Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Track Text Edits inserts a deletion in the first space when adding text

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "feature" is driving me crazy.

When I am adding text with TTE enabled, if I place my cursor at the end of the last word before where I start adding text, FM inserts a deletion in the first space.

If I place my cursor at the beginning of the last word before I before where I start adding text, everything works fine. Here is an example of what I mean. In the first sentence, I started with my cursor behind the "the." In the third sentence, I started with my cursor in front of the "before."

ScreenShot00128.png

This error seems to be document-specific. I tested in a new document (New > Portrait), and this behavior did not occur. Does anyone know how to disable this "feature?"

FrameMaker 9

Windows 7 64 bit

Thanks!

Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Hi Karen,

The reason for the deletion is this. In Format | Document | Text Options you have Smart Spaces activated.

When you insert the cursor before a space and type another space FrameMaker deletes this space as only a single space is allowed.

But FrameMaker cannot insert a new space as there is already one there. Track Text Edit applies only conditions. The text is still there.

Try it without Smart Spaces. Then everything should be fine.

But if you want to keep Smart Spaces, then you must accept t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2012 Jan 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

I notice one thing that there is a "red hyphen" between "the end" in the first sentence which means there was a Deletion of a Space done, with TTE enabled.

What I believe is happening, that deletions are getting accepted over here, in this specific FrameMaker document, hence you are missing a space between them.

I would like you to do a test on the same document, so that we may verify if this is something specific to the document or not?

1) Delete a compelete word/phrase from the same sentence, repeat the same procedure that removed the space and notice this time, is the word too getting ommited along with that space?

2) Disable the TTE insert two spaces between 'the' and 'before', the Enable the TTE and write the same way as you had earlier, but begin adding text like as follows--

I placed my cursor at the ONLY_NEW_WORD_INSERTED before where I started adding text.

I wish,   I could illustrate these steps in a less confusing manner, But please try them and let me know if it clears few things for you?

Good Luck, Karen.

Thanks,

Anjaneai

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen,

The reason for the deletion is this. In Format | Document | Text Options you have Smart Spaces activated.

When you insert the cursor before a space and type another space FrameMaker deletes this space as only a single space is allowed.

But FrameMaker cannot insert a new space as there is already one there. Track Text Edit applies only conditions. The text is still there.

Try it without Smart Spaces. Then everything should be fine.

But if you want to keep Smart Spaces, then you must accept this behaviour and always start typing after a space.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Winfried! That has been really bothering me. I will try it without smart spaces and rely on spell check to remove the extra spaces.

Thanks again!

Karen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines