Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My Adobe Premiere Element 10 is acting squirrely...ugh

Jan 11, 2012 2:17 PM

Tags: #video #problems #premiere_elements #elements_10

I'm just at the beginning of creating a video (project) and I'm already running into problems. I've upload pictures and added a mp3 track. The music is playing from the mp3, but the pictures aren't previewing in the monitor panel.

This program cost too much to not work properly...please help me if you know how to correct this problem. Thanks in advance guys. :-)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

Have you ensured that the photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

What do you mean by "pictures aren't previewing"? Do you see one picture and it doesn't switch to another or do you only see  a black screen?

Have you rendered the timeline if there are red lines above the clips on your timeline? To render, press Enter. The red lines will turn green and your video will play more smoothly.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

Welcome to the forum.

When one is having an issue with Still Images, I think the same thing, as Steve does - how large are those stills?

This ARTICLE will go into more detail, and also explain how to batch Scale Still Images, before they are Imported into PrE.

My second thought concerns the installed video driver. What is the make/model of your video card, what is your OS, and what is the number/date of your installed video driver?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

If you matched the minimum specs on the box, you aren't even close to what the program really needs to work!

What is your operating system and how fast is your processor?

Also, I recommend you convert that MP3 to a WAV file with a program like Audacity (free). MP3s really steal a lot of power from the program, and you may find that swapping in a WAV file along makes all the difference. (To test this, try removing the MP3 completely and see if the video plays any better with just the rendered photos.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

The "Minimum System Requirements" do not address updating the video drivers.

What is the make/model of your video card, and what is the number/date of the installed video driver?

Video drivers are very important, and PrE interfaces with them, more closely than most other computer programs. They are also fragile things, and even simple OS updates, or hot-fixes, can render the video driver obsolete, hence the reason that ATI/AMD and nVidia issue new ones at least once per month.

Also, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images? The DPI/PPI and the file sizes are meaningless - only the pixel x pixel dimensions matter.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 6:50 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

This might depend on the exact version of Windows, that you have, but if you go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, you should be able to find your graphics card/chip, under display adapter.There, you will find the make/model of your graphics card/chip. If you Dbl-click on that, you will then see Driver, where you will get the info, regarding the video driver, that is installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

I agree with you, regarding the published "Minimum System Requirements." Those are basically for getting PrE to load. Beyond that, it gets very gray in that many factors come into play, such as Source Footage, and Duration of the Project's Timeline. Those can make a very big difference. I have also campaigned for Adobe to list "real world" specs., but it seems that the marketing department wants things, as they are.

For me, it is about the ability to smoothly edit Video, and even there, you will find disagreements. Some get by with minimal, but I lean towards a realistic setup, that does things very smoothly. As a "for instance," I feel that to edit AVCHD material (HD), one needs a faster i7 CPU, while others tell of being able to edit with a Pentium D. I cannot imagine HOW they manage, but they seem to do so.

Same thing for a single HDD vs my recommended 3x physial HDD setup. Some feel that a tiny, slow, single HDD is adequate, but most find that if they add just one more physical HDD, things get SO much better. Then, when they add the third, and use them properly, things get even better.

It gets down to what one expects.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 7:23 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

OK, you have an ATI/AMD Radeon x300 SE. What is the installed video driver, number and date?

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the Still Images?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 8:06 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

Well, while that pixel x pixel size is within the allowable size, it exacts a major toll on the system, and Scaling the images to the Project's Frame Size, will go a long way to getting the best quality, and also the lower processing overhead.

As for the driver info, go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Display Adapter, and click on that. Then, choose Driver, and read the installed driver info. From the screen before Driver, also make note of your Display Adapter, and let us know what it is, along with your OS version. Someone can then help you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 4:06 AM   in reply to Mz Mel

Mz Mel wrote:

I'm so disturbed with this software...I think I need to just take it back. This video making stuff is suppose to be fun and a positive outlet and it's becoming stressful and not fun at all.

I think that is the correct thing to do. The current version of Premiere Elements needs a much more recent and powerful PC. It will not give you a fun experience and, as you say, it should.

Can you describe the problem you had with Windows Movie Maker ? That may be fixable.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Mz Mel

OK, what is the model of ATI video card, and what is the exact version of Windows, that you are running?

If there is a newer driver for your ATI card, someone will point you to the exact driver version that you need to download and install.

Also, as Neale points out, Adoboe offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so if you have owned PrE for less than 30 days, you can get your money back.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - as for the age of your driver, many computer companies have a set-up disc, with the OS, and drivers. They just pop it into the machine on the assembly line, and install everything. That disc might well be a full year old, when the material is installed. That is why we always recommend that one update their OS and all drivers on a new machine, even before installing programs, especially ones like PrE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Why won't you try removing that MP3 and see if it makes a difference? It doesn't cost anything?

Also, can you PLEASE provide your computer specs -- at least your processor speed and RAM load?

You can see these by right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties.

We can't help you if you keep skirting our questions and suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Mz Mel

Yes, but have you tried removing the MP3 to see if it makes any difference in the video playback!!!!!

If the MP3 uses too many resources, the program will not be able to play the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

OK, knowing the OS is good. You have XP and have Service Pack 3 installed.

Go to Control Panel, and click on System. From System, go to the Hardware tab and click there. Look at Device Manager, and click on it. That will bring up a tree of all of the hardware systems on your computer. You should see Display Adapter, at about 1/3 of the way down that tree, and it should have a little square with a + sign in it. Click on it, and you will see your ATI Display Adapter. Make note of it, and let us know what it is. The model number will be what you are looking for now. Someone will then go to the ATI/AMD Web site, plug in that ATI model and then your OS version, XP, and give you the URL where you can download the updated driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Mz Mel

Mz Mel wrote:

I'm not computer Guru...I have no idea where to find all the info you're asking.

Three things:

1. Download and run the excellent Belarc Advisor. That will give all the answers about your machine.
    2. Trust Steve. Remove the MP3 file and see what happens. Malformed sound files can screw up video.
    3. What's your Windows Movie Maker problem ?

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on finding out what you Display Adapter model is, plus which driver version you have.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to Mz Mel

PE preview doesnt not work at computer lower screen resolutions like 800x600

Make sure you have your display resolution set at the maximum permissible for your monitor.

Right click on desktop with no programs loaded

Left click on Properties

Settings (at top of window)

Move Screen Resolution slider to maximum. (something like 1280 by 1024 for a 19" monitor or 1024x768 for a 17")

Check Color Quality is on highest setting

If you dont have the right driver for your video output or just using the one that comes with WindowsXP, ,you may be restricted to something like 800x600 that is too slow. If so install the driver using the advanced buttom (correct driver can be found on the internet with google)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points