Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp HTML v9 - TFS always want to check in

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe community,

RoboHelp is a good program but the tfs integration is horrible or I'm to stupid?

For example:

If I want to "rename" a folder, RoboHelp wants to "add" a new one, "delete" the old one and the same with whole files in the folder.

That would be ok, but RoboHelp opens for each single interaction an dialog for check in, that's too much.

If I rename a folder with 200 files in it, I would click half an hour "ok" I think and after all I would have nearly 400 changesets in one "Task". That makes the history very unclear.

Is there any possibility to make a lot of changes and if I finished my work to check in all in one step( much more import in ONE changeset)?

Normally I work with VisualStudio and tfs as VersionControl and I like it, that's much more comfortable as the tfs integration in robohelp at the moment.

I hope you can help me.

kind regards

Denis

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Denis

Sorry, I have nothing really to offer you as far as solving the issue. But I did want to say that your issue really seems to underscore a fundamental belief I developed over the years. And that belief is that a trade off always occurs when you "integrate" two applications such as RoboHelp and a Source Control system. You find that things that would be simple to achieve aren't quite that simple when you allow one application to control another.

It is for this very reason that I've always preferred working with things independently. I guess one might refer to me as being a "segregationist". LOL But when you think about it, by isolating the applications and using them independently, you may just find yourself removing some frustration along the way.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It's very annoying indeed. I do believe that it's TFS's fault since I also get these popups when I check something in from outside RoboHelp, but since I very rarely rename more than a single file I haven't really looked into it. It may very well be a TFS setting. Be sure to ask your TFS administrator.

Personally, when I have such large tasks, I follow the following steps: (In the case of renaming)

1. Close RoboHelp.
  2. Check out the files from TFS
  3. Rename all the files/directories.
  4. Edit the .fpj files of the Robo project so all fpj files point to the correct files. (Rename the .fpj to reflect the names of the directories.)
  5. Remove the CPD.
  6. Start RoboHelp and check for broken links. Redo steps if needed.
  7. Check in all changes at once.

This may not be a solution, but it works for me. I'm open for any suggestions!

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2012 Jan 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your proposal for solution.

It's a good work around I used too. But like you say it isn't a solution.

I believe the problem is on the side of RoboHelp.

Because if i rename something in windows explorer with TFS right-mouse-click -> Team Foundation Server -> rename, it's one action named "rename" on TFS and not "edit","add", "add" each file, "delete" old folder.

It seems that RoboHelp uses the wrong command, maybe someone know how I can solve this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In that case it's a RoboHelp bug, I don't think you can just solve it. My guess it's something in the RH code itself. You may want to report this as a bug: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes it sounds like a bug. Thanks for the link. I'm going to report it tonight.

Cheers,

Denis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp