPhone/iPod app called txtr that will be able to open it.

You do need to have set up an Adobe ID before opening the file on your computer, though--your iPhone will be a second device associated to that same Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2011 Nov 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have downloaded the Txtr app and have activated my adobe ID. Hopw do I get the book on the IPAD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2011 Dec 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the procedure below.

Go to http://txtr.com/ (Germany company who are working with Adobe to make a way for Adobe DRM protected ebooks to be transferred to Apple and Android devices).

(Note the process will continue to be refined as textr work with Adobe in coming months.)

Download an ebook (for example an EBL ebook) to Adobe Digital Editions installed on your computer.

Login to your txtr account, select the ME option and then select Upload texts at the bottom of the Private Texts box.

A window will come up asking you to select a file to upload to txtr.com.

Navigate to your My Digital Editions folder on your computer. If using Windows XP it will be located at C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Digital Editions\

If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 it will be located at C:\Users\username\Documents\My Digital Editions\

Select the PDF or ePub file for the book you want to upload to txtr.com. The book will then upload to txtr.com and appear in your Private Texts box.

Go to the App Store and download the free txtr app to your iPad or mobile device.

Open the txtr app on your iPad or mobile device. Go to Settings and then Login with your txtr username and password.

Secondly select the AdobeID option (that will say not activated) and enter in your Adobe ID to activate your Adobe ID.

Then on your mobile device go to Library and select Private Texts and any ebooks you have uploaded to txtr.com now appear here.

Select the ebook and then select the Download button and the book is now downloaded to the mobile device or iPad and available for reading.

It did work for me!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great instructions.  

GreatThis worked perfectly.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, Bluefire is the answer, just tried it and it was quick and easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through the trouble of creating an adobe id just to say: "Adobe, if you want to add drm on files, kindly make sure you provide a proper app to IOS and Android, you ....recanted..

This makes people revert to piracy because it is ALOT easier than to have to be a computer expert to navigate this spider web of DRM just to read a book on my IPAD!"

Thanks very much pastorjlo for the txtr help. I will be using THAT store in the future.

Kind Regards to all you awesome people sharing the pain

Swartblits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered this thread after sharing similar frustrations with ADE and IPad. The .ascm file that's created in your DE directory on your computer when you buy a DRM-protected book is just the key that unlocks the pdf of the book file, the one that you read within DE.

Unlikely that there will be an IPad version of DE anytime soon, given the Flash wars between Adobe and Apple. But there is a workaround via an IPad app called Txtr, which can unlock (legally) and display ebooks that are DRM-protected. After you download the app, it allows you to register your Adobe ID and thus link your IPad with it, like you do with your desktop; then you need to email or otherwise upload the pdf file on your computer to a txtr dropbox, and then download it to your IPad using the Txtr app. You can then read the file on your IPad within Txtr. Laborious process, but it works.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an ipad and download books without going through ADE. There are lots of books available and after buying an e-reader a year ago, which I was only ever able to download one book to, there is absolutely no way I am going anywhere near ADE again. The support is awful and I never did get my issues resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, not very user friendly. And, anyway, there are Kindle and Nook apps for the IPad. My problem was in downloading and reading galley proofs of as-yet unpublished books not yet available at any ebook store. They're almost always DRM-protected, and that means I'm tied to ADE as the only way to read them. Thus, the Txtr option for reading them on the IPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Txtr works with purchased books, but it does not work with books borrowed from a public library. I am looking for a way to read these books on the iPad, there is no App for that at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2010 Nov 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now an app BlueFIre reader that works with public library books.

http://www.bluefirereader.com/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Note: blue fire

reader cost $3.99 to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2010 Dec 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe! Make an iPad Digital Edition...

WE WANT TO READ OUR EBOOKS ON THE IPAD, not on the stupid, slow, buggy, horrible desktop version.

With this actions, everyday you loose and loose fans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 06, 2010 Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plenty of choices for reading books on the iPad, and as Fran mentioned above the BlueFire Reader is my favorite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2011 Mar 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DRM only causing hassle to us. We paid for ebooks and still have no rights over them as we have for books that we can even borrow to friends.

Calibre staff is right saying that "Customers will inevitably lose the ebooks they buy. I wonder how long these companies will be in business? Or even if they care."

The only solution is to stop buying ebooks. We better look for free DRM ebooks until ePublishers stop to steer people away from this possibility of freedom simply to maintain their relevance in world developing so fast that they cant keep up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 24, 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There

I am having similar problems.   I wanted a technical book and eventually found it electronically at Taylor and Francis.  Trying to download it to my ipad caused a hiccup but they were very helpful in getting the book to me on my laptop, but realised no way to get it onto the ipad despite their help.  I chose the Adobe version because that is usually the best format for a variety of platforms, but still can't load it there despite loading txtr. I only have a download link and Safari won't use it. Still not certain which Adobe app I need to read it with - digital editions works on the laptop -. Any suggestions?  Can't Adobe and Apple just make friends for us poor saps out here? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horrivel, too bad, odiei esse adobe. Shit. Nunca mais compro ebbok pre essa porcaria desse adobe. Quero ler meus livros no iPad. You lost this war adobe, you lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the txtr reply of Dec 2 and some screens had different names ie. no ME option or Private Texts but My Books. All worked as described until it came time to download ebook in Txtr app library on iPad. Message appeared "Could Not Download Document - There was a problem loading the document" It was an EPUB library book downloaded with Adobe Digital Editions to my computer and I tried it with 2 different books.

Any ideas ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 06, 2012 Jan 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased my first eBook with the belief that I could read it on my iPad using txtr. However, although you can seem to upload the files following the method pastorjlo mentions above, txtr does not seem to allow files sizes greater than 20MB. My book is a large (expensive) text book of 47MB which I can not read where I need to read it.

If anyone has any suggestions about how to reduce the file size or divide the book up into three parts I would be greatful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bluefire works but the instructions on how to load a book are FOUR PAGES LONG!  One person above lists a simple 20 STEP PROCESS to load a book.

(Meanwhile back at the library) [crickets chirp] Marianne (madame librarian):  I wonder why nobody is using our wonderful new ebooks? Well, I suppose I'll just go dust the old paper books again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For library books, I download a free app named Overdrive. I can even access the library through it. I used them for audiobooks on my Zune and they provided great support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to transfer DRM .epub books to iPad is to use Dropbox. 

The Dropbox app on the iPad can then open them in Bluefire.

Dropbox will initially say 'Unable to view file', but if you click on the top right icon in Dropbox it will give options such as 'Open in Bluefire Reader' and 'Open in OverDrive', depending what is installed.

(Just checked, the Bluefire option works fine but that route into OverDrive doesn't seem to work for me.)

Still a bit indirect, but saves the horrors of iTunes (for those whose opinion of iTunes is similar to mine ....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely true. Thought I'd add that I was able to accomplish same even more easily by using CrashPlan, which already had my whole computer backed up, so all I had to do was go "restore" the PDF from within the CrashPlan app, click the icon the upper right, and open in Bluefire Reader. Worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines