Skip navigation

An error occurred when attempting to change modules.

Jan 10, 2012 9:30 AM

Latest reply: Julie McLeod, Jan 31, 2012 2:20 PM
Replies 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 13, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

I'll give those last instructions a try but need clarification.  Do I enter those two lines into terminal as is or do I need to change where it says USER to my name?  (sorry, not too terribly swift with this stuff!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 13, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Just as is should work. The shell automatically expands the $USER into your username (it refers to an environment variable named USER).

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to DanTull

Okay, well I tried that but no change.  Being left with a totally non-functional LR4, I wanted to get back to the state I was in before troubleshooting, i.e. being able to work in all but the Book module.  I trashed the beta and its catalog, put back my original Lightroom folder, reinstalled LR4 and let it create a new catalog.  Unfortunately, that didn't help and I can not use any of the modules.   *sad face*

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 14, 2012 8:35 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Did you trash preferences at the same time Julie?  Admittedly a long shot...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Thanks, Victoria.  That did the trick.  Now I am only lacking the ability to get into the Book module. 

I appreciate your help. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to DanTull

Just caught up with this thread. Tried the most recent commands to sort out ownership, but still no access to the Book Module. Thanks to everyone who's trying to sort this out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Hey Julie, if you happen to have that old preferences file, I'd be curious to look at it (along with the fresh, working ones) to see if it gives me more clues as to what is wrong.

If not, no worries. I do still have a couple of traceback clues to follow, but I still haven't quite figured out what conditions would allow the error I saw in your log to occur.

Thanks! -- DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to artemesia66

Now that the permission issue is sorted out, I switched to looking at the traces in your log. I'm going to spend some time today working through this code to figure out what sequence of events could lead to the failure it indicates.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan

I've sent an email with the prefs files attached.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to artemesia66

Quick question. I've been puzzling over a difference in the call pattern shown in your log and what I see when I run it myself.

Sorry if this was already answered already, but what do you have selected in Library when you (try to) enter the book module? I think the source type (smart collection, whether the library filter bar is active, etc) might influence the order of operations in a way that affects whether this bug manifests or not. Just a hunch.

Thanks -- DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to shawn moore

I think the kind of source (folder, collection, smart collection, all photographs, etc) and filter state will make more difference than the photos within that source that are (or are not) selected.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

Was this something you wanted each of us to respond to?  I wasn't sure whether the question was just for artemesia66.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

I think answers from anybody for whom the permission fix was insufficient to correct the problem would be useful, now that you mention it.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to DanTull

Hi Dan,

I tried the various sources and they all produced the error message.  (Smart collection, regular collection, all photos, folder, and with filter bar active)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Darn, I was hoping that was related. I'll have to keep looking and see if I can figure out how to coax the code into executing in the order implied by the error trace.

Thanks for checking! -- DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:25 AM   in reply to shawn moore

Hi, I have the same issue. Just wondering if this was resolved?

I don't have prior versions. I use Apple's Apeture but wanted to give this a try.

I've re-installed the beta a few times already and still get the message.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to mcabili

I managed to figure out and provide a workaround for one case (incorrect permissions on the Lightroom settings directory left behind, we think, by the Nik installer).

There's a lurking case that I haven't been able to figure out as yet.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to DanTull

Dan

I still have the issue also. I have tried the ownership fix to no avail. I am running OS 10.6 on my MAC pro and 10.7 on my Macbook pro. I have never installed Nik software. Would more  log files help you debug this?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to brianfw

It's possible it might add some additional clue that's escaped my attention in the other couple of logs I have of the remaining issue. Minimally, it'll let me confirm that your case is at least the same as the known remaining issue and not some other separate issue.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to DanTull

Dan

Not sure if this is the correct address to send this to. Not even sure which logs you want so here is a copy of all message from console. All I did was start Lightroom 4, attempted to select book module, got the error "An error occurred when attempting to change modules", then tried to select library and got the same error.

Feel free to coach me on how to extract the most useful logs.

Brian

MacBook Pro running 10.7.2

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to brianfw

The logging I've been using to confirm cases of the same bug is emitted to the console when running Lightroom from Terminal.app (in /Applications/Utilities) with the -tracebacks option like this:

/Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ Lightroom\ 4.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Photoshop\ Lightroom\ 4 -tracebacks

That said, so far I haven't figured out what causes the errors that are being thrown. There's some detail I haven't figured out that perturbs the module switching sequence and makes it blow up.

DT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 4:14 AM   in reply to shawn moore

I had the same Problem.

In my case I had to repair the permission of the following folder.

/Users/[your name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

The owner of that folder was incorrect. In my case the owner was a different user, maybee it's a installer Problem.

greetings

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to p.roehl

Hi Dan, Victoria,

I was wondering if I might get a workaround for the same book module problem?  I created a new user account and it runs fine in there.  I tried copying the Lightroom file over to my main account but still doesn't work and I am not sure how to repair the permission as p.roehl has done. 

I would really like to use the book module in my main user account.

Thanks so much,

Kim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 3:51 AM   in reply to kacarts

I am having the same problem. I have tried everything here and everything else I can think of but i a;ways get the same error when I attempt to load the book module.

If I create a clean account it works fine, but attempting to copy the support folder back doesn't work. Changing the permissions doesn't work. I've even deleted the Lightroom folder in the application support folder, re installed the application and it still doesn't work.

I do have the Nik software suite installed, so I'm not sure if that's the issue, but removing the entries from the external editors folder doesn't work either.

Your help would be greatly appreciated as I would really like to try out the book module

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to shawn moore

I think to copy the folder will not help since the "owner" of the Folder would be incorrect.

What I did is the following, requires a little Unix Shell knowledge...

Started a Terminal Session:

Than:

cd Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/

than:

ls -al

result like

drwxrwxrwx    3 peter  502    102 27 Jan 12:02 Fonts

drwxr-xr-x   33 peter  502   1122 27 Jan 13:08 Lightroom

drwxrwxrwx    4 peter  502    136 15 Feb  2006 Linguistics

drwxrwxrwx    3 peter  502    102 20 Mai  2008 LogTransport

Check for Lightroom.

In my case the Owner (3rd colum) was not me (peter)

To change this type:

sudo chown -R peter:502 Lightroom

Replace peter with the correct user, look at the other Folders.

You will be asked for a password since it requires root privileges and it will change the owner of that folder to yourself and will also work thru sub-folder.

to check type again and look for Lightroom:

ls -al

Now the owner of Lightroom should be you...

I hope that helps.

Regards

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to p.roehl

All the subfolders in my Lightroom folder inside the Appleication Support folder are owned by me and have read write privelages for everyone. I even tried removing the flder and letting Lightroom create a new one but to no avail. I've tried trashing the preference and I've tried creating a new catalogue. All to no avail. And yet it works in a clean user?

Here's what comes up in the console when you try to change modules:

28/01/2012 21:34:15.150 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: CFURLCreateWithBytes was passed these invalid URLBytes: '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app/Contents/Frameworks' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateFromFileSystemRepresentation should be used instead.

28/01/2012 21:34:15.204 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: CFURLCreateWithBytes was passed these invalid URLBytes: '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app/Contents/Frameworks' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateFromFileSystemRepresentation should be used instead.

28/01/2012 21:34:15.273 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: CFURLCreateWithBytes was passed these invalid URLBytes: '/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app/Contents/Frameworks' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateFromFileSystemRepresentation should be used instead.

28/01/2012 21:34:18.946 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Performance: Please update this scripting addition to supply a value for ThreadSafe for each event handler: "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/SIMBL.osax"

28/01/2012 21:34:43.622 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Failed to restore first responder (message was inputContext) NOT KEY

28/01/2012 21:34:45.542 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Failed to restore first responder (message was inputContext)

28/01/2012 21:34:46.479 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4: Failed to restore first responder (message was inputContext)

28/01/2012 21:34:47.520 librariand: client connection is invalid: Connection invalid

Not sure if that hellps in the troubleshooting process but anyway!

Thanks

Thomas

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 1:42 PM   in reply to p.roehl

Hi Peter,

Thanks for this...I made an attempt and my name was correct on the lightroom file line...does anything else look odd on this line?  Thanks again

drwxr-xr-x  22 kimberly_charles  staff   748 Jan 22 14:38 Lightroom

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to p.roehl

Hi Peter,

I'm glad you were able to solve the problem but I just thought I'd chime in that in my case the permission on the folder you cited was already correct.  So, that's a no go for me. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Ok, I figured it out

the problem (for me anyway) was a corrupt font. Or at least a font that Lightroom doesn't like.

If you go to your users library folder and look in the fnts folder. Quit Lightroom and Drag everything out to a temporary folder and try LR4. If that works, then you will have to go through a process of elimination by dragging back a couple of fonts at a time and re-launching lightroom

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Thomas

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to fxgeek

Thomas, you're a star!  That worked for me.  I haven't identified the corrupt font yet but I can access the book module now.  Thank you!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Hi Thomas,  I spoke too soon.  I tried putting some fonts back into my user font folder and now then the module changing error as soon as I launch Lr rather than only when trying to access the book module.  Then I put all the fonts back where they were before and continue to get the error on launch.   I don't know where that leaves me but maybe it will help Dan Tull troubleshooting this.  I hope. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

Wow. That's it! Thank you Thomas!

For purposes of debugging, the font is called aescrawl.ttf. What's interesting is that when you look at the font info, the full font name is Aenigma Scrawl, but in some parts of the font info, its being registered as ∆nigma Scrawl. It generates a name table useability caution when I validate it in fontbook. It's a freeware font, easily downloadable if anyone wants to check out what the specific problem is.

Julie, Did you try taking the fonts all out again?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 5:40 AM   in reply to fxgeek

Thomas...Thanks so much!

That worked for me too.  I have a folder right below fonts called fonts disabled and I dragged the whole lot into that.  I restarted lightroom and it opened up the book module!

I have so many fonts in there that figuring out the corrupt one will be the next challenge. 

Kim

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to kacarts

I have a lot too. Do it in halves. eg. Take all the fonts from a-L and try them, if they dont work, take them out again and try a-e, etc. It took me about twenty minutes to narrow down a couple hundred to one font.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to artemesia66

Thanks! ...It didn't take long to find the font causing my book module problem...cafenorden.ttf 

It looks ok but when I click it to see it, the e has turned into a question mark so maybe the odd character too.  The font below it, Mom.ttf also has an odd character and although it wasn't crashing the book module, it is not showing up in the lightroom 4 beta font list when I dragged it into the fonts folder.

Maybe a picture is worth a thousand words...here is a screen shot...

...as per Thomas's suggestion I dragged all the fonts from Fonts into  Fonts Disabled, then as artemesia suggested, I tried a few at a time to narrow down the bad font.  Hope this works for you Julie and anyone else having problems with the Book Module.

Screen-shot-2012-01-29-at-9.52.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to artemesia66

I'm all sorted out now too.  The culprit font in my case was:

MyMom s Font.ttf.

It validates fine in FontBook.

Thank you everyone!

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Julie McLeod

3 cheers for Thomas!  Great job!!!!!! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Exactly!

Any idea why Lightroom 4 would be unhappy with a font that didn't pose any problems for previous versions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to shawn moore

I'm glad that you found a solution for your problem.

Any idea why Lightroom 4 would be unhappy with a font that didn't pose any problems for previous versions?

I think that the book module is using a different Font Library.

|
    Mark as:
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points