• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

10.1.2 Displays grey, blank page (Fixed with 10.1.3)

Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe 10.1.2 I have the blank grey screen

show large images however is already checked...

what else could cause this?/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

The 10.1.3 update to Acrobat X and Reader addresses this issue. You can install it automatically from within Acrobat X or Reader.

1. Open Acrobat or Reader.
  2. Choose Help > Check For Updates.

Acrobat or Reader installs the update automatically

If you prefer, you can download and install the update yourself. Click the appropriate link below and locate the 10.1.3 update.

Reader updates (for Windows)

Reader updates (for Macintosh)

Acrobat updates (for Windows)

Acrobat updates (for Macintosh)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly are you generating the PDF, cause Adobe Reader does not offer the capability to create PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is generated by a website which work(s/ed) on Adobe 10.1.1 with no issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information.

Could you provide me with the following information as well:

1. The site which was used to generate the PDF. It would help me to see if get a sample PDF from the site.

2. If you cannot provide me with the above, could you please provide me with a sample PDF (you will have to attach it elsewhere since you cant post it on the forum)

3. Would you happen to know which tool is being used by the site to generate the PDF?

Thanks

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ankit

not really in a position to provide. As I say it worked correctly on 10.1.1 and if I roll back still works so I know it is not host code issue.

What has changed in .2 that could cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p4ddy15 wrote:

Hi Ankit

not really in a position to provide. As I say it worked correctly on 10.1.1 and if I roll back still works so I know it is not host code issue.

What has changed in .2 that could cause this?

We have the same problem here.  PDFs that opened in 10.1.1 yesterday don't now open in 10.1.2 after an update from Adobe Reader last night.  

We have two PCs here one on 10.1.2  (running Windows 7) and another on 10.1.1 Running Windows XP Pro SP3).  I can access the PDF on the 10.1.1 machine (this is from an internal web based application from one of the mega drug companies) and attach it to an email to send to the 10.1.2 PC where it can be read.    However we can't open this PDF on the web based application on the 10.1.2 PC.    Thus there looks to be some problem with the 10.1.2 download.  

Can we get back to 10.1.1 ( I can't see this older version being offered on the Adobe site - only 10.1.2 or 9.5)?

Can I "export" the Adobe reader 10.1.1 application from one PC and then put it the 10.1.2 PC?

When can we expect a fix for this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a separate question before finding this one. Every time I have had this I have been on a secured web site trying to access a document that I need. It is only when using IE9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue with 10.1.2 while opening up the pdfs in browser (Specially IE version and working fine in Firefox, Chrome).

The same pdfs working fine on 10.1.1 reader.

We are using object tag inside jsp to embed the pdf contents and ClassId used inside object tag is

"CLSID:CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000". The same code worked fine in IE, Adobe 10.1.1 combination.

For Adobe 10.1.2 and IE it's displaying the grey screen. Is the classid used is not compatable with the new version of Adobe?

New Edit --->

I have got the same problem as Joe mentioned. When i added "Content-Length" header it worked fine for me in my local.

It's not working when the same code promoted to other environments.

Something really screwed up with latest version of Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been told by a company that this is a "failed upgrade" from Adobe and the issue is that the upgrade has compatbility issues with many browsers including Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We also have the same issues with 10.1.2 when opening PDF's in the IE browser and the problem does not exist when I roll back to 10.1.1 or 10.1.0.

We use an inhouse application to open the PDF's in the browser. I now have to turn updates off on everyone's PC until a new version comes out that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to share any sample PDF. It would help in isolating the issue.

Please upload it at any 3rd party site such as yousendit.com or likewise.

Also, please let me know if the issue reproducible for any and all PDFs or only a specific set of PDFs which are generated via some tool?

Ankit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankit

The PDFs we are trying to open using Acrobat Reader 10.1.2 (under Windows 7)

are in a secure website: however I can open these PDFs in 10.1.1 (XPro SP3)

and I attach three of them, for your debugging purposes.

