Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
Currently Being Moderated

'The file could not be created' - ACR v6.6

Jan 14, 2012 9:00 AM

I see this problem has been around for literally years. This is for raw files from both Canon 5D mkII, and Nikon D300 cameras, and only when I select to save in a new location.

What is the fix?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Still unclear (at least to me) what operation you're describing.  Are you talking about the initial opening of a raw file from Bridge into Camera Raw, or are you referring to a "Save As" operation from within ACR?

In any event it souds like a Windows permission issue, i.e. whatever directory is the target does not have sufficent permissions for the operation.  If you can determine the target directory go to it and add Everyone with full permissions (and let it percolate downward to all sub-directories and files).

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Ok, I assume you're doing a "Save As" out of ACR to some other format (jpg, dng, etc.).  Running Windows 7 64 bit, I brought in a raw file to ACR 6.7 and saved it out successfully as a jpg to the Desktop folder.  I then tried to save it to the System32 folder, and received a write permissions error msg.

I suspect Windows 7 is a little more graceful about this problem than Vista, in that it gives a more useful msg.  But it is the same problem, when you trying to save to some other location you have to make sure the permissions at the new location are such that they allow write access.  I suggest you check the security tab on the destination location and verify it includes suitable permissions.  If you don't understand this process then I suggest you get help from somebody who does understand Windows permission issues.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Typo, I am using ACR 6.6.  My error msg was also generated by ACR (see attached).  And I expected the error for the System32 folder.  However if you are logged in as a user with normal privileges I would not expect an error when writing to your own desktop, but I am not well versed in Vista.

Richard Southworth

ErrMsg.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 11:38 PM   in reply to dad2seven

I still don't know what it is you're doing to get the error. Is there any chance you can walk us through your problem, step and step, and provide a screengrab?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to dad2seven

I believe Yammer P meant a screengrab of the error msg, at least that is what I would like to see.  We understand which operation you're using, need to home in on the results.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to dad2seven

I'm beginning to think it may be something other than a permissions problem, given the difference between our two error msgs.  How about disk space, are you writing to the same hard drive as the raw file or different?  Also how much memory does the system contain and how much is allocated to Photoshop?

Time to experiment, create a sub-directory in the same location as your raw file and see if you can save to it.  Then create a sub-directory under the same directory as your raw file sub-directory and try.  In other words, work on narrowing down if/where the problem occurs.  Also check ACR preferences, clear its cache and perhaps add more disk space to the cache.

I believe you stated you could always save the file if you didn't change location, have you always checked to see if you could continue to do so after a failure to a new location?

Don't fall into the trap  believing that it's an ACR bug, obviously ACR works ok for most of us, more likely to be some sort of combination problem between your system and ACR/Bridge/Photoshop.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to dad2seven

I have 20gb allocated to the ACR cache, on a separate drive.  Probably excessive, but have not run into any problems doing such.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to dad2seven

This is an absolute shot in the dark kind of speculation, but my gut feeling is that the newer version is not liking the path it's getting from OS.

Try eliminating that apparent space you have in the path name between DARK and -Finalist:  Also check for a space between Finished and 7th.

illegalspace.jpg

Again, this is just a wild, uneducated guess.  I'm primarily a Mac user.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 7:59 PM   in reply to dad2seven

I've manged to replicate your error message on 64 bit vista using acr 6.6 from bridge cs5.

When you choose a new location for the save, in the dialog that appears where you actually navigate to the folder, do you just click on the folder and press Select or do you double click

on the folder to open and then press Select?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 1:05 AM   in reply to dad2seven

I can't replicate the problem on my Win7-64 system. Images save to the desktop fine.

Judging by the sound of it, you have a problem with the path selection. There's possibly a problem with Windows performance causing the failure, which could be due to a number of things. I don't know how experienced you are with Windows troubleshooting, but it might be worth tackling your system from basics, and looking at things like networking and external drives, drivers, anti-virus and interference from non-essential background services, although why this should affect V6 and not V5 I have no idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to dad2seven

On vista if you select the folder in the area of the explorer window that shows the icons (thumbnails) instead of the Explorer bar does that work?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to dad2seven

You need only replace copies of Camera Raw.8bi. Everything else should be fine. Unfortuately, the 8bi file is renamed in the update package. If you search the forum you should find instructions for rollback to 6.5. This seems to be happening a lot this time, though I can't remember seeing an official acknowledgement that 6.6 is in any way broken.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to dad2seven

Until someone comes along with a better solution you might try camera raw 6.2, which is the last version that uses the old syle dialog for picking the location, like camera raw 5.7 uses on vista.

Untitled-10.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Vista x64bit / 8Gb RAM.

Glad to have found this thread. I too am having the dreaded problem - again! This time, after updating to 6..6, the problem took a few days to begin. In the past, it has started immediately after the update.

As the original poster wrote, this problem has been around for years. But, to the best of my knowledge, it has only ever occurred with Vista x64 and not with any other Windows OS.

It is a great pity that Adobe haven't addressed this once and for all since, in my opinion, ACR wins hands down over LR if you are looking for a pure processor of RAW files.

Lightroom is, at best, prosumer as a RAW processing tool. And, with ACR fast becoming the less favoured child, is it any wonder so many pros are switching to, for example, Capture One? If LR was exactly the same as ACR in terms of its editing features, I'd love it. But, it isn't.

1. No Colour Sampler Tool. I shoot a lot of interiors and a lot of fine art. I use the CST on Gretag Colour Charts that appear in my images. I also use it in conjunction with the Graduated Filter on interiors to balance light levels. Fantastic!

2. Melissa RGB - process your files in one "space" and then save them to another? Gimme a break! As for % readouts. Yes, you can go off and find the RGB/0-255 equivalents, but should you have to? This is nothing but change for change sake. At least allow the user to switch between % and 0-255. That would be fanstatic! But, Melissa RGB HAS to go. Readouts in Adobe 98 - the conversion space, please.

Even a simple thing like the White Balance Tool performs stupidly in LR. Use it and it deactivates immediately. You have to re-select it for every white balance selection. In ACR, as it should, the tool remains active until you select another tool.

Looked on purely as a RAW processing tool, Lightroom, in my opinion, "barks and wears a lead" as we say around here. ACR is the Real McCoy. Yes, LR has an end to end workflow that Bridge/ACR does not have. But, that's not my point. The most important bit is the processing engine, and ACR is better.

Rant over........

Apologies for using the thread as a platform for a rant, but I seriously feel that ACR is getting a raw deal (pun intended!) and Adobe are playing with fire.

The failure to deal with "The file could not be created" problem over a period of "years" typifies this.

A little less pro-sumer and a bit more pro, please.

D.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 9, 2012 12:08 PM   in reply to dad2seven

Something VERY BASIC to try for those Windows users experiencing this problem, and find it reproducible:

Try running your software As Administrator.  If that clears the problem then it's a permissions issue.  It might not be directly related to the folder you're saving in, but something, somewhere isn't granting you in your non-privileged UAC persona the permissions to do what you want.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to dad2seven

An experiment - find in Windows Explorer the Photoshop.exe file that corresponds to your version.  Right click on the file and choose "Run as Administrator", click on Yes in the User Account Control dialog.  Within Photoshop, select a raw file and open.  Now see if you can save to any location directly from ACR.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,510 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 19, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to dad2seven

Dad2seven, I feel you have permissions problems on your system.  It works just fine for others - e.g., I am able to do just the same things you're showing on Windows 7 x64, no problem:

SavingFiles.jpg

SaveFiles.jpg

Even if running As Administrator doesn't fix it on your system, improperly set up permissios could be causing your application not to be able to write into the folder(s) you are attempting to use on your hard drive.

It might be that you have to take ownership of the folders you'd like to use, then grant yourself Full Control permissions.  Was the disk initially formatted on another system, or under a different installation of the operating system you're running?

Try creating a new folder, e.g., C:\TEMP, then right-clicking TEMP and granting your username Full Control permissions. Then attempt to save photos into that folder.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to dad2seven

dad2seven wrote:

The drive the photos are stored on, and to which I am attempting to save them - are extneral  drives which have permissions set to full control for everyone - from the root of the drive to as deeply nested a folder you can possibly imagine. I am the only "user" of both machines, and I have administrator privledges.

Just how deeply? You do realize that there is a hard character limit in the whole path length when it comes to saving out files. I can't recall exactly what that is, I'm not a Windows user. But there are similar problems when doing a Batch precess from Photoshop and doing droplets (saved batch operations). The fact that you call out the fact that you have such a deeply nested hierarchy may be a clue. And yes, older software may not hit that problem while more recent may be respecting the limit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to dad2seven

Sorry to repeat an experiment, had forgotten previous efforts.

As you can tell we're all pretty much out of bullets.  I would suggest one more experiment - create a new folder anywhere, desktop is as good as anyplace else.  Right click on it, choose properties, and then security.  Add a user, Everyone, and give it full control.  Shouldn't make any difference, but you can also delete all of the other users, although you'll have to unlink the parenting.

Now give it a try for Save in ACR.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to dad2seven

I've "solved" similar problems by adding the Everyone user with full control, not sure why you should have to.  You might prowl around in the group policies, see if one is set that could apply.  Run gpedit.msc from the Run line, look primarily at User Configuration > Administrative Templates.  Somewhere your system acquired a rogue setting, or perhaps it's a bug in Vista, there aren't too many users running Vista anymore, particularly with newer software.

Richard Southworth

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points