Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Point Curves - two requests

Jan 14, 2012 12:57 PM

Now with RGB curves the point curves have definitely come along!

However, there are two things I would love to see to make work with point curves easier:

1. A larger display, either switchable or zoomable (like in Photoshop). Doing exact adjustments in the current panel can get finicky.
  2. Please display the numerical parameters for the point curves and make them editable. Just like in Photoshop and for the same reason as the point above - to make precise adjustments easier. Capture One shows the numbers, Nikon Capture NX2 does too. And LR should do so as well (plus make them editable).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to Thomas Geist

I concur. The code writing should not be that tricky, since competitors have shown the way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Kiwi-Al

I would love it if Lr4 had RGB "Levels Adjustment" as does Photoshop Elements.

I initially thought this new RGB Tone Curve did the trick but - not quite...

Anyone concur?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

You can currently invert an image using the point curve by starting with a linear curve and simply dragging the left control point all the way to the top and the right one all the way to the bottom. It is a bit fiddely to get right and you may have to drag the points in several steps because they keep snapping around, but once you have it, you can save it as a preset.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

As it may not make the final release, might I suggest adding it as a suggestion on the Feature Request forum http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family where it can easily be tracked?  If you post the link to your request here, others can also vote on your request. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Not to step on Thomas' toes, but I posted a very similar request on the feature request forum here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_make_c urves_bigger

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Thomas Geist

While I would (as the writer of the aformentioned article) be a large proponent of RGB point curves in LR4 (I posted about this a while back on this board) I think they aren't in there because our curve tool as it stands is simulated and sitting directly on top of a bunch of raw processing algos. What I would really preffer, in order to fix this problem and any other problems that might crop up, is for Adobe to decide to graduate raw developers from their infant closed source state today and build a true plugin API that would let third party developers build actual filter plugins just like for Photoshop.

As a linear raw film scan proponent (user of CF Systems plugins, .fff, etc) I think LR could be uniqually placed to tie both old-film photo and new-world camera raw developing togther. LR is an image developer. That means it deals in a completely non-distruction kinda post-RGB working space. If it opened just one more layer of raw processing in the form of an API, I think we would start seeing LR become the full horse it really should be at this point. In my mind, basically v 1,2,3,4 have all progessed along a farly straight sloping line when it comes to features and usability. I understand this. Mission creep can kill all image editors (just look at Photoshop). But plugin people can't really get into the deep end of this interface because it's not open enough. Time to step up.

Best,

Walker

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to Immaculens

Immaculens wrote:

I would love it if Lr4 had RGB "Levels Adjustment" as does Photoshop Elements.

I initially thought this new RGB Tone Curve did the trick but - not quite...

Anyone concur?

There is sort of a levels adjustment if you place your cursor in the histogram you can drag and adust different ranges.  Admittedly, it's not the same.  But it can be quite helpful at times.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points