The attached PDFs on the secure website opened in 10.1.1 but don't open in

10.1.2 (all under Windows 7). Under 10.1.2 (Windows 7) we can open other

PDFs on other public websites.

Hope this helps you to sort the problem out.

Is it possible to download (get hold of) Acrobat Reader 10.1.1 for Windows

7? Otherwise we will have to revert to 9.5 (which is available to

download on your website) and see it this still works.

Paul Dunk FCA

Scidata Limited,

Business address: Little Maldron Mill, Torphins, Banchory, Aberdeenshire

AB31 4NE.

Tel: 013398 82168: Mob: 07785 532810.

Registered office address: Flat 1, Towerside, 144 Wapping High Street,

London E1W 3PD.

Company Registered No: 2544327 VAT Registered No: 548 0329 42

Directors: L P Dunk BSc (Hons): P N H Dunk FCA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 14, 2012 Jan 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PaulDunk wrote:

Is it possible to download  (get hold of) Acrobat Reader 10.1.1 for Windows

7?     Otherwise we will have to revert to 9.5 (which is available to

download on your website) and see it this still works.

You can download any released version of Adobe Reader by navigating the FTP site

at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/

The English version 10.1.1 for Windows would then be found

at ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.1/en_US/AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe

or http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.1/en_US/AdbeRdr1011_en_US.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pat.  I have uninstalled 10.1.2 and downloaded 10.1.1 from your first link, and everything now works as it should. I have also disabled auto updating too.   I guess we will have to wait for a 10.1.3 update to sort out the 10.1.2 problems at some time in the future.   Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back to 10.1.1 according the suggestions above. On secure web sites (Fidelity and Chase) still having a problem but screen is white and not grey. However this is on IE. If I use Firefox it is ok. Even though 10.1.2 was uninstalled could anything been retained that still causes the problem? This did not occur before I had updated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure after uninstalling 10.1.2 that you delete the Adobe Reader directory from C:\program files before you reinstall 10.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a story of how I got this working... kind of a mystery still, but that's what we have to deal with all the time, isn't it?

I had the same problem, installing 10.1.2 caused a blank screen, or a stuck progress bar, when loading PDFs in IE9. The PDFs in question are dynamically generated with IText, embedded in html via a <object> tag, and served up via Jboss (Tomcat) 5.1.0.  There were no issues in Firefox.  We also had several users report similar issues with IE8.

What seemed to fix it (at least on my local environment) for me was to, add a Content-Length header with the file size, remove the compressableMimeType="application/pdf" in the server configuration.

However, on a different environment, it still wasn't working (grey screen, stuck progress bar in IE), so I set a debug point.  The download method was being called 3 times - I had several Cache-Control headers set in an attempt to prevent caching.  Removing these headers seemed to help, now the download method is being called only once, or sometimes twice.  I found a MS article I found that seemed relevant: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293792

Possibly the multiple-request, user-agent='contype' thing with IE is really screwing up the new version of the plug-in.  I read the MS article, added a check for user-agent='contype' and returning only the Content-Type header instead of the whole document -- seemed to improve things.

However several PDF form elements were still screwed up - missing submit button, combo box fields with missing options.

Latest update:  This combo of configurations seems to be working on both firefox and IE9 with reader 10.1.12:

1. removed content-length, it was causing other problems

2. added check for user-agent='contype' and returning only headers

3. removed cach-control headers

4. compressableMimeType = 'application/pdf' is enabled in Tomcat config

My hunch is #2 was the real problem, would need further testing to know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk about an update really messing up the enterprise. We had our systems doing auto-updates for Acrobat. Imagine every employee coming into the office on Monday not able to pull up their paystubs from the ADP website? I guess the fix is to roll back and wait (and no autoupdates....) Lesson Learned!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that the personal preferences have not been set.  I have seen this before on earlier versions of AR X.

Open Adobe Reader and answer the dialogue boxes. Then open a local file and answer the reader preferences.  Once those are answered then goto a website and try to open PDF file.

If those preferences are not answered, AR does not know how you want them to open.  In the web envirionment AR is unable to prompt the dialogue box to ask, so you end with the gray screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which preference are you talking about?

I use Acrobat outside of the browser all the time. I'm not asked anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is a problem with 10.1.2.

When trying to view an embedded PDF statement on the Citibank Australia website I just get a grey box where PDF should be.

Solution please Adobe. When will you properly test your updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

After about four hours of debugging this issue, I have found that, at least for me, the regression issue seems to be with Adobe Reader handling a gzipped PDF embedded in the IE browser, specifically. I can't speak to why this would occur, but hopefully this will help others out. On our site, we had gzipping only disabled (as most probably do) for images (gif, jpg, jpeg, png), meaning PDFs were being gzipped. This, prior to 10.1.2, worked just fine. I changed our web server configs so that PDFs are no longer gzipped and I can now view the PDFs in IE with Reader 10.1.2 the same as before.

If you're using Apache, look for a line that looks something like this in your httpd.conf:

\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

And change to:

\.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|pdf)$ no-gzip dont-vary

That all being said, this still sounds like a bug in Reader 10.1.2, and gzipped PDFs via IE should be supported. I'm sending a separate report to Adobe so hopefully that specific information will help them debug / fix. Until a patch has been released, however, this will make sure our customers can view PDFs. Hope this helps someone else out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When gzip compression enabled my httpserver removing the 'Content-Length' header and it's showing the grey page.

When gzip compression disabled it's sending the 'Content-Length' header back and i am able to view the pdf properly.

Adobe reader 10.1.2 require this header inorder to show the pdf properly (not required in adobe reader 10.1.1)

and not sure why they made this change which is breaking on IE now.

Can someone from Adobe please respond to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back to 10.1.1 (Win 7 32 bit machine) and the problem went away.

Used the Upgrade Wizard to configure a 10.1.1 install, selected to not do ANY updates. Couldn't remove previous versions of reader because it was greyed out.

Deployed that package through group policy.

(1) Only deploys if 10.1.2 isn't installed. Will not remove it.

(2) Installs fine on a machine that has no adobe reader installed.

Unfortunately, I came in this morning to find that Adobe had updated my 10.1.1 with 10.1.2 despite specifically turning off updates in the Config wizard. At this point I just have to laugh.

If I had any control over the webserver then I would be able to make some of the suggested changes above. However, I do not. I am surprised Adobe hasn't publicly commented on this. Are there that few people looking at embedded PDFs on a secured site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2012 Jan 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the full Acrobat after upgrading to CS5.5 and the 10.1.2 update has wrecked our ability to display PDFs in popup windows over HTTPS connections.

We do not have a separate install of Reader 10.1.2 and can't remove anything obvious, apart from the full Acrobat, which we've paid for and need.

Trying to install Reader 9.4 in the past, as this is not the first time we've seen isues like this, has given us a workaround. This does not work now. Using the FTP download area mentioned above to download and install the full 10.1.1 installer changes nothing - the IE plugins are still al 10.1.2. I.e. it appears that 10.1.2 can't be rolled back without a full removal of Acrobat Pro X (which we haven't tried yet as there are licenses assigned and we've got better things to do than mess about with that on top of all this, if it can be avoided at least).

Does anyone know a way of disentangling the Reader component of Acrobat, as distinct from simple independent installs of Reader alone, please? The Reader files appear to be in the Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX directory, but you can't simply delete them or rename the folder as it's all in use. I could do a Safe Mode etc boot, but I really shouldn't be having to do any of this. Installing earlier versions of Reader and then removing them makes no difference to anything.

Any suggestions, especially from Adobe, will be much appreciated.

As was said above, when will Adobe test their software properly?????

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines