• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Feature file sample: Bickham Script Pro (11/2004)

Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2005 Jan 12, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached is an FDK feature file for Bickham Script Pro (2004 revision). The same code should be informative for FontLab and other applications that use the Adobe OpenType feature language, particularly when it comes to coding of contextual substitutions.

NOTE 1: This should only be used as a reference for feature construction, and not for glyph names. The feature file uses "friendly names" which are often changed for final font output.

NOTE 2: This is NOT the same as Bickham Script Standard, which is an earlier and much less complicated typeface.

The main advantage of looking at the original feature file rather than decompiling in FontLab is that any glyph classes retain their original names. FontLab does an amazing job of decompiling features, but it has to invent names for glyph classes, and these are generally less clear than what was originally used in development.

This feature file is "warts and all," so there's even a comment on a bug I found, when going through the feature file. However, we wanted to leave the code intact so it matches what we shipped.
TOPICS
Open Type FDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2005 Jan 12, 2005

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome!

I completely agree, the comments and human-readable classes are a great advantage.

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Were the .fea files for Bickham Script Pro & Minion Pro ever reposted? I found a reference to them at typophile and tracked down your original posts of them. But I can't find any attachment to either post. My attempt to seach for them using the Adobe forums search machine failed. Can they be reposted?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repost of Bickham Script feature file sample much appreciated. I will put it to good use as a tutorial.

Any chance of a repost for the Minion Pro feature file?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Feature file sample: Minion Pro (2004 rev)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repost of Bickham Script feature file sample much appreciated. I will put it to good use as a tutorial.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines