Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Duplicating layers

Jan 16, 2012 11:55 AM

I am trying to duplicate a layer to another open document.

The problem is that it is not visible at all at the new document once the duplication procedure is complete.

Although the layers panel depicts the duplicated layer plus the usual backg. layer, in the document/canvas itself i do not see the layer which

by the way is an icon.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 16, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

What version of Photoshop?

What OS?

And have you tried disabling OpenGL drawing or updating your video card driver?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 17, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Hello, are both documents of the same pixel size? That might explain why everything is not visible.

Or does the background and blending mode chosen for the layer make it invisible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

are you draging the layers to the new doc canvas or how exactly...

G

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Layer > New > Layer (command-J/ctrl-J) via Copy does not work?

And alt-dragging the Vector Mask onto another Layer should duplicate it, too.

Edit: Sorry, had forgotten that the target was about another document.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

drag the layer to another open doc..

G

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

I suppose the Vector Masks might simply be out of canvas – does selecting All and then aligning vertical centers and horizontal centers do anything?

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Jan 17, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

Yes, please state if the documents have the same size... and do check if the blending modes do not make the layers transparent.
    I guess that the group has its visibility icon on, otherwize the layers' visibility icon would be grayed out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to JimVag1947

I'm having the same problem.  I have a layer containing a photographic image, with a vector mask on it.  This is all the file contains.  It looks fine in its own file.

If I right-click on the layer and say Duplicate and pick another open file of the exact same size, the layer shows up at the top of the other document's layer list with mask intact, but its contents are invisible.  Its opacity is 100%, blend mode normal.  If I turn off the visibility of all other layers, the document is simply empty.

I also tried duplicating the layer to a new file.  Same result: nothing visible in the new file.

I just noticed that if I toggle the duplicated layer's visibility while it's selected, a fine grey outline of the mask will appear overlaid on the image.  The outline does not appear if I toggle the visibility of the duplicated layer when another layer is selected.  It also doesn't appear if I simply select the duplicated layer while it's visible.  I have to select it first, then toggle its visibility.  Definitely a bug, and a pretty big one.  I just spent considerable time making a vector mask, and it's useless.

This is Photoshop 13.0.1 x64 under Mac OS 10.8.3.

Update:  If I tile the open files so I can drag and drop, the dragged layer does show up but its position varies based on where I release the mouse button when I drop it.  Unbelievable.  Again, this is between files of the exact same size.  What you're dragging isn't even an image; it's an icon representing the layer.  So it's not as if you can visually align anything during the drag!  And you can't drag the layer to the title bar (tab) of the other image to drop it "centered" either; the tab isn't a valid drop zone.  So how are we supposed to drop the layer in its "natural" position?

More info: Vector masks are unusable entirely because of massive rendering problems.  Even if I add one to a layer in the file directly, eventually the masked image will be corrupted and blocks of it will disappear.  The bizarre thing is that the parts that disappear can't be restored by zooming or other manipulation that forces redraws.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to Mobius Strip

Mobius Strip wrote:

And you can't drag the layer to the title bar (tab) of the other image to drop it "centered" either; the tab isn't a valid drop zone.

If your docs are tiled, dragging via a tab is unnecessary, but I guess you were only doing that to try to discover a "centred" drop method. Anyway, when you do go via a tab because docs are not tiled, drag onto a tab, wait there for about a half-second until that doc is activated... then continue the drag into the document window before releasing the mouse button.

So how are we supposed to drop the layer in its "natural" position?

Hold down Shift key while dropping in the destination.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to conroy

Thanks for the info.

Ugh, what horrible UI.

Turns out that this isn't the only problem, though:  Even if I create a mask in the file itself, eventually it breaks down with huge rendering defects.  This is just not release-worthy software.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points