Skip navigation
ALMedcalf6
Currently Being Moderated

What MAC computer do you recommend to run Adobe Premiere Pro?

Nov 28, 2011 1:45 PM

I am looking to purchase a MAC based computer to operate Adobe Premiere Pro, What type of MAC workstation do you recommend to run Adobe Premiere Pro?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 28, 2011 5:16 PM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

I hate to say this but most people running Premiere are using PC's.  We on this forum are seeing Mac people switching to PC's regularly since they are much faster,

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 5:39 PM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

I also hate to say this, but the least expensive Mac that's suitable for use with Premiere Pro CS5.x costs more than $5,000. And that's with an older-generation Intel Xeon CPU that's been obsolesced by the newer Sandy Bridge-E chips. Apple charges you an astronomically high price to even equip your configuration with even 12GB of RAM ($525 to upgrade from 3GB), let alone 24GB ($1,275). And even then, Apple does not currently offer any of its systems with Nvidia GPUs at all - the Apple systems are only available with last-generation ATi HD 5xxx series GPUs that cannot use CS5.x's MPE GPU acceleration at all.

Sorry, but Apple is concentrating most of its resources on portable devices that cannot run full-sized apps at all. And the few resources that Apple is spending outside of portable devices goes to its all-in-one systems such as the iMac and the MacBook Pro that fall significantly below Adobe's minimum practical system requirements for Premiere Pro CS-anything. In other words, all of the currently available Mac Pro towers are holdovers from last year.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2011 6:56 PM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

ALMedcalf6 wrote:

What type of MAC workstation do you recommend to run Adobe Premiere Pro?

For what it's worth, MAC is Media Access Control, or what your Ethernet NIC uses to communicate on the network.  A Mac is a Macintosh computer made by Apple; probably what you meant... ;-)

There's quite a bit of misinformation available here on the Adobe forums by folks who don't know much about Macs, so you have to be careful about what you read.  It is true that a much quicker system can be built from scratch, running Windows 7.  If your goal is a "fast computer" then build a Win7 rig and call it a day.

If your goal is a fast Mac, then go with the 6-core single-processor and make do with that vs. the 12-core dual-processor systems that are available.  The reason for that is that Adobe still hasn't quite figured out how to properly thread their applications on OS X vs. Windows.  This leads a lot of people to incorrectly surmise that OS X can't thread applications well; it's a false assumption, but you'll read it here a lot.  Instead, go for the faster processors, IMHO:

• Choose the quad-core 2.8GHz Mac Pro, then bump it up to the 3.33GHz 6-core chip.
    • Stock 3G of RAM (from Apple)
    • Stock 1TB drive (from Apple)

Done.  Once you get it, go over to the fine folks at Other World Computing and buy this kit for 16G or this kit for 32G of RAM.  The down side of this particular Mac Pro is it only has 4 DIMM slots.  The dual-processor Mac Pros are much more expensive, have slower processors available, but they have 8 DIMM slots.  So it's a trade-off.

Also, head over to your favorite online spot (Amazon works, New Egg also works) and pick up a PNY nVidia Quadro 4000 video card, so that you can make use of the CUDA processing power.  You won't be able to option up to an nVidia card through the Apple Store unless you buy it afterward from them.  And I'd strongly discourage that.  You'll save a lot more money if you buy the nVidia card from someone else.

I'd also recommend buying anyone's SSD drive for your boot and Applications disk, and then snag a couple of extra SATA drives for scratch, storage, etc.  Follow the same storage guidelines put together by Harm, et al here.

Good luck.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 9:40 AM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

I don't know if this helps but.  I work on both Mac and PC (or should i say Mac OS and Windows OS)

I find that Adobe Premiere Pro cs5 (i only have that version haven't upgraded yet) with AVCHD Codec works better on a Windows OS system with the correct specs.

The Mac Pro I am using has the following specs:

2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon

16gb 800mhz DDDR2 FB-dimm Ram

4 TB hard drives.

Quadro 4000 NVIDIA video card.

