Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader "(Not Responding)"

Jan 14, 2012 5:20 PM

Tags: #reader #hangs #not_responding

I have had this problem for awhile now.

Whenever I try to open a PDF document on my compuuter Adobe Reader opens it, but when I go to scroll or click on one of the tabs I get (Not Responding) in the title bar. I wait for a short time but it just hangs, and when I click anywhere in the window it goes opaque leaving only the red X cancel button clear.

I was running the latest version of Reader, but uninstalled it and installed an earlier version (9.4) thinking it might fix things, but still getting the same problem.

My system details: Win7 Home Premium 64-bit OS

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 2:20 AM   in reply to cbncat

Hi,

Could you please try the following:

1. Please try updating to Reader 10.1.2 from http://get.adobe.com/reader and see if the issue exists

2. If the problem still exists, please let me know if the issue exists whil opening all PDFs or only some few specific ones.

Try accessing:http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709/attachments/Acrobat_Enterpris e_Administration.pdf

Try and save it to your machine, and see if the problem still exists.

but when I go to scroll or click on one of the tabs I get (Not Responding) in the title bar.

Also, could you expolain what exactly is it, that you mean by tabs? As far as I know, there arent any tabs in the Reader application.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 10:52 PM   in reply to cbncat

Thanks for trying out the said suggestions.

Could you also try and temporarily disable the antivirus software running on your system and try launching the PDF and see if it solves the issue.

Also, could you let me know if the uissue persists if you just launch the application and do not access any PDF.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 10:33 PM   in reply to cbncat

Thanks for replying back with the observations.

Could you also try and do the following:

1. Traverse to the Reader installation directory (Generally its C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 10.0)

2. Delete all the folders possible, with the exception of Setup Files.

3. Now, from within the Control Panel, go to Programs and Features.

4. Try and repair the Reader installation, by chosing Change/Modify for the Reader 10.1.2 entry.

5. Follow the steps and reboot if required.

6. Try and launch the application now.

Does this fix things?

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to cbncat

Would it be possible for you to provide me with the crash logs. You can follow the steps as below to get the same:

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx
    2. Launch WinDbg via the shortcut
    3. Open Command Prompt and type in the following commands:

cd c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)

windbg.exe –I

4. This would launch the WinDbg application for a moment and then show a dialog stating that WinDbg is now your default debugging application. Click OK to dismiss the same.

5. Open Reader and do whatever operation that produces the crash

6. Once Reader crashes, WinDbg will launch by itself. When prompted type in the following command in the WinDbg Console:

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit Enter)

7. This will create the crash log in C:\ by the name of temp.dmp. Please send it across in a zipped format to the same email address as in the PM.

Thanks

Ankit

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to cbncat

Sorry for not being clear the first time round.

Have edited the instructions as below.

1. Install WinDbg from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx
    2. Open Command Prompt (Click on the Start menu and type in cmd. You will se a entry on the top left side of the menu by the name of cmd. Right click on the same and click on "Run As Administrator")
    3. Type in the following commands:

cd c:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)

windbg.exe –I

4. This would launch the WinDbg application for a moment and then show a dialog stating that WinDbg is now your default debugging application. Click OK to dismiss the same.

5. Open Reader and do whatever operation that produces the crash

6. Once Reader crashes, WinDbg will launch by itself. When prompted type in the following command in the WinDbg Console:

.dump /ma c:\temp.dmp (Hit Enter)

7. This will create the crash log in C:\ by the name of temp.dmp. Please send it across in a zipped format to the same email address as in the PM.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to cbncat

Ankit_Jain,

Please post the resolution because I (and likely many others) am having the same problem as cbncat with my Windows 7 installation of Adobe 10.1.2.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 9:21 AM   in reply to cbncat

cbncat,

Try removing the check from the checkbox next to Enable Protected Mode at startup under the General category in Preferences under the Edit menu item.

Cheers,

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to ABC123XYZ242526

Would it be possible for you to send across the crash dump as asked above. It would help analyze the issue.

Also, are you facing this issue with this update onwards only or were you facing this with the earlier release as well?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2012 1:42 AM   in reply to cbncat

I have experienced problems on computers (XP, Vista 32 bit, Windows 7) using Adobe Reader X (10.1.2) with the Icelandic antivirus program F-prot. Adobe Reader X is very slow to start and it freezes ("not responding") when the user tries to close the program with a pdf file open. It is also difficult to be able to get to use menus to get to Adobe Reader X settings.

I Goggled this issue and found this recent Adobe article from 2012-01-09:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html#main_antivirus

I have experimented with disabling F-prot File System Protection to see if this is the same issue as reported by Adobe with other anti-virus vendors. With F-prot File System Protection disabled Adobe Reader X doesn't display the reported odd behaviour - this means that F-prot has the same issue as Adobe reports that other anti-virus programs are experiencing.

I contacted Frisk Software (F-Prot) and they have attempted to contact Adobe, as the Knowledgebase article says that "Adobe is working with anti-virus companies to resolve these problems".  However, Frisk has not received a reply from Adobe.

Here is the thread on the F-prot forums: https://forum.f-prot.com/index.php/topic,2419.0.html

Have you a means to expedite this contact between Frisk Software and the people at Adobe who are working with anti-virus companies? You can either contact Frisk directly, or I can relay the information to Frisk from you. (I can also supply you with an email address to the staff)

FRISK Software International
    Thverholti 18
    IS-105 Reykjavik
    ICELAND
    Telephone: +354-540-7400

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to Ankit_Jain

Ankit_Jain  asked:"...are you facing this issue with this update onwards only or were you facing this with the earlier release"...?

This issue came with either version 10.1 or 10.1.2.

I have been unable to find a comprehensive version history for the Adobe Reader X but from http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html and http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/901/cpsid_90161.html I have been able to piece together that Protected Mode was introduced with Version 10.0  and Protected View was introduced with 10.1. Many bug fixes for the Protected Mode issue (see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html) were introduced with 10.1. and 10.1.2.

To ABC123XYZ242526: Disabling the checkbox next to Enable Protected Mode sandbox does help but it is a very bad idea as this is an important security measure.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to cbncat

This issue is caused by 3D rendering. Just go to 3D & Multimedia under Preferences and uncheck "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 10:18 PM   in reply to khwajakhurram

setting.jpg

1) khwajakhurram I have tried your suggestion to uncheck the default "Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards" setting and it seems to work!

What is surprising is that Adobe Reader X's 3D & Multimedia settings report that the alternative preferred renderer modes are either software or DirectX9 .....on a Vista machine with DirectX11.

The video card on this machine is definitely not legacy but a recent quality Nvidia produced card. That is also the case on the other machines with the issue I have reported.

2) http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86063.html mentions that "certain configurations of anti-virus software that have not yet white-listed AcroRd32.exe" are "Unsupported configurations for Reader running in Protected Mode". Therefore I have also excluded AcroRd32.exe from virus scanning.

I am now able to use both Protected Mode and Advanced Security without issue.

I will experiment with various versions of this in the next few days and see whether both or just one of these remedies are needed.

Update: I have found that performance is vastly improved by changing from the default preferred renderer mode of DirectX9 to the alternative Software setting. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 1:58 PM   in reply to Ankit_Jain

I also have similar problem

while open ReaderX, mouse pointed to software, toolbar immediately disappeared and then pop out screen it has to be closed. Program is shut down then.

Acrobat Reader X

Av: NIS 2012

OTher software installed: MS office 2010 home and business version

NIce to hear from you, thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to copenhagenmail

cophagenmail, I agree, but waiting 10 to 20 seconds each time I open a pdf is unreasonable and unacceptable. Incidentally, I have not figured our how to get these settings to stay because each time I reboot my system or restart Adobe, the settings get restored and I must reset them. Do you know how to make the settings stick?

I still have this problem despite all of the comments made here and my own efforts to fix it. Adobe needs to address this issue or I must uninstall the X version and use a version that works such as version 9 or none. I cannot afford the time loss.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to ABC123XYZ242526

Adobe,

I have removed Adobe version 10.1.2 and installed version 9.5. The problem described above is not easily fixed by users and needs to be resolved by Adobe developers. The product does not function properly and it is unacceptable for use by the general public - the product should be pulled from general release until it is fixed.

Unless you have time to tinker (which I do not), I suggest removing version 10.1.2 from your Windows 7 or Vista computer until Adobe can resolve this problem, which has been a known unresolved issue for a very long time.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 6:40 AM   in reply to cbncat

I have the exact same problem as the original post.  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.  I have removed version 10.1.2 and put version 9.5 back on and that has sorted the problem.

Not ideal but I too don't have time to mess about with it.

One thing to add, don't know if its relevant but I have reader installed on a Sold State drive. (as before It was on a normal sata2 platter drive working without issue)

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to cbncat

Here is what I found: go to

Documents and Settings\<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0

In my case this folder was empty and that caused exactly the described problem. I just copied the contents from another user's folder:

\Cache

AdobeCMapFnt10.lst

AdobeSysFnt10.lst

SharedDataEvents

UserCache.bin

That fixed the prob.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:03 PM   in reply to copenhagenmail

Clearing the Enable hardware rendering for legacy video cards did NOT resolve the problem.  It's a race against time.  Start Adobe Reader X and everything works fine for about 5 seconds,  then it hangs.

I am NOT happy about this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to AnHoBe

I spent hours trying to fix this problem for a user.  AnHoBe's post finally fixed it.  I don't know why though. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:42 AM   in reply to i_t_spec

I am away April 27 through April 30, back May 1.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to mbamst

I was having a similar problem with Acrobat.  When first opening just about any pdf, the program hangs for 10 to 20 seconds.  I have disabled support for hardware rendering for legacy video cards and changed the preferred Rendered to software.  We'll see whether that fixes it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Gravo123

I am also using SSD drive for OS and Programs.  Data is on hard drive.

Removing support for legacy video hardware did not fix it.

AnHoBe suggestion did not seem applicable--<user>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Acrobat\10.0 was not empty.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Another Photographer

Go to the Acrobat Plug_ins folder and remove all the .api files (cut and paste them elsewhere). One of these preload api's is causing the hangup.

You can put the api files back one at a time if you want to identify the culprit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\plug_ins

Path could be different on your PC depending on OS and Acrobat version

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Another Photographer

Go to the Acrobat Plug_ins folder and remove all the .api files (cut and paste them elsewhere). One of these preload api's is causing the hangup.

You can put the api files back one at a time if you want to identify the culprit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat\plug_ins

Path could be different on your PC depending on OS and Acrobat version

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to khwajakhurram

There are 34 API's in that folder.  It literally could be ANY of them?

Note that I do not have a problem opening Acrobat.  It's only opening a file that causes a hang-up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Another Photographer

Not sure which exact one's it would be in your case, but try removing the following

Acroform.api

Updater.api

Annots.api

DigSig.api

Escript.api

PKKLite.api

If everything starts working, you can put these back one by one to find the one which causes adobe to hang

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to khwajakhurram

Also, to check if the hang-up is being caused by one of these (there could be other issues), you can start adobe in safe mode (acrobat /safe) from the run prompt and then open any acrobat file from within acrobat. There will be no hang-up if one of the api's is the culprit

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2012 2:41 AM   in reply to ABC123XYZ242526

I am running Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4 under Windows 7 x64, and experiencing exactly the same problems as described in this thread.

I have worked through the various fixes until here - and this is the one that appears to have fixed it in my case.   We'll see........

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't look like Adobe has sorted it yet.

Richard

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 9:00 AM   in reply to richard-hankins

I am running Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4 under Windows 7 x64, and experiencing exactly the same problems as described in this thread.

I found that removing the verisign server under Edit/Protection/Security Settings/Directory Servers cleared this up.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 26, 2012 11:28 AM   in reply to BenUrsa

Running windows 7 x64 with Reader X 10.1.4 and experience the "not responding" situation described here:

- open a pdf file, it works for a few seconds (ie you can page down)

- then reader hangs for 10-20 seconds, windows says app is not responding

- then reader comes back

Notes: this seem to happen once per PDF file, ie repeated opening doesn't trigger this. The "not responding" is not happening all the time (or maybe not for each PDF).

All the suggestions here didn't work for me, happens with Software as renderer and with protected mode disabled or enabled.

====> I'd really appreciate help from Adobe to look into this and fix the issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 10, 2012 7:07 PM   in reply to Another Photographer

I've had a similar problem with Acrobat 10 hanging on opening a file.  As the file opens, I see "(Not Responding)" in the title bar.  After about 15 seconds, I'm able to get a response again.  Under Edit>Preferences>General, I unchecked the box "Show me messages when I launch Acrobat".  This seems to have reduced or eliminated the delay for most files.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 25, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to cbncat

Same issue here. Latest version of Adobe Reader, latest windows updates (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit). Adobe reader says "Not repsonding" for about 10-15 seconds every time I open a document. Reinstalling it doesn't change the situation.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 27, 2012 12:26 PM   in reply to Spennis

OK, I've just spent the last two hours messing around with this.  First, I had two distinct problems...

Problem 1:  if I double-click on any PDF file, PDF Reader hangs for 10-20 seconds without opening.  After the delay, PDF Reader opens and I can see the document.

Problem 1 Resolution:  Uncheck the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" checkbox as previously described in this thread.  With this box unchecked, Adobe will open quickly every time. 

Problem 2:  if I double-click on any PDF file (on my hard drive, in an email, etc.), Adobe Reader opens the document and is responsive for about 5 seconds.  It then goes unresponsive ("Not Responding") for between 10 and 20 seconds.  If I wait, it does come back and works normally until I close and re-open it.  When I re-open by double-clicking on any PDF file, I again get the 5 seconds responsive, 10 to 20 seconds unresponsive pattern.

What I Tried:  I tried every single suggestion in this discussion up to this post.  None of them solved this problem.

Problem 2 Resolution?: Most of the time, I have my computer linked to my company's server via a VPN.  I have found that if my computer is connected to the VPN and has all of the network drives mapped, then I do not experience Problem 2 - everything works fine.  If my computer is not connected to the VPN and does not have the network drives mapped, then I experience Problem 2 almost every time I open a PDF file.  For some reason, Adobe Reader is looking for network drives a few seconds after it starts - if they are not mapped, then it hangs for 10 to 20 seconds.

Adobe, please consider why Reader is doing this.

Adobe:  Version X (several versions), Version XI (11.0.0)

Hope this helps someone...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points