Skip navigation
mwood37
Currently Being Moderated

Lights out white border.

Jan 15, 2012 10:02 AM

Hello I use the lights out function a lot when cropping images and I find the white border applied when in total black a huge help. I noticed it wasn’t there in this version and wanted to know if it was a preference setting or it was just removed. I have changed the lights out color to white which is nice but I would love to have that thin white border back for black backgrounds.

Replies
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to mwood37

I'm told the change is as designed.  Is it going to cause you a big problem?  You might have to fight for it if you want it back, as I'm guessing it was removed thanks to a weird bug that left white rectangles on people's screens.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 15, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to mwood37

I have the exact same issue and mentioned it another thread here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4129130#4129130

For me it is a huge loss. It helps for a number of reasons. Firstly, I like to snap in and out of Lights Out mode during editing to visualise the finished image without distraction. I also like to crop in lights out mode. While attempting to crop it is now much harder to locate the edge of the image under some circumstances. Additionally, it is very hard to discern where the image ends and the background lights out effect begins in images that have dark edges. It's 100% clear to me that this should be an option rather than a feature that is stripped out entirely.

As far as bugs go, I use lights out mode at least once per image during an edit. Often many times. Having used LR since release 1 I have never experienced an artifact left over by the lights out border. I'd very much like it back!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 12:54 AM   in reply to mwood37

I find the white border very distracting... It's nice to have it gone.

Maybe a preference switch could be the better solution: activate it for the users who want and not for the others.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 3:52 AM   in reply to mwood37

Yep, I'd definately say that an option switch would be the way to go with this. I think there are too many logical arguments supporting the border as a benefit for it to be removed completely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 4:36 AM   in reply to mwood37

Yes Please Can we have this back I also use in the same manner as above

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to mwood37

I shoot a great deal using a black background. The white border is absolutely essential when displaying images to customers in lights out mode at an event. Where does the image end and the background begin????? VERY SERIOUS OMISSION.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to mwood37

I have been viewing several images in both LR3 & LR4 in the Black, White & the Gray Lights out backgrounds & have the following suggestion.  Make a White outline, as in LR3, toggable. But also make a Black outline, toggable, available for the White background. You can see this effect in the Print module. If available there why not in Lights out? If you feel that using the stroke in the print module will make your image better, why not make it available in Lights Out for preview.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to mwood37

Just upgraded to LR4 and I'm really happy to see the border is finally gone and I can now see the image without any distraction!

I've been using LR since 1.0 and now I can finally use the lights out feature...

However someones gain is someones loss and the border could be optional as suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Henri_mel

I've just upgraded also and on the flipside am gutted to find the border gone for good. I do most of my cropping in lights out mode and finding the edge of the frame can be tricky when the edge of the frame is a similar dark colour like the lights out background. Very annoying from my POV. Please implement it as a toggleable choice in Preferences>Interface!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points