Skip navigation
geekcrazy
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe PDF Link Helper is missing

Jan 11, 2012 7:36 AM

Tags: #pdf #adobe #link #browser #helper

Adobe PDF Link Helper is missing from a user's browser. It is not disabled - just not there

How do I get it back?

Win7x64

Adobe Reader 9

Nuance Converter

IE9

Please and thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to geekcrazy

Could you please let me know what exactly is it that you mean when you say that "Adobe PDF Link Helper is missing". I wasnt able to understand what did you mean by a link helper.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Apr 20, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to geekcrazy

I have a similar configuration:

IE9

Reader 10.1.3.

Win7x64

If I bring up the 32 bit IE9, and look in the add-ons I see a Adobe Acrobat SharePoint Open Doc Component as well as the PDF Link Helper.  Neither appear in the list of Add-ons for the 64 bit IE9.

What do these add-ons do?  Is it used to display pdf files within a browser? or to launch Acrobat reader in response to clicking on a pdf doc on a SharePoint library?

The SharePoint/Acrobat interface was not working on my machinie and now it is.  It is not working for a co-worker and the one difference I have found so far is she does not have the Adobe Acrobat SharePoint open doc component and I do (in 32 bit only).  So 2nd question:  How do we force that add-on for her browser?

3rd question: Are there 64 bit versions available?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to geekcrazy

I do not see either PDF Link Helper or                Adobe Acrobat SharePoint Open Documents Component in 64 bit IE9.  I see them both in the 32 bit version.  Are they both for displaying in a browser?  The root issue I am trying to solve is getting the SharePoint 2010 Acrobat X integration to work,  The original symptom was that a user would check out a pdf  file from a SharePoint library, edit it (using the comment feature in Reader) and then Save or Check In.  Either action would result in a Cannot Access the Network error.  Looking at the HTML traffic in Fiddler showed the error text had nothing to do with the problem, which seemed to be about attribute values.  Anyway, I put this on the back burner for a couple months and returned to it recently.  It now works on my machine in a 32 bit browser.  (ACCEPTABLE RESTRICTION).    My coworker still gets the original error.  I poked around and found the SharePoint Open Documents add-on on my machine and not hers and suspect it has something to do with the difference in behavior.  So I am trying to find out what it is supposed to do and if it really is relevant, how to cause it to be downloaded on other people’s machines.  I have been through the server configuration steps listed in Chapter 13 of the Acrobat Admin Guide.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points