• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ClipboardFormatsPriorities maker.ini setting in Frame 10?

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently installed Frame 10 and I want to change the ClipboardFormatsPriorities setting so that "TEXT" is the first option in the list. I've done this in previous versions. Is this still possible in 10? If so, what did I do wrong?

Here's what I tried:

1. Located the maker.ini file in the following directory: C:\Users\mboyd\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\10.
  2. Made a backup of the original maker.ini file.
  3. Opened maker.ini in a text editor and saw that the setting was no longer included.
  4. Tried adding it. I added the following line first to the [Preferences] section and then to the [Frame] section:

ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, UNICODE TEXT, MIF, RTF

Result: Nothing changed. MIF was still the default when I copied and pasted.

Granted -- changing the default from OLE to MIF was definitely an improvement, but I'd still like the default to be TEXT. Let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Melanie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Melanie,

I just re-read your original posting and when you say that editing the user-specific maker.ini has no effect, are you doing this for FM-to-FM or other-app-to-FM pastes? FM-to-FM pastes have always carrried along the formatting (even since FM3 ). You need to test this by copying formatted content from another app like Word or from a browser.

If you want to paste unformatted FM text, then use the "ctrl+shift+v" (paste special) and then "t" (for text) and then "enter" as a shortcut.

Not being

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I forgot to mention that I closed Frame before editing maker.ini and restarted it afterward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine reads ClipboardFormatsPriorities=TEXT, FILE, MIFW, MIF, RTF, OLE 2, META, EMF, DIB, BMP, UNICODE TEXT

but it's in the c:\program files\adobe\adobeframemaker10\ folder in the section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few weeks ago, I tried editing the maker.ini file under the Program Files directory. I had to go though some hoops. Even though I have admin privs on my computer, I cannot edit the file and save it. However, I can save it to a different location and then copy the edited version over the original version. (I realize that makes no sense, but Windows doesn't always make sense.) Anyway, after I did that I couldn't open Frame. I had to uninstall and reinstall it.

But apparently other people are editing the maker.ini file in that location, so I tried it again. Same results. FrameMaker generates a log file when I try to open it that shows a stack trace.

This is annoying. I've been using FrameMaker since version 3, and I've edited the .ini file who knows how many times. What's up with version 10??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, looks like some crap got copied into my last reply.

Are you running Win7 or Vista? In those newer O/S's you have to give yourself (as admin) the rights to mess around with your own C:\ drive - it doesn't automatically follow when being an admin like it used to under WinXP. Mr. Bill's just trying to protect us from ourselves ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7. How do I give myself privileges?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I remember, you have to use Explorer to get down to the C:\ drive root, then right-click and select Security (or something like that) and give yourself Full Control. It will take a while as it goes through and applies the change to all files & folders under C:\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. But I don't think I'll try editing the maker.ini file again. Uninstalling and reinstalling is eating way too much of my time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you uninstalling & reinstalling? There's no need to do that as far as I can see from your posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read my third post more carefully. Both times I've made a change to maker.ini under the \Program Files, Frame won't start again until I uninstall and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't have to reinstall it - just restore the backup copy of the maker.ini you made before monkeying with its innards. You did make a copy, didn't you ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I made a backup, and I did try restoring the backup .ini file before reinstalling. Believe me, I tried several things.

It doesn't make any sense to me, either. It looks like something else is becoming corrupted. If I wanted to spend a lot of quality time with Adobe Support, I might be able to get to the bottom of it. But since it only happens when I try to edit the master maker.ini file, I don't think it's worth pursuing.

My original assumption was that I should be able to make the change in the personal maker.ini under \Users\AppData and that would have an effect. When it didn't have any effect, I thought I was just entering the setting incorrectly, which is why I posted here. But I've tried entering your setting, and:

• Entering it in the personal maker.ini has no effect.
  • Entering it (or anything else) in the master maker.ini corrupts something and I have to reinstall.

At this point, I'll just be content to live with the .ini file as it is.

Thanks for the responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were you able to give yourself "full rights" as a local admin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -- thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both times I've made a change to maker.ini under the \Program Files, Frame won't start again until I uninstall and reinstall.

When you did that, were you doing anything about the custom copy under /Users//AppData ?

Frame is obviously checking both locations, and I'm wondering if having a newer mod timestamp on the "master" file vs. the "user" file is what's causing it to enter self-destruct-enable mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I tried editing the file under /Users/AppData first, then it's true that the master copy would have had a later time stamp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M Boyd I am having the same problems with FM10 now. The ini changes do not work and if I modify the Program Files instance FM blows up and I have to reinstall. Did anyone solve this mystery?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Nothing I tried worked, and I got tired of reinstalling the product. Sorry I can't be more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know. Very frustrating for a product to go backwards

in usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Win7? Editing the maker.ini's shouldn't cause FM to fail to launch - are you getting an actual error message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, you asked about Win7 back in Feb. 🙂

As I explained before, whenever I edit the .ini file under \Program Files, Frame won't open and generates a log that shows a stack trace.Uninstalling and reinstalling is the only way to resolve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@M_Boyd - Sorry, I was replying to @kmacdowe+brdcom to see if they were running the same o/s as you. My suspicion in your case is something to do with rights. If you're getting a hard error, I hope you've sent it into the FM tech guys and reported it to Adobe Support.

I've just installed a copy of TCS3 on a Win7 laptop, so I'll have a chance to see if I can reproduce what you've reported, as I use the TEXT paste quite often while hauling material in from Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jeff! Yes, I did send the log to Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my understanding that one should not edit the maker.ini file that is in the Programs directory. Each user has a personal copy located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Adobe\FrameMaker\9(or 10)

This maker.ini file is not a full copy of the one in Programs but it contains your personal changes. So try adding or editing the line in that file. When FrameMaker opens it first reads the file in the Programs folder and then the one in your Documents and Settings folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already tried that. See my post from Jan 12.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines