Skip navigation
gagrinds
Currently Being Moderated

Laptop with Intensity Shuttle and Premiere Pro

Jan 11, 2012 10:01 AM

Tags: #capture

I purchased a Black Magic Design Intensity Shuttle about a year ago, but I have not been able to get it to run on any laptop that I have tried.  I am using it with Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and Windows 7 64bit.  Is anyone aware of a Dell laptop, or similar, that works with this device.  I though about ordering a Dell Precision M6600 with dual raid drives, a semiconductor system drive, USB3, and a nVidia CUDA graphics card, but I would like to know if the Shuttle will run with it.  Have any of you tried the Shuttle with such a system?

Gene

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to gagrinds

Sadly, neither the Intensity Shuttle nor the Ultra Studio SDI worked with my Dell M6600 fitted with a Quadro 3000 M when outputting an HD signal to my Sony PVM-2541 monitor. The signal kept breaking so I had to downconvert it to SD to get a stable signal. I had no choice but to sell them both, which is a pity because they worked great on a desktop machine with an X58 motherboard like the Asus P6X58D-Premium. Blackmagic blames the Dell's USB 3.0 port which they say doesn't provide enough bandwidth.

I hope this information will save you buying and reselling the Shutttle as I did.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to RDA972

The Problem is 2 fold. They have drivers and firmware that will not allow the full bandwidth. You can get the correct drivers and firmware here:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

Also Most mobile units have the newer NEC chip that uses the 4.0.1.5.0.2 firmware. The driver with that firmware is what you want to use if that unit has that chip.

Once you get the firmware updated after the newer driver install then make sure all your USB3 devices are not attached. Launch the Renesas panel and checkmark the box to disable the Power Management.

Then go into device manager and check each USB root hubs power management tab and make sure that is disabled.

Now the 2nd part is the USB3 on laptops is 1 port has less bandwidth than the other. I believe the port toward the front is the one you want to use but you will have to try 1 and then the other if that does not work.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Thank you, Eric, for a most interesting post. Now, if only I could "borrow" one of the devices I sold to run new tests.

The good news is, I think I can.

I'll report back as soon as retesting is complete.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to gagrinds

Did your Dell M6600 have i7 or i5 processors?

Did you upgrade the USB 3 firmware and drivers?

My Dell M6600 has an i7-2720 QM CPU, 16 GB (1600 ) of RAM, and a Quadro 300 M GPU.

My USB 3.0 driver version is 2.1.28.0 and the firmware version is 4015.

Hope that helps.

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:17 PM   in reply to RDA972

That driver and firmware version should fine provided you disabled all of the power management for the USB3 controller, which is that check mark box that is not checked in your screen pic and all of the root hubs in device manager under their Power mangement tab. Then just make sure you have the latest driver from Blackmagic and try each port. One of the ports will work and the other will not.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to ECBowen

I'll do as you suggest as soon as I can lay my hands on one the devices I sold and report back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 4:37 AM   in reply to ECBowen

Well, I did conduct more tests yesterday but I am sad to say they were all inconclusive even though I followed Eric's recommendations. The HD signal kept breaking as was the case before. Bummer!

Therefore I airily proclaim that the Dell M6600 is incompatible with Blackmagic Design's USB 3.0 products when it comes to sending an HD signal to an external video monitor.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to RDA972

Was the Preview breaking up or just capture? What did you have your capture codec set to?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to ECBowen

Preview out of PPro CS5.5 was breaking up as I was playing back an XDCAM EX timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to RDA972

What Blackmagic Driver did you install? Does it do the same thing in Media Express?

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to ECBowen

What Blackmagic Driver did you install?

Latest driver 9.0.

Does it do the same thing in Media Express?

It did when I was trying to get the UltraStudio SDI to work in HD. I didn't try Media Express when I hooked up the Shuttle.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 5:05 AM   in reply to RDA972

More questions.

So the signal is breaking (on - off), no video at all? Or did the video stop and continue?

What is your disk speed with Blackmagic Disk Speed test?

pena

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to pejaka

"The (HD) signal is breaking (on-off)" as you put it.

Disk speed = 103.8 MB/s (write) and 106.1 MB/s (Read).

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points