OS version 10.6.8  (you can't have the newest updated version because of the drivers for the video card aren't supported yet)

I do a lot of Multi Cam editing so to have 4 videos going at the same time is GPU and CPU intensive.

The Mac handles this well but so does my HP laptop with not so great specs.

HP Laptop PC Windows 7 Specs:

i7 q720 @ 1.60ghz click link for more specs

8gb Ram

1tb hard drive

Win 7 64bit OS

GeForce GT 230m video card

I do a lot of on-location (not the program) edits so I need to be as moble as possible.

I am in the Market for another Laptop seeing I like to have two on the go with me.

I also do a lot of green screen with about 6 layers a graphic videos.  I turn the resolution down on my monitor window to have it play back in realtime on both machines.  The laptop actually runs a little bit better IMHO but it is nice have have cross platforms seeing then you can argue with yourself about what is better =)

Ask me any questions if any of this helps.

Brent

www.brentdolanmedia.com 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 10:57 AM   in reply to alltenback

alltenback wrote:

I find that Adobe Premiere Pro cs5 (i only have that version haven't upgraded yet) with AVCHD Codec works better on a Windows OS system with the correct specs.

Well, you're comparing a 3.5-4 year old Mac Pro to a nearly new Windows box.  So yes, the Windows box is going to be a lot faster.

OS version 10.6.8  (you can't have the newest updated version because of the drivers for the video card aren't supported yet)

Can you put more words around this?  My Quadro 4K works fine in my Mac Pro with Lion and the lastest CUDA drivers.  Did you mean something else by that?

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 11:20 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jas,

Do you have a link to the drivers for the Quadro 4000?   I am running snow leopard which is version 10.6.8 .

The Drivers at the time  (which was probably in June 2011) only went up to 10.6.8 on Snow leopard.  So my video card wouldn't work.  Maybe since then they have updated it.

All I know is that it is a pain in the rear dealing with all the updated and compatability issues with my video card. Especially when I update and then i can't see anything because the video card isn't supported by the update.  Then I have to put in the old ATI card and switch cables and all that stuff get the update then repeat.

Thanks in advance
    Brent

www.brentdolanmedia.com 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to alltenback

Brent -

alltenback wrote:

Do you have a link to the drivers for the Quadro 4000?   I am running snow leopard which is version 10.6.8 .

Ah, I see the disconnect here.  I thought you were implying in your message that you couldn't move the latest version of OS X (Lion) because the drivers didn't support the Quadro.  My bad.

I never tried to get the Quadro running on Snow Leopard.  I didn't buy my card until after Lion was out, and it has updated nVidia drivers included with it.  All that's necessary is downloading the CUDA drivers directly from nVidia.

Sorry if I confused you.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 12:14 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jas,

No prob at all. 

I can't move up to Lion yet seeing I am using Pro tool (and a digi 002 board as well) as well and have to wait on those drivers. 

The one nice Feature about using Windows 7 is you don't have to worry about all these OS issues for every little update.

But like I said before I am blessed to be able to use both OS's.   I don't discriminate I hate them both equally =)

Brent

www.brentdolanmedia.com

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 3:01 PM   in reply to alltenback

here are the facts not opinions..

a dual Xeon 12 core Apple cant even compete with a single 2600 windows system. so the answer to the OP's question is NONE..

assuming you actually want performance and not just look pretty.

benchmarks:

Premiere Pro CS5 Version 5.5 Testing

Mac Pro 2010 Dual 2.93GHz

24GB 1600 CL 9

Quadro 4000

2 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in Raid 0

Video material - AVCHD 1080P 24 Frame Each Cut to 30 minutes of material

Export Codec - H264 HDTV 1080P 24 Preset Default

4 Effects per Layer - Fast Color Corrector, Brightness & Contrast, Video Limiter, Sharpen

Each Layer Scaled to 50% for 4 frame PinP view.

3 Layer - 42:24

4 Layer - 44:05

I7 2600K 4.7 GHz

16GB Blackline 1600 CL 9

570GTX

4 WD 1Tb Sata 64 Meg Cache 600 Drives in 2 Raid 0 arrays

3 Layer - 29:33

4 Layer - 33:26  <----- massively faster for less than 1/2

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:01 PM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

If you are starting out with a pocket full of money and want to build a system, it would be my opinion to also go with a windows computer over a Mac.

As someone else said earlier, the only MAC product to buy if you want to use a CUDA viceo card is a 500 day old MacPro. That's when the last update to the Mac Pro line was done. If what you do doesn't require the speed enhancements of the CUDA, I'd buy the latest iMac 27 inch. It's as fast as you'll find most anywhere. Upgrade the RAM, the hard drive to 2TB, and choose their biggest video card. That will set you back about $3200, then buy one of the Thunderbolt RAIDS for between $1200, and the sky's the limit, and you will have the fastest Mac you can purchase.

You will not have CUDA processing, but this will render your timeline as fast asis possible on a Mac.

That's why most people recommend going PC. For about$2500.00, you can build a much faster PC. The software is virtually identical. The PC's reliability has improved greatly over the years.

I've been on Mac since 2000, and only just switched to a PC this year because it's obvious that from an editors standpoint it became obvious that Apple wasn't interested in us. FCPX is a joke, and there are no other Apple branded Pro Apps. There are rumours that they won't be making any more MacPros. I tend to think that's true.

I know it's a tough choice, but go PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:04 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Scott Chichelli wrote:

here are the facts not opinions..

And... he didn't ask for those facts, did he?  He asked about a Mac for PPro.

Thanks for playing.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:08 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason, if you have an axe to grind - ie Mac is better - take it to another forum. We try and help everyone no matter race creed country or OS preference.

D

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:31 PM   in reply to Darren Kelly

Darren Kelly wrote:

Jason, if you have an axe to grind - ie Mac is better - take it to another forum. We try and help everyone no matter race creed country or OS preference.

Really?  The axe to grind here is generally from the PC/Windows crowd looking down their noses at Mac users.  Generally speaking, the Mac users are made to feel fairly unwelcome here.  The OP asked for which Mac, right?  And certain members, as fully expected, are trying to talk him out of it.  I'm calling them on it.

Read my first post.  I actually went through a step by step buying guide for him.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:40 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

I am a PC guy but Jason's posts are usually informative. Besides, he is not the one who starts those "vibrant, energetic debates" that bubbble out onto other forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 6:45 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

I haven't seen anyone looking down their nose at Macs or Mac users, since many of the newbies to this site are X FCP users who got fed up with the Apple BS and decided not only to switch to Premiere, but also switch their platforms as Apple has clearly dropped the ball.

No one is more disapointed about FCPX and the 500 plus days since the last MacPro than I am. I was an Apple evangelist. Now, I still have my last 2 Macs - a 27inch iMac and a MacbookPro. They are  my go to internet machine, but everything else is on my new PC.

Oh, and yes, I have an ipod, and iphone and an iPad2.

What people are trying to communicate is that Adobe has better success now with Windows than with OSX. Partnering with Apple has never been fun for any developer - hardware or software. Apple doesn't share very well, and they have been known to crush a "partner" or two in their day. Today, the partner being crushed were their loyal editors, and ProTools customers.

There is no dispute. People are pissed at Apple in this industry. We have a right to be too.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2011 11:09 PM   in reply to ALMedcalf6

I think the best Mac to run Premiere Pro CS5 (or 5.5) on would be:

- buy a refurbished Mac Pro, 2009 or 2010 quad (upgrade a 2009 to 2010 firmware so it can run Westmere chips)

- upgrade to 3.33GHz Westmere 6-core chip

- upgrade to 32 or 48GB of RAM from OWC for $450 / $770 (respectively)

- upgrade to GTX285/Quadro/ATI 5870 or whatever you like that works in a Mac

- install Areca or Atto RAID card with BBU

- fill a cheap 8-bay RAID box with eight WD2003FYYS drives and hook to Areca/Atto card in RAID3/5/30/50 for media

- fill three remaining drive bays in Mac Pro with some identical 7200rpm drives and RAID0 for scratch disk

- $50 eSATA or (USB3) PCI card to hook up externals for backup drives

- VoyagerQ bare drive dock for external backups on any bare SATA drive

- build monitor setup of your choice

- APC SUA/SMT1500 or better UPS x2 (one for monitors, other for Mac, RAID, etc.

- install LG Blu-ray burner

I did this, and have 12TB of fast media space with sustained throughput at ~750MB/sec (with redundancy and hot spare), scratch disk at ~330MB/sec read/write, and various multuple backups and clones. Not the cheapest, but very capable of any full HD feature-length project I throw at it with no lags, no crashes, and no problems.

On the other hand, if you're not dead-set on a Mac, I'd do this in a PC with Windows7... if I were building something today. I started building this shortly before CS5 came out, so I was committed to the Mac Pro that I bought in December 2009. It will last me a good while yet, but I bet my next system is on Windows.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 3:17 PM   in reply to wonderspark

You clearly are a font of info for what computer is optimal for Premiere Pro. I am using CS5.5 and am about to buy a mac (my entire biz is based on it and don't want to switch tracks), but am wondering if you would recommend buying the fore-mentioned quad core (2010 2.8ghz) over the 8-core (2010 2.4ghz refurb)?

The biggest problem I have in Premiere is multicam processing.

Thanks in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 3:25 PM   in reply to jenbob2

HI,

If you have to buy an Apple for adobe (I cant imagine why you cant have a windows system)

Then I recommend buying a refurbed 2010/11 2.8GHz single and doing the upgrade to the 3.3GHz Xeon yourself.

About $600 for the processor and a fairly easy process.

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 28, 2011 4:40 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Don't forget, he has to buy an over priced, underperforming Quadro card, instead of an affordable GTX card.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 12:59 PM   in reply to jenbob2

Well, I have a CUDA card that I removed because it wasn't doing me any better than the ATI 5870, so I wouldn't say he HAS to buy a Quadro card. In fact, if anyone wants it, I'll sell my GTX285 for Mac card. It has the 1GB RAM and it's not a PC reflash, but an actual 'for Mac' from birth. I found the occasional glitch here and there, and while some effects were faster in Premiere, it was slower in After Effects, where most of my work is done. I'm looking forward to the new ATI 7970... which is supposedly going to be made for Mac as well.

Anyway, back to the question. If you want to spend and extra thousand dollars, you can get the 8-core 2.4, but I think you'd have much better bang-for-buck getting the base 2009 or 2010 quad for $2039 or $2119 (respectively) and swapping in a 3.33 6-core chip. It's beyond simple, and Provantage currently sells it for $585. Link: http://www.provantage.com/intel-bx80613w3680~7ITEP374.htmhttp://

It's going to be nicer (faster) to have six cores running at 3.33GHz than eight at 2.4GHz no matter what you do, and you'd save $400 by doing a simple swap that is nearly impossible to screw up. Less money for better performance? This is a no-brainer.

If you're core-crazy, you can get that dual processor 2010 and upgrade those chips, too. You will have spend *considerably* more money, however. The 2010 dual processor heat sinks are super simple to remove and replace like the 2009 single processor one is, whereas the 2009 heat sinks (IN THE DUAL PROCESSOR MODELS ONLY) used different lidless chips that require the use of precisely spaced washers to compensate for the height difference of a replacement chip. What this means is if you feel like you absolutely have to have dual CPUs, and you're going to swap faster ones in, save some hassle and get a 2010 dual model.

Having said all that, I really like how my  6-core Mac Pro is performing right now. My business relies on it, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 1:56 PM   in reply to wonderspark

Wonderspark, Thank you so much for the brilliant info.

I have been searching on how to do that chip swap to get the mac to 6-core 3.33ghz, but all I can find is service centers who are willing to do it for about $700.  Can you direct me to a link that will show me how to do the install.

I did see a youtube vid on how to do it in a 2006 mac pro.

Additionally, I found an ebay that sells the 2010 6-core 3.33ghz mac pro with 32gb ram for $3680 which seems like a good deal and will keep it in warranty.

Thanks again so much for your insight,

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 2:50 PM   in reply to jenbob2

Please explain something to me.

First, I want you to know I have used a mac since 1988. I edited on Mac between 1999 and 2011 - September.

I decided to depart because Apple have killed editing  (FCP) and have not upgraded their MacPro line in over 500 days.

I love my Mac experience. I own 2 macs, and only 1 PC, which I use exclusively for editing. The mac's do everything else.

The reason? Price & performance.

Why are you willing to spend the better part of $4K - before puting in a CUDA based card at over twice the cost of a PC CUDA card, and a raid system to handle the data throughput to remain on a Mac.

I don't get it. I really don't. The PC's abilities and the GUI interface of the software is EXACTLY the same. If you don't look under your desk, you won't know what the computer is.

You don't have to answer if you don't want. I just find it hard to believe someone would be that married to an OS to spend well more than 2-3X the cost to do the same thing.

(Oh, I don't want to hear the cost of cars argument)

Thanks

DBK

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 3:04 PM   in reply to Darren Kelly

It may seem crazy to you to insist on using  a PC and if I was only working in Premiere, I would most definitely buy a PC. However, my life is a bit more complicated than that.

I need to upgrade my computer anyway to move my other applications a little (meaing a lot) faster. I am a graphic designer and commercial photographer. If my video work expands, I can get a PC for video work at a later date.

You have very valid points, but life isn't always as logical as it should be.

I do thank you for your great input, and I have been considering it. If I didn't need to upgrade my computer for all my other work, I would definitely get a PC.

http://vimeo.com/30035541

http://vimeo.com/29620473

thanks again,

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 3:16 PM   in reply to jenbob2

Our Jobs are the same. Photoshop looks and operates the same, so does lightroom, and the web design suite. I have it all.

You need to look at why Apple have done what they have done. FCPX, No Upgrade to Aperture, no upgrade to protools, no upgrade to the MacPro line.

They are telling us something.

For less than half the price, you can atleast try it. If you hate it, sell it and go back to Mac

D

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 29, 2011 3:47 PM   in reply to jenbob2

jenbob2 wrote:

I have been searching on how to do that chip swap to get the mac to 6-core 3.33ghz, but all I can find is service centers who are willing to do it for about $700.  Can you direct me to a link that will show me how to do the install.

The Mac Rumors forums have a number of threads discussing this very thing, usually complete with pictures and whatnot.  This thread is one.  He adds instructions, pictures, tools you'll need, etc in the post.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 12:00 AM   in reply to jenbob2

Yes, follow that link that Jason Van Patten posted for instructions on exactly how to replace the chip. That thread also has links to the Arctic Silver 5, long hex key, etc.

After you finish the swap, zap the PRAM when you reboot the first time.

1. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
    2. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
    3. Release the keys.

Now you can check About This Mac to verify that it says 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon. Celebrate. ????? Profit.

I did this on my 2009, which involves downloading and running a free app to update the firmware from the 4,1 version to 5,1.

Any 2009 (4,1) Mac Pro owners interested in this upgrade, follow this link. Note that you'll have to register and sign in to see the file at the bottom of the first post. If you aren't logged in, you won't see the file under the last sentence: "I hope you enjoy this utility, and enjoy the benefits of extending the value of your Mac Pro."

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 12:08 AM   in reply to Darren Kelly

Also, I'll say again that if I didn't already have this Mac, I'd be building a PC for my needs today. You can get everything cheaper, and with less headaches. I understand wanting to keep the OSX ecosystem, but... well, have you used Lion? There are plenty of problems and complaints documented from people using it. I can tell you Snow Leopard 10.6.8 works great with my RAID and everything else, so you may want to stick to that for now. I suppose it's possible that Lion will be fixed properly someday.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 9:06 AM   in reply to wonderspark

Thanks again for the brilliant post. For now, I will stay with mac, but you have gotten me thinking (which is always a good thing).

