Skip navigation

What PC to build? An update...

Jan 11, 2012 6:37 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #pc #system #build #components #budget
  Latest reply: Alain Van Haecke, Feb 10, 2014 4:35 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Dr Jared

the 590 is also a waste of money, unless you are a gamer. its a SLI card not supported in Adobe or any other NLE. and frankly i rarely recommend a 580.

the price for performance difference from a 570 (2.5Gig ) to a 580 is high vs performance is negligable.

so you see i recommend whats most cost effective for my clients DESPITE the fact i make far more $ on a Quadro...

but again what do i know according to you.

as far as performance from a 4000 to a 570 for many yes the performance would be noticable considering you are long form.

but it would also depend on layers/effects and are they Cuda or CPU effects.

obviously if cuda accelerated then yes you would benefit from a lesser priced video card.

a clear case of listening to "marketing" and not sound advice.

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to Videoguys

Amen Gary.  Looking forward to your DIY9 article!  Have you got a test machine built yet?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Videoguys

Hey Gary,

No I get what you are saying.. (sorry about Avid I have a rather strong dislike for all things Avid both audio and video)

I sell them because I have to..

The problem with forums is a comment made like Quadros fix issues that GTX cards seem to have.

Might be taken as “gospel”  case in point with 1 particular forum reader…

I am not trying to ruffle your feathers, I just want both sides presented.

And you know very well how grateful I am you recommend people to us.

Scott

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Sheesh, after all these years and my diplomacy training is still not beating the New Yorker in someone

To get this back on the original topic; Harm has created an overview answering some of the most common questions I get about the HD transition from even tenured Pro's in the media content creation industry. He is also very clearly explaining the types of differences required based just on the material you deal with before you even get into your workflow between applications and workload in each application. Please use this info because you can search the Internet until your eyes bleed and you wont find this in any one place. The manufacturers keep this info closely convoluted on purpose and I wont get into why since it will ruffle to many feathers.

As for the Debate on Graphics cards, keep in mind regardless of who tells you what, Nvidia writes the drivers for both. The added updates for the Gaming cards are due to games. Look at the readme notes and you can see what was changed. Compositing, Animation, and Video applications change far less frequently so the need to update is far less. Quadro cards are designed for Open GL applications. Gaming cards are designed for Direct X. They both have the other API included in the drivers but Quadro's will perform better with certain Open GL applications because of the Plugins included with the driver install. However keep in mind many of those applications are transitioning over to Direct X so at that point the Gaming cards will perform better. Adobe gains zero benefit from the Quadro cards other than 10bit color preview which requires allot more than just the video card. Most are not working in 10 bit or if they are don't need the 10bit color preview. If you do then you will require a Quadro. As a personal note, the first 6 month failure rate on Quadro cards I have dealt with have been far higher than the gaming cards at about 15% to 20%. Nvidia does not manufacturer the Quadro's in the US. PNY does. That is who decides the Quality, not Nvidia.

Eric

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

thanks to Harm and the other guys  for that  post.

I am situated in "warrior" running 64bit, I7-960, 24 GB RAM, 7 TB Raid Areca 1680ix, 2x 570 Geforce. OC is necessary.

Footage XDCAM and 10bit uncompressed or PRORES, i do huge color corrections  and  also special effects in After Effects.

I want to upgrade to ASUS  P9X79 Asus WS and I-3930 (or 3960).  You suggested 64 GB 8x8 1600+ RAM.

As i found for the moment 8x8 GB stricks seems to be expensive. They are situated in about EUR + 1.000 (Gskill DDR 3-1600 CL 10-10-10-30).

Can another RAM solution or combination be found for a balanced system. Which RAM is BFTB, but not having a bottelnec.

thanks

klfi

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to klfi

32gig should be more than plenty for most users even with CS6 using even more ram

Scott

ADK

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to klfi

Klaus,

Here is what I would get right now for $324 USD (if I could afford the rest of your proposed system), then you could always upgrade if we really find some advantage.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to Scott Chichelli

Speaking of CS6, and taking this thread OT, I am nervous about Adobe's recently announced more draconian policy with upgrade paths.  Specifically, that CS5 to CS6 is going to come with the full upgrade discount, and that it won't be limited to CS5.5 owners.

Getting back on topic,  I am really pleased with my 3930K system now the bugs have been ironed out, and it is working really nicely.   I have seen pretty high CPU usage while exporting, but never more than half of the 32Gb RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

They just reversed a decision about upgrade eligibility, and will continue to offer discounts three versions back. I suspect it will be less of a discount the further back you go, but a discount nonetheless.

Found it! Here it is: CS6

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,873 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to wonderspark

Thanks for that. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Thanks Bill and Harm for yr replies.

I have read, studied and learned a LOT from this forum about CPU, mainboards drives, there configuration, Raid and controllers, grafic cards, cases, cooling, win7 config  and tools, BFTB..... and i am now able to understand this part of balanced System ...and for me important - also to work with in an understandable way.

I learned how important in using CS5.5 and AE is a BALANCED system, having as less bottlenecks as possible. In PPBM5 i found also rules.

Is there any thread or posts where i can get more knowledge about RAM DIMM3 in a balanced CS 5.5 system (not gaming). I am interest to get to know to learn and understand the relation CPU to RAM-sticks, the meaning of 1333, 1600, 1800, 1833 and so on. Also what is and what means timing and CL (9-9-9-24, 10-10-10-30 clock ??).

Where i have to search?

What i understand about RAM in general is "more is better" and "only use one set and do not mix" but i am not able to work with RAM in a understandable way.

Thanks for all recommendations

Klaus

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to klfi

Klaus,

Regarding what RAM specifications are important for Premiere Pro:

- size is way more important than speed

- speed is way more important than CAS (latency timings, etc.)

- don't forget rated voltage too since you are overclocking; when you have lower voltage RAM (I use 1.5v. on X58) I believe that the CPU memory controller is not taxed as hard as with higher voltage RAM

It seems that the "record-breaking" OC crowd and gamer enthusiasts do buy really expensive RAM with super high speeds and low timings, but they are building systems with MUCH less RAM than those of us here on the Adobe HW forum. Regarding more information about timings, just Google "RAM CAS timing vs RAM speed" and you can surf for a long time.

Frankly, I thought that RAM speed would really impact Adobe Premiere Pro, but based on numerous runs using PPBM5 I can say that RAM size is very important until you hit 16GB (for CS5, possibly higher for CS5.5 and the CS6 of the future) and RAM speed differences were so slight they were difficult to even notice.

I have read that AE can utilize more RAM than PPro if that is important to your workflow - simply do what you do and monitor the memory usage by your PC using the Task Manager Performance tab.

Finally, why don't you just pop a 6-core 32nm CPU into your current PC and buy some more time before doing a complete motherboard, RAM, CPU upgrade? That will give you 50% more cores and be a WAY easier migration path than a complete new PC. The rest of your system is quite strong and while the new X79 6-core may be a bit faster than adding a 6-core 32nm to your existing X58, the serous speed improvements are likely still many months away with X79 motherboard designs still maturing and 8-core CPUs (or more!?) being added to the mix.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to JEShort01

Thanks Jim

for yr help and recommendations. Maybe you are right, i will think about and google about RAM v speed. I did befor but a little difficult to understand.

So you mean only to upgrade to I7-980x extrem edition or I7 990x extreme edition.

CUPID says my current RAM is DDR3 24 GB channels triple, NB Frequence 3200 MHz, DRAM 800.0 MHz, FSB DRAM 210, 9-9-9-24, 128 clocks command rate 2T.

During rendering a PP 5.5 timeline  recurcemonitor says used RAM 22% and CPU +/- 99%.

During exporting same timline to h264 (35-40 Mbts) recource monitor says RAM 40-50% and CPU 90%.

Is this balanced ?

your recomandation

don't forget rated voltage too since you are overclocking; when you have lower voltage RAM (I use 1.5v. on X58) I believe that the CPU memory controller is not taxed as hard as with higher voltage RAM

maybe i do not understand in the right way becouse less of general knowlede.

For DRAM BusVoltage in BIOS mainboard ASUS P6T6 WSrevolution i use 1,5 volt.
    CPU Ratio is 25.0
    BCLK Freq is 160
    PCIE is 100
    DRAM Freq is DDR3-1604 MHz
    DRAM timing control i did not change an touch.

Am i on the right way?

Thanks for your time

Klaus

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to klfi

Klaus,

Regarding which 6-core, that probably depends largely on what options you have available and at what price! I selected the i7-970, which along with the i7-980 are less expensive CPUs, but more time consuming to overclock vs. the i7-980x and i7-990x. When I purchased it, the 980x and 990x were over $500 more expensive, but it seems that with the advent of the X79 stuff the 980x and 990x prices have dropped considerably.

Regarding does you system sound balanced, yes, from what your reporting, it sounds pretty good. And since your CPU is hitting close to 100%, it would seem that your drives are keeping up.

I don't want to comment regarding specific ratios, BCLK, etc. since various motherboard designs do have slightly different designs and setup options and also because each and every CPU can vary slightly due to the manfacturing process. As you are already at 4 GHz, with RAM at 1604 MHz, you are indeed doing well with your current setup. When I made the move from a i7-950 to a i7-970, the maximum stable OC speed that I got was just about identical even with 50% additional cores on the 970. I would contribute this to the smaller die size of the 970 design; it is 32nm, or the same as Sandy Bridge CPUs.

I personally have not done any DRAM timing control tweaking. I have a Gigabyte board and simply set the multiplier and have the motherboard adjust the timings automatically.

Cheers,

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 8:57 PM   in reply to JEShort01

Thanks Jim

Klaus

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,I've been reading these forums on and off for a few years,and I appreciate the lengths you've gone to to provide free advice that actually carries weight.

I'm working with audio and video,and have decided to upgrade my ageing Q9400 system to the Economical System you posted here.

I know you can't and shouldn't be held responsible on estimated pricing,but could you suggest a supplier for the parts you listed?

I realise you may not want to recommend a supplier as such,but any suggestions would be welcome.I would of course be responsible to check for myself on their reputation etc.

I live in Ireland,and would probably be better off importing from the Netherlands (rather than the UK) as the currency is the same,and the UK prices I've seen so far are 1 to 1 with the Euro prices you mentioned.

One last thing - I am working with XDCAM EX files,and also plan to concentrate on animation and video using a Canon eos7D. I am only looking into the animation workflow at present. My question is - would overclocking the i7 2600k bring any big benefits? I mean solely for editing purposes,as render times don't bother me that much. I would say my typical projects are of low to moderate complexity as regards track count and effects used etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks. Another problem I've just come across is that on browsing the various suppliers sites,there are many variations of the GTX 560 ti available.

1)Is there a particular one that's more suitable for video editing?

2)I'm wondering how to objectively rate video cards generally,given that they have different Gb rating,number of cores,Mhz etc.

I realise that it has to be GDDR 5;and at least a 1Gb card;and that more cores is probably better,but the choice seems confusing,as sometimes for example the Gb is higher,but it has less cores,and the same goes for the Mhz.

Is there any information that could help me quickly decide,and that refers to real world performance gains to be expected by moving up to,say,a 570 or 580 card,given that I'm definately using the 2600K processor?

Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to JockLaw

JockLaw.

Well they have recently really confused the issue the 560 card is the only one that I know of that is offered with two different amounts of cores (384 and 448) this is not an immense improvement   Do not pay extra for clock speed as it does no good.  Memory is generally not a factor unless you are using extremely large image sizes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 1:56 PM   in reply to JockLaw

JockLaw wrote:

Thanks. Another problem I've just come across is that on browsing the various suppliers sites,there are many variations of the GTX 560 ti available.

1)Is there a particular one that's more suitable for video editing?

2)I'm wondering how to objectively rate video cards generally,given that they have different Gb rating,number of cores,Mhz etc.

I realise that it has to be GDDR 5;and at least a 1Gb card;and that more cores is probably better,but the choice seems confusing,as sometimes for example the Gb is higher,but it has less cores,and the same goes for the Mhz.

Is there any information that could help me quickly decide,and that refers to real world performance gains to be expected by moving up to,say,a 570 or 580 card,given that I'm definately using the 2600K processor?

Thanks again.

GPU-test-PPBM5.5-new.jpg

Here are the results of my testing

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 6:53 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm,

First off, I can't thank you enough for this guide as well as the countless other answers and posts in other forums I've been scouring these past couple months. 6 Months ago I purchased a woefully underpowered system (and AMD, noless) and it's been a source of constant nightmares and the only reason I've managed to make due this far is thanks to you.

At any rate, I'm looking to build a legitimate system I'm an enthusiast using a DSLR, Premiere, and limited amount of AfterEffects. I'm also just about to graduate college (read: poor), but am trying to put together a system with room for improvement. I think I've got most of what I want figured out (mostly what you suggested) with the exception of the motherboard. All the Z68-UD5s are listed as not available on newegg and I saw some article about a recall. Looking at Asus boards I stumbled across one that was a P67 instead of Z68, I was wondering what the difference is, or rather if the differences are something I should be worried about? Also, what are the key things I should look for in a motherboard?

Thanks so much,

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thank you for your detailed response Harm,

I think I've got a decent handle on the more common features I'm looking for as far as ports, dimms, and slots goes, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making the same sort of faux pas as I did when I went AMD before. The kind of thing where it's either NEVER do this, or ALWAYS get this. As long as there aren't any of those, I should be set then.

Thanks again,

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to Bill Gehrke

Bill Gehrke wrote:

JockLaw.

Well they have recently really confused the issue the 560 card is the only one that I know of that is offered with two different amounts of cores (384 and 448) this is not an immense improvement   Do not pay extra for clock speed as it does no good.  Memory is generally not a factor unless you are using extremely large image sizes.

So would you recommend a GTX 560 Ti with 384 CUDA cores and 2GB over a GTX 560 Ti with 448 and 1,25 GB?

Thanks a lot!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 7:12 PM   in reply to ultimatte

ultimatte wrote:

So would you recommend a GTX 560 Ti with 384 CUDA cores and 2GB over a GTX 560 Ti with 448 and 1,25 GB?

Thanks a lot!

That depends on the size of your video frames. With RED 4K, the 1.25GB card could very well run out of RAM - and when an image demands more RAM than the discrete card has onboard, the entire image will default entirely to the MPE software-only mode for rendering. On the other hand, typical 1080p frames are easily contained within the 1GB of video RAM unless numerous multiple layers and effects are applied.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 3:08 AM   in reply to RjL190365

Thank you!

So it's handling of more layers and effects versus faster encoding...

Do I understand this right that  more RAM would be better for other Adobe Software like AFX and Photoshop?

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to ultimatte

ultimatte wrote:

Do I understand this right that  more RAM would be better for other Adobe Software like AFX and Photoshop?

You're confusing VRAM (graphics card RAM) with system RAM, which are both entirely separate from one another, in this case. AE and Photoshop prefer more system RAM but don't rely on graphics card RAM as much.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

This is a great update about PC hardware. On the other hand, I would like to that think it would be great to write a discussion about the recommended display and monitoring solution for Premiere Pro in a similar way, considering footage, vendors, budget etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to RjL190365

Thank you for your answer!

I wasn't confusing RAM with VRAM. I just thought After Effects relied on VRAM, too!?

So it's really just Premiere that relies on VRAM and CUDA cores?

What do you consider 'numerous multiple layers and effects'?

I'm asking to get an idea of what I need...

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Thanks so much harm for this thread and the many answers, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I need a workstation to run cs5.5. I'm mostly using PPro and AE, for 30min movies using lots of VFX on HDV rushes.

I have a little extra $$ to boost from your "economic" config. What would you recommend given my needs? Increase RAM to 32 Gb or upgrade the video card to the GTX580? Would it unbalanced the whole wkstation by creating bottlenecks? What if I do both upgrades?

Best

Zovic

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm: thanks so much for your fast and precise answer!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 6:42 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Great information here.  Thank you for posting.  i've been conferring with my IT dept. and think we've come up with specs that will fit our budget.  I wonder if you folks would take a look and tell me if there are any glaring problems with our decision.  i will be editing with AVCHD (new to me with this purchase).  while i'm currently using AVID Liquid Pro, we are upgrading to Premiere Pro CS5 and this is what we're looking to put together in a system......

HP Z800 (FM104UT)

Xeon E5620   2.4 GHz processor

16 GB RAM

1 TB Internal HD

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 Graphics

DVD writer

Blue Ray writer

USB 3.0 card

2 external / portable USB 3.0 HD

multicard reader

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to jedwards2325

It is a shame that you cannot convince your IT department to get a system designed for video editing, like ADK does.  You only have 8 GB per processor which is awful weak.  You would be much better off with a single, faster, newer, overclockable processor tuned for NLE work.  You are buying CPU's (LGA 1366) that are now several generations old.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to jedwards2325

That particular system costs way too much money for too little actual performance. Here's why:

1) A single Xeon E5620 is slower than a first-generation i7-920 or even a currently available i5-2400 to begin with. The only reason to get a Z800 is in its dual-CPU configuration - and it needs dual hex-core Xeons to even come anywhere close to worthwhile. Unfortunately, the E5620 is only quad-core, not hex-core.

2) For that platform, get 24GB or 48GB of RAM. 16GB isn't enough in a dual-CPU-capable platform and does not divide evenly into three memory controller channels (these particular Xeons are triple-channel - but 16GB of RAM using four sticks would have forced the memory controller to operate in a hybrid triple- and single-channel mode where the first 12GB would operate in triple-channel and the remaining 4GB would operate in single-channel).

3) The Quadro 4000 is actually recommended by AVID for its higher-end programs. However, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 does not make much if any use of the Quadro's added capabilities; in fact, as far as performance is concerned Premiere Pro will think the Quadro 4000 is slower than a GeForce GTX 460.

4) Why two burners? All Blu-ray burners also burn DVDs and CDs. In fact, the only purpose of dual optical burners is to copy one DVD directly to another without having to rip the original DVD's contents onto the hard drive first. Or is it that you thought that Blu-ray burners accept only Blu-ray media and don't accept DVD or CD media at all?

5) As configured, that Z800 lacks any internal RAID drives. Premiere Pro benefits from fast internal RAID drives (but you should avoid RAIDing the OS drive). And two external USB 3.0 drive kits are usually too slow in physical transfer speed to be of much use for any purpose besides backups since many of them spin at only 5400 RPM or even slower. Very few commercially-assembled USB 3.0 external hard drive kits spin at 7200 RPM (the minimum rotational speed for a hard drive that we recommend in an editing system).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 4 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (9)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points