Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting AVI to FLV or F4V

Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Captivate 5.

I have an AVI file that has video and audio.

When I tried to insert it into my Captivate presentation, a message appeared that it needed to be converted using Adobe Media Encoder. I went ahead and let the encoder do the conversion. It worked fine, except that the audio has completely vanished. I have Audio turned on in Preferences.

I hope that someone knows about conversions and can help with this problem.

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 12, 2012 Jan 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while - did you ever get this issue resolved?

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 13, 2012 Jan 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric,

The issue has not been resolved. Since no one has made any suggestions, perhaps it can't be accomplished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on the source of the AVI the sound can be encoded (with a codec such as AC3, Vorbis OGG, etc). Try to convert it to MPEG and then back to FLV.

Oh and by the way, remember to generate an FLV that runs at 30fps if you are going to embed it into Captivate or the sound and video will be desynchronized!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TheFlasher,

Thanks for your reply.The AVI was obtained by capturing video information that was being displayed on my computer monitor, using RiverPast screen recorder. RiverPast Screen Recorder captured both the audio and the video, but RiverPast only saves as AVI. The next step was that I opened the AVI in Photoshop, and saved it as FLV from Photoshop. This maintained the video, but lost the audio.

Would you mind giving more detail about how I would implement your suggestion -- Like specific software I would need to do the conversions of the audio and video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a minute, you used Photoshop to save it as an FLV? That might be the reason the conversion wasn't made properly.

• Open Adobe Media Encoder and press the button Add...
  • Browse your computer for the AVI file and click Open
  • Now click the Settings... button
  • In Format, make sure FLV | F4V is selected
  • Make sure Export Video and Export Audio are checked.
  • Click on the Format tab and check FLV
  • Click on the Video tab and make sure the Frame Rate is set to 30fps
  • Click OK and then Start Queue

That should do the trick, can you try this and tell me if that worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheFlasher,

It would be wonderful if the Adobe Media Encoder would work. When I tried it, got the following message, and I didn't see a Settings button:

Untitled-1.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you update your Media Encoder to the latest versiion?

I guess the wisest choice is to open a support ticket with Adobe, but you can still try to use a freeware program to try to do the convert. I'm not sure I can recommend any of those in this forum, so just type "avi to flv freeware" in google and you will have some pages where you can download third party programs that could potentially do the job.

Next time you can try to use Captivate's screen recording capabilities, you will save a lot of headaches!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the newest version of Media Encoder, version 5.0.1.0.

Good suggestion to use Captivate's screen recording capabilities, and I can still do that. However, although Captivate captures video on my monitor, it does not capture the audio for some reason. What do I need in order for Captivate to record sound from my monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources