Skip navigation
The_IRS
Currently Being Moderated

How to sharpen for Blurb?

Jan 15, 2012 3:25 PM

Shouldn't there be a sharpening section in the Book Module?

Or does Blurb auto-sharpen uploaded books prior to printing?

Sorry if I am missing anything but I cannot believe it's a good idea to sharpen in develop module (before images get resized to the appropiate blurb ppi count)..

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to The_IRS

Good point. I'm not aware of any sharpening done by blurb and the books ive made I have used standard print output sharpening when exporting to jpeg to later import to Blurb booksmart. There should be an output sharpening panel similar to the Print module.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to The_IRS

That kinda beats the whole point of having a book module in Lightroom. If youre gonna exort you may as well use Blurb booksmart which is more versatile. Either there is some export sharpening going on behind the scenes or this in an omission.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to The_IRS

Don't worry, LR applies output sharpening when creating the PDF to send to Blurb.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 2:45 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I always found Standard setting to be low, and High setting to be Standard.

I'm wondering how sharp could my images be when printed from Blurb. I fear not so much, at least for my taste

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 2:52 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I thought as much, but if the sharpening is done behind the scenes then the user does not know.

I suppose Adobe have set an optimum amount of sharpening for Blurb books, but this really needs to be in a pannel so the user can decide and for LR4 be consistent with output sharpening options presented elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 3:40 AM   in reply to bluesplayer43

If you export to PDF, you can choose the sharpening yourself.  The Blurb interface has stayed very simple - can you imagine people doing 'test books' just to check the sharpening they prefer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 4:32 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Yes so it would seem, a bit too simple perhaps. After all LR is suposed to be a serious professional package and in all other aspects it's the user who can choose the level/quality of output sharpening. I don't see why it should be any different for books. We can even choose the level of sharpening for emailed jpegs so not to be able to do this for what may be an expensive book just doesn't really make any sense.

I don't know about you but I always do some test prints at comparable sizes before committing to a book. I don't see this as a deal breaker but it gives the impression adobe have focused on quantity rather than quality. There are an abundance of new feature in LR4 beta, which sound great, but the book module is beginning to look rather limited. For very basic photobooks it's probably ok, but anything else, especially those with a decent amount of text,  then Blurb's owm Booksmart still looks a better option to me. The most disspointing thing is that it's very close.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to bluesplayer43

Ok, so do some test prints using Blurb's presses so you can decide on the sharpening that suits you best.  The automated Blurb upload is set to Standard Glossy.  If you'd prefer something different, use the PDF section where you can choose the sharpening, and upload the PDF to Blurb yourself using the PDF to Book setup.  As a professional, I'm sure you'll be able to do that, whereas the automated upload needs to be simpler for less computer-literate users.

It's a version 1 feature, so it will continue to grow and mature over time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

That's really not the point Victoria.

There's clearly an awful lot of work gone into the book module,  the interface is great and works really well too, but your end product is limited. Without adjustable layout, page numbers, contents pages etc., and the ability to handle text better, it really limits what you can do with this. Sure there a  few little work arounds, but there shouldn't have to be. You give the impression that as a version 1 feature we should accept it "as is" (as you probably know that we are going to have to anyway), however, if it had a few more features it would be an absolute killer module. I'm not a professional, but have done a few photobooks and calenders from various vendors and at the moment BookSmart offers more flexibility that LR4 Book module, which is a huge dissapointment. Another 20 months or so to wait after the official LR4 release for a professional book module is just crazy.

I just can't see me using this apart from a few holiday snapshot books. I'll still export pictures and use Booksmart for a more the more flexible layout to produce a professional looking product. But that;'s not what I wanted to do.

It seems a real pity to me to come so close. I'd prefer Adobe do it 'properly' and have a much later LR4 final release date, rather than have to wait for Book Module version 2, but then again I guess commercial reasons will dictate otherwise.

The Book module is headline grabbing but just falls short.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to bluesplayer43

bluesplayer43 wrote:

I'd prefer Adobe do it 'properly' and have a much later LR4 final release date, rather than have to wait for Book Module version 2, but then again I guess commercial reasons will dictate otherwise.

I wouldn't disagree, I'd love for them to do it all 'properly,' not just Book.  But no software developer would ever release software if they waited until it was 'just so'.  It's a really tough line to draw, and rarely the engineering team's decision, as far as I understand it.  All I can do is offer solutions and workarounds in the meantime.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to The_IRS

The_IRS wrote:

Furthermore leave "output" sharpening to Blurb and use glossy paper.

You should find the sharpening is reasonable on their other papers too, but yes, that's the idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I appreciate your honest reply Victoria, it's just that the book module looked so good on initial inspection, but just falls a little way short. Like I said above, really at the very last hurdle. It's so so close to being great that I can't help think that it's worth improving on before the final release. The snappers and perhaps even some wedding photographers may find it useful, and for basic stuff I may use it too. I love the way it's been implemented and it looks really professional, but it's just missing some flexibility. It should at least be able to compete with the online options out there and the many free downloadable packages that the book companies provide. As a basic photo-book it probably does just, but if you want a professional layout with features I've mentioned it just fall short. But it really is not that far away.

I'll just have to hope many other forum members voice a similar opinion to persuade the Adobe boffins to push it a little further.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 16, 2012 9:49 AM   in reply to bluesplayer43

It may happen.  Or there is a history of extra "little" bits being added in odd dot releases, so I wouldn't give up hope even if it doesn't make the final release.  I don't know either way, but they've surprised me in the past!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Would love to see sharpening settings too !

There will a lot of people that will ask this question : does lightroom sharpnen at printsize when exporting blurb or not

having sharpening setting would clearly stands that it occures !

So the PDF workflow produce PDF/X pdf according burbs specification if i understand well?

For the moment i'll go with it

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to bluesplayer43

+1 for sharpening control when publishing books

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)