Skip navigation
CMeisinger
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server

May 4, 2011 9:14 AM

I have a user who is unable to open any PDF's using Acrobat Reader X he has the latest version and is using Wind

ows XP SP3.  When he tries to open any PDF he gets the error "Acrobat failed to connect to

DDE Server" any help with this is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Replies
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    May 9, 2011 2:53 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Good day Chris,

I'm not sure if you're having diffuculty w/ Acrobat or w/ Reader.  Regardless, this issue is most commonly related to file associations.

As the user to do the following:

1. Locate a PDF on the system via Search (any PDF will do)
    2. Hold down the Shift key and right-click the PDF file > Select 'Open with..'
    3. Select either Acrobat or Adobe Reader (depending on which application is actually installed)
    4. Check the box at the bottom of the dialog box that says 'Always open with..'

If the issue persists after trying this, repair Acrobat or Reader.  This can be done via the Help > Repair menu option.

Regards,
    David
    Acrobat Community Manager
    Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
  • David Kastendick
    3,236 posts
    Apr 7, 2010
    May 10, 2011 2:34 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Hi Chris,

Thanks for letting us know that it's working properly now!  Glad to know the solution.

Thanks,

David

Acrobat Community Manager

Adobe Systems

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 24, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to David Kastendick

I have the same problem. Opening a pdf inside a browser doesn't work. Opening a pdf either in Acrobat Reader X or Acrobat 9 Pro. Sometimes a pdf opens after more than 5 min! But even than Acrobat freezes, the top showing "File", "Edit" etc. disapears!  I uninstalled any security programs with firewalls; no changes. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work. Making pdf's with any software is no problem. I use Windows XP running Adobe CS4. Any help?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2011 11:34 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Hi Chris,

Are you able to remember what to do with your Endpoint Protection?

I'm having exactly the same problem. Perhabs a central exeption would solve this problem?

Regards

Florian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2011 3:27 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

I started to get  the same problem today.

I tried the <shift> "open with..." Doesn't work.

I think Adobe should provide an answer immediately. Most of my files are in Acrobat!!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2011 4:21 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Adobe Reader function returned after rebooting - but it came up slowly. Now I'm worried. I've been using Windows 7 for a year with Spyware Doctor without problems. I haven't done anything to the machine and I haven't installed anything new for months.

Where did this "Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server" spring from?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 6:56 AM   in reply to CMeisinger

Disabling the NAC wasn't the solution for my DDE server error.

The adobe support hotline told me to have a look at the folder permissions. All looks like it should be at my servers.

Anybody else here having another idea?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 10:53 AM   in reply to Florian Wolf

I just got an Adobe upgrade and the problem has gone. What the...!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 11:52 AM   in reply to CMeisinger

Yup.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 16, 2011 12:02 AM   in reply to CMeisinger

Thank you peter. I also updated the terminal servers and will see what happens next week.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 6:50 AM   in reply to Florian Wolf

Did the updates solve your problems?

I am also experiencing this on a terminal server,2k8r2. Both acrobat pro and acrobat reader have the latest updates. Reader is set at default for reading pdf files.

The problem occured after installing the latest updates in acrobat pro. There is no symantech or sophos security systems installed, even windows firewall is disabled.

Any sugestions?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 13, 2011 10:20 AM   in reply to SA TIPSA

The problem disappeared as soon as I loaded the latest (at the time) update.

I don’t use Symantec and Windows Defender was “OFF”.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 1:01 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

I have just today begun having the same problem. Adobe Reader X on Win 7 pro 64bit SP1

Can't be Symantec. I use MS Essentials security.

Can't make any changes via Adobe Reader, either, because it won't open -- even when I try to launch directly from the target EXE file.

This is making a LOT of PDFs unreadable and I am not happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2011 1:02 PM   in reply to David Kastendick

I have just today begun having the same problem. Adobe Reader X on Win 7 pro 64bit SP1

Can't be Symantec. I use MS Essentials security.

Can't make any changes via Adobe Reader, either, because it won't open -- even when I try to launch directly from the target EXE file.

This is making a LOT of PDFs unreadable and I am not happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 4:52 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

I just fixed this on a W2008R2 server.
    Copied the files from a working profile to the profile that had a problem

Copied all the adobe acrobat stuff from c:\Users\[workinguser]\appdata\   to c:\users\[userwithproblem]\appdata.

They can now open PDFs without the problem.. Would think that on a workstation you ocould do the same so long as all the versions were the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2011 5:02 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

I am getting a similar error - and I wasnt working with a PDF - I was using Filezilla to transfer files and two identical DDE erros pop up seemingly randomly - I will try and figure out how to replicate the error.

I dont seem to have any problem opening a PDF normally tho - I have Reader X and recently installed 9 Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2011 1:07 PM   in reply to waltermouse

If you just want to read PDFs, try installing a PDF reader like Nitro PDF Reader or Foxit Reader. Both of these read PDF files. Just google their names.

I got the same error using Acrobat Pro 9. I can't figure out why Acrobat needs to connect to a DDE server.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Take the updates. That should fix the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

Been observing the error for a while and I regularly get two of the errors pop up for no seeming reason whatsoever.

The Error occured durring a spybot rootkit scan.

eight times

in the.

hklm software classes - keys.

Left the machine alone to watch a movie and eat after that scan - and the error occured 27 times!

Hasnt been happening so much in the last two weeks.

I did notice that even tho I ran the 'check for updates' thing and it says there are none - that there are several updates available here at adobe - so I am downloading them and isntalling them manually. I will report if the error recurrs after the updates - seemes to have worked for Peter.

Check the version of Acrobat you have and it should be 9.5 - if not - something is stoping the update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to TheShea

Hi Shea,

Note that the 9.5 update is a full installer, which means you could uninstall your existing installation of Acrobat or Reader 9, and then just install 9.5 directly.

I know there are sometimes issues when you have to install a base version, and then update it (e.g. 9.3 > 9.4 > 9.4.1, etc.), and not having to do so usually mitigates installation-related problems.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform =Windows

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

I am having the exact problem. or when I try to open, it goes to the "buy Adobe screen" and will not allow me to open, unless I open in another tab!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 6:22 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Yo Carey! ( guess what I gots - An Acrobat 9 Pro ACE )

Well, I have reader X installed.. but that is neat to know. So the troubleshooting path here seems to be..

1. Verify update status of the software.

2. Verify that active security policies are not interfering with the software.
    3. Check if the problem happens in another user profile.

Hehe, we have two different scenarios here actually.. in my case the error is simply appearing. I dont have to be using PDFs or have either Reader or Acrobat running - which means the fast laucher / acrotray software is capable of generating the error. In other cases certain PDFs are failing to open, and in others the entire system is not launching..

Here is a thought - since the DDE naming conventions were changed in the Acrobat X would it be possible that the error is arising from having 'nonsanguine' versions of Acrobat and Reader? Say you have acrobat 8 but you recently installed Reader X - the behind the scenes program naming conventions are now different, but the systems are attempting to use the same resources. Perhaps this is the reason the problem is occuring? Obviously some sort of permissions issue is involved.. or changing security policies wouldnt do anything.

@All - is anyone experiencing the error with Acrobat X and Reader X installed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to TheShea

I'm pretty peeved. This "security update" pops up scaring you into installing the update to 9.5, only to find out that a) Adobe Pro doesn't work anymore b) reinstalling this 9.5 update again can't even  select my version of Adobe 9 to update agaain (probably b/c its already updated) c) Adobe version 9 and older owners have to pay extra to chat with somebody to find out what the hell happened.

I'm running an older Mac 10.4.11  Could this have been the reason that this 'update' can't run on my machine?  I'd just linke to turn back the hands of time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to KsubZero100

Something obviously went wrong durring the installation of 9.5 - running an update is certainly not *intended* to stop you from using the product. What the hell happened is there was a permissions or resources issue - or a software conflict on you system when you ran the updarte. That is what the hell happend Ksub

You could speak with Apple care and they would probably be able to get you through the uninstall and reinstall of the software - which is most likely what will have to happen at this point. You should also ask them about basic preventative system maintenance. I assume you were getting the DDE server error and this is what prompted you to run the update?

Intruiging.. its happening on both Mac and Win - well - You *were* getting the DDE error prior to or now that you have installed the update?

Do you have Reader X?

Message was edited by: TheShea

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to TheShea

No I don't have Reader, b/c Acrobat does everything reader can do. I just uninstalled and reinstalled my "older" Acrobat 9.0 so things are back to normal.  I'm going to ignore all call for any "updates" on my Acrobat

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to CMeisinger

We have been getting the "Fatal Error: Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server." message for quite some time without any consistent way of making the error happen.

We have six VM Citrix servers running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard v6.1.7600.1, Microsoft Dynamics SL v7.0 Feature Pack 1 - Professional Version 7.03.40312.01 (7.0.0.0), Adobe Acrobat Standard X v10.1.2.  We use Kaspersky AV 6.0 for Windows Servers for our Endpoint Protection.  Users use Citrix to run Dynamics from their local machine and when creating PDFs with BullZIP PDF, it will open PDFs in Acrobat Standard.

This was happening when we had Acrobat Standard v9 as well.  We tried uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat to see if that would fix it, but no joy.  We tried upgrading to Adobe Standard X to see if that would fix it, no joy.

Reading on these threads, to turning off Protected Mode,  The instructions say to Disable Protected Mode, you go to Edit > Preferences > General and deselecting Enable Protected Mode at startup.  However, when I get to that window, there in no check box for this.

Any other thoughts?  We're going crazy...

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 9, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to GDT-IT-Dept

I can't say for sure this will solve your problems

But we solved the problem today for a customer, by simply starting the two services on the machine:

Network DDE DSDM

Network DDE

In that order.

I hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to GDT-IT-Dept

In Adobe Reader XI (probably also in X), the option Enable Protected Mode at startup is located in Edit > Preferences >Security (Enhanced). It seems that in my case it was necessary to untick Enable Enhanced Security to get rid of the error message "Fatal Error: Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points