Skip navigation

An error occurred when attempting to change modules.

Jan 10, 2012 9:30 AM

Latest reply: Julie McLeod, Jan 31, 2012 2:20 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Hi Christophe --

Becky passed along the log file you generated and I have one idea for you to try. The main error backtrace in the log indicated that Lightroom was unable to create a subfolder in your Preferences directory.

Could you try navigating in Finder to the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom folder and hit Cmd + I (Get Info) and tell me what it says in the "Sharing and Permissions" section of the info panel. I saw one isolated case of a module switching error like this where (somehow) the Lightroom settings folder had been locked down with read only permissions. Once those permissions were set back so that the user's account had write access to the folder, all was well again.

This may work for others on the thread, though I think there is another bug impacting at least some others. I'm still trying to figure out how the error in the other log file was occurring.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I've tried installing and unistalling more then several time to no avail. No modules load :/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

Under permissions it has "read and write" for my admin (or "me" profile). Then it has "read only" for other admin, and "read only" for everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to DanTull

In my case, I do have read and write access to the Lightroom folder.  I have also passed my logfile on to Becky.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Hmm. Those permissions sound correct. I'll have to see what other reasons would prevent creating a directory there.

In the Lightroom settings directory, do you see other sub-folders like Develop Settings, etc? Can you create a new folder inside via the Finder without an error?

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to shawn moore

Count me in as having the problem also. Selecting the book module (An error occurred when attempting to change modules) and wouldn't let me go to any other module. I have to shutdown Lightroom then reboot to return to the other modules.

Rick

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to DanTull

DanTull wrote:

Could you try navigating in Finder to the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom folder and hit Cmd + I (Get Info) and tell me what it says in the "Sharing and Permissions" section of the info panel. I saw one isolated case of a module switching error like this where (somehow) the Lightroom settings folder had been locked down with read only permissions.

A completely off-the-wall thought...  Any or all of you have Nik software installed?  I've seen cases in the past where LR launches without modules, and it's turned out to be because Nik's created the Lightroom folder to install its plug-ins long before LR's on the computer.  It's probably not related, but worth ruling out anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Aha... if that folder was created by the Nik installer (which is probably run as root), that might explain the one-off case of this I saw with a 3.0 user at one point. I was wondering what could cause that...

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria, I have Silver Efex Pro installed as a plug-in.  How would I go about ruling it out as the cause?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria, Yes I'm loaded with Nik Software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I have the full Nik suite installed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to DanTull

Ok, let's try the fix that usually works for the Nik issue.  Start a clean user account and try opening LR in that.  If it opens correctly and you can access the book module, we can copy the application support files back to your normal account and you'll be fine from there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to DanTull

DanTull wrote:

Aha... if that folder was created by the Nik installer (which is probably run as root), that might explain the one-off case of this I saw with a 3.0 user at one point. I was wondering what could cause that...

Ah, never thought of root!  Sounds like you've sussed it for the install problems (you wouldn't believe how many times I've reported that one!) even if not for this issue. Nice one!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria, that worked.  The book module loads when LR4 is launched from a clean user account. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Bingo!!!!

Ok, try copying this folder from the clean user account to your normal user account:

Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / Lightroom /

And then try LR in your normal account.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:49 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria, do I first move the existing Lightroom folder out of that path in my user account?

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

I would.  Let's get it working properly, and then you can move your personal presets into the new folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Can you remind me how to make my user Library appear?  I have it visible in my regular account but can't remember how I did that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Easy way is to open Finder, hold down Opt key and it'll appear in the Go menu.  I drag it to the sidebar for easy future access.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to DanTull

In the folder you directed me too, there are no folders or files at all.

I can create folders there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria, I moved the original Lightroom folder to my desktop and copied the new one from the clean user account into the Adobe folder on the original user account.  Launched LR4 and again, could not access the Book module. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I have a NIK trail installed. I'll uninstall it and reinstall lightroom. Maybe that's the case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Julie, try copying over 2 more files.  Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Preferences / com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist  and   Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Pictures / Lightroom / Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat (or whatever your catalog's called)

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 12, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Christophe, try the clean user account trick.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Weird. If you go into Lightroom preferences and in the presets tab click the "Show Lightroom Presets Folder...", is it the same (empty) folder?

Maybe I didn't indicate the right folder or wasn't entirely clear. I'd think if there were no folders that it'd be more than just the book module that's failing.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Hi Victoria, I copied over the com.adobe.Lightroom4.plist and the lrcat files from the clean user account to my regular one.  (First moved the existing ones to my desktop).  When I try to launch LR4 now, I get the error message immediately "An error occurred when attempting to change modules."  Before it only happened when trying to access the Book module.  *seriously confused*

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Hmm. I'd be interested to see the tracebacks log output from this newly more pervasive module switching error.

It would also be interesting to know which of the preferences or the catalog is the differentiating factor in getting this error.

DT (dtull at adobe.com)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Hi Victoria, I am having the "An error occurred when attempting to change modules." Book problem and I have no NIK software installed. I have the problem both on my laptop running Lion and my desktop running Snow Leopard. That would indicate that either NIK is not the problem, or at least not the only cause of the problem. I have not tried the new user account trick yet. Julie might need to check the permissions on the plist file and the lrcat file she copied over from the clean account.

BFW

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

That worked. Lightroom booted up!! Getting closer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

I just emailed you a log from the module change error generated immediately on startup. I copied all the files listed above from a clean user install and set permissions to read and write.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to artemesia66

Yep, I received your log and Julie's as well. They have some similar looking errors in them that give me a couple of new leads.

I think we have a few different bugs in the mix. Hopefully with a little more time poring over the logs and the code I can spot what is triggering these errors.

Thanks for the info (and for bearing with us on this!) -- DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:51 PM   in reply to DanTull

Okay, here's where I'm at. No modules have been loading. I had Nik software installed on my admin account and have since uninstalled it. I made a new user account and loaded LR4 and it loaded all the modules normally. Knowing this, I tried Victoria's fix of copying the said files over to my existing admin account but to no avail. It still refuses to load any modules in my admin acount. I also can't access the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Can you run this command in Terminal.app?

echo $USER && find ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom/ -type d -maxdepth 2 -exec ls -ld {} \;

Basically, it's going to emit your username and the names and permissions of the top few levels of folders in that tree. I suspect that simply moving the folder between accounts could leave things in a state that's likely to be invalid and possibly prevent LR from accessing/modifying the contents.

Thanks -- DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to DanTull

Here are the resultes from that command.

Last login: Fri Jan 13 13:59:24 on ttys000

xavier-lees-computer:~ xavierlee$ echo $USER && find ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom/ -type d -maxdepth 2 -exec ls -ld {} \;

xavierlee

drwxr-xr-x  3 root  xavierlee  102 Dec 25  2010 /Users/xavierlee/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/

drwxr-xr-x  2 root  xavierlee  68 Jan 12 11:10 /Users/xavierlee/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom//External Editor Presets

xavier-lees-computer:~ xavierlee$

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Oh, yeah. That's the bug I've seen before all right. Those folders are owned by root with a group matching your username and they are only writable by the user (not the group or other) so Lightroom (which runs with your user permissions) isn't allowed to create anything inside there.

sudo chown -R $USER ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom/

sudo chgrp -R staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Lightroom/

This should set the whole tree to be owned by your user account and the (more typical, I think) group "staff". The permissions themselves seem correct, it's the ownership that's messed up. Note that the first one will prompt you for the password for your user account and that account will have to have admin rights to take ownership away from root.

It definitely looks like an installer created the "External Editor Presets" folder with incorrect permissions and left this trap for LR to fall into (which failed to present a useful error message). When I saw it before, I didn't make the connection with the installer (thanks, Victoria for pointing that one out).

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 2:36 PM   in reply to DanTull

Presto. Chango. Worked like a charm. Thanks so much Dan! Excited to actually get to use it now!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to christopherkmyers

Awesome! Note for others on the list, I don't know that these instructions will work for everybody (the logs showed another bug which I think is distinct), but in the case where they don't it shouldn't do any harm. The commands are just setting the owner and group to what they should be anyway.

I'm still hunting for that one. Also, I'm going to work on getting a bug for a better error message, a tech note for correcting the problem, and maybe track down somebody from Nik software to see about tweaking their installer to avoid creating this condition.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to DanTull

Thanks for your hard work Dan, but it didn't help in my case. Same error message when I go to the Book module, then I have to reboot.

Rick

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points