One thing I don't understand about swapping the chips is which memory to get. OWC lists different ram for the 6-core 3.33ghz mp than for the 2.8ghz quad-core. Does it not really matter which ram goes in?

The bummer is that Apple doesn't seem to have any more refurb 2010 Quads available.

Thanks again,

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 12:01 PM   in reply to jenbob2

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC560LL/A

^^ Apple store online (USA) has one for $2119. Not sure if that applies to you. It's been available for months now. If you're not in the US, maybe you could pay someone to buy it and ship it to you somehow? I'm not sure how that works, or if you could avoid some kind of tax penalty in any way, but I'd ship it somewhere if entrusted to do so.

The RAM OWC sells all works. I got the 2010 1333MHz RAM for the extra $5, and it indeed runs at 1333. That's the key to it... Do you want it to run at 1066 or 1333? I saw someone had problems getting their 2.4GHz Mac Pro to run at 1333, so there may be something in the firmware knocking the speed down to 1066, since the chips are specified to be able to run up to 1333. Perhaps the folks at OWC learned of such a limitation and show the RAM accordingly.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2011 12:47 PM   in reply to wonderspark

Thanks again. The stock of the 2010 quad seems to go in and out a lot. This morning they had none available, then it early this afternoon (est) it became available. I bought one instantly.  Glad to have finally made a decision.

Thanks again for all the great direction,

bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 6:03 PM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason Van Patten wrote:

The Mac Rumors forums have a number of threads discussing this very thing, usually complete with pictures and whatnot.  This thread is one.  He adds instructions, pictures, tools you'll need, etc in the post.

Sorry to dredge up a +2 week old thread, but for what it's worth, I recently sold my 4 year old Mac Pro 3,1 and got a used Mac Pro 5,1 with the dual 2.4GHz e5620 chips.  Along with that, I picked up 6 8G 1333MHz DDR3 sticks and a pair of Intel x5690 chips (6-core, 3.46GHz).  I completed the processor swap today in my kitchen.  The Mac booted up without any drama whatsoever, and it seems to work fine.

Before the processor upgrade (but after the RAM) -

macpro1.png

And after the processor upgrade -

macpro2.png

Note the RAM speed in the "before" picture.  Given that the e5620 chips are 1066MHz, the memory shows up with the appropriate speed.  But after the x5690s are put in, it shows up at 1333.

Pretty damn cool.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Hey Jason,

Sorry for dredging up a +11 (more or less) months thread but man, that's a nice setup! I also have a Mac Pro 5,1 with the dual 2.4ghz E5620 chips and planning to upgrade to a pair of intel X5690 chips. Anyway, how's the performance difference with the E5620 chips when using PP, AE and other softwares? And do you think this is a good upgrade or are there better chips / should I wait for other new faster chips (if there's any) for my current 2.4ghz Mac Pro? Thanks.

Ash

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to ash.s

ash.s wrote:

Anyway, how's the performance difference with the E5620 chips when using PP, AE and other softwares? And do you think this is a good upgrade or are there better chips / should I wait for other new faster chips (if there's any) for my current 2.4ghz Mac Pro?

I never tested any of the Adobe software prior to upgrading the Mac.  I literally bought the used Mac with the goal of upgrading the processors right from the get-go.  Given that, I haven't the foggiest whether the processor upgrade made a huge difference.

There aren't faster processors available for that particular slot design.  The X5690s are it.

I don't know what you're running as a video card, but I'd look to that first before spending the cash on the Intel server processors.  They ain't cheap.

jas

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2012 4:41 AM   in reply to Jason Van Patten

Jason,

My current video card is ATI Radeon HD 5770 but I'm waiting for my GTX 570 2.5 GB to be delivered. Well, I'm not going to upgrade my processors anytime soon because like you said, they ain't cheap. I'm just gathering some informations for future upgrades. Anyway, thanks for the infos!

Ash

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points