Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Blu-ray H264 encoding help!

Jan 12, 2012 9:03 AM

Tags: #error #settings #import #blu-ray #encore #encode #encoding #build #transcoding #building #bluray #ame #transcode #sorenson #squeeze

I've read around the forums, and made a few posts on other sites but can't seem to find a straight answer.  I'm trying to author a blu-ray in encore with a 25min 1080i program and x2 5min 480i programs.  I originally tried encoding to H264 from Sorenson Squeeze 7 using its blu-ray presets, since I didn't have AME installed, but no luck.  However, its MPEG2 blu-ray presets do import into encore.  On someone's advice I switched around my licenses and installed AME and Encore onto the PC running Media Composer.  I imported the quicktimes into Encore (These are coming from Media Composer, output as same-as-source quicktimes because encore was having problems with quicktime reference files), tweaked the transcoding presets slightly, and haven't been able to get much to work since then.  It seems that the SD videos are encoding fine.  But the HD video is having problems.  Either it transcodes but shows up as black when played back on a blu-ray player, or it gets an error while transcoding.  However, I was able to get it to playback but only when I transcoded a quicktime of the first few minutes, rather than the entire 25 minute program.  Other forum posting have talked about a 2-pass VBR error and some other things, but that doesn't seem to be the problem as I did a test using that same couple minute excerpt quicktime with different settings, and all played back (2-pass vbr 4.1 level, 2-pass vbr 4.0 level, 1-pass vbr 4.1 level, 1-pass vbr 4.0 level, etc).  Encore also has trouble determining what needs transcoding and what doesn't.  For instance, I transcoded the two SD videos by right clicking Transcode Now so that AME opens up, but after transcoding Encore still says they need transcoding.  Cleaning Media Caches as suggested elsewhere doesn't seem to help. 

I'm at a loss at what to do at this point. I bought the production suite recently so that I could have After Effects and Encore for blu-ray authoring.  But so far Encore has been a huge disappointment and waste of time and money.  It seems almost criminal that Encore and AME don't play nice together using their own presets.  Does anyone know how to get AME to encode correctly, or if there are settings to tweak in Sorenson Squeeze to get it to work with Encore?

Any help is much appreciated!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to peacebreakerr

Take the QuickTime files from MC, bring them into AME.  Transcode there.

Then bring those transcoded assets into a new Encore project.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to peacebreakerr

I am having trouble tracking your multiple workflows, in part since I don't know what program you are using to play files when  you say they played back successfully (Encore preview; other program etc). Don't worry about explaining what you wrote above, just provide a bit more info when you report your next tests, starting with Jim's suggestion.

Other forum posting have talked about a 2-pass VBR error and some other things, but that doesn't seem to be the problem as I did a test using that same couple minute excerpt quicktime with different settings, and all played back (2-pass vbr 4.1 level, 2-pass vbr 4.0 level, 1-pass vbr 4.1 level, 1-pass vbr 4.0 level, etc).

I think the 2 pass vbr bug is not always apparent when you transcode short clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to peacebreakerr

Yep.  All the presets use WAV audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 8:34 AM   in reply to peacebreakerr

Congrats!

|
    Mark as: