Skip navigation
MP5434
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 tells me there is not enough memory to import files... help!

Jan 18, 2012 9:50 AM

Hi, I'm attempting to important several images into my Premiere Pro (CS5) project; however, after importanting several images, it won't let me important any more stating that: "There is not enough memory to import the required file(s). How can I resolve this problem?

Please forgive me for being so ignorant. I'm learning. And I know I have a lot more to learn in the world of technology.

Thank you!

-M.    

screenshot.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to MP5434

What are the dimensions of the stills? You may need to make copies at a smaller size before importing if the originals are too massive.

Your project resolution at most will be 1920x1080 HD, but the stills could be 8000x6000 or something crazy like that, a lot of extra overhead involved.

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to MP5434

How about some info on your system !   Like ram fer instance....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 11:14 AM   in reply to MP5434

Im a Mac person, but it seems to me that if you are trying to edit HD sequences with images you mentioned, that you need to have more that 4 GB of ram. Between Windows and Premiere that might not leave enough for what you want to do. It might help to know about you entire system..processors, raid array, graphics cards,etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 11:22 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I second the idea to at least quadruple the amount of RAM you have installed.  Both Windows and Premiere Pro can make good use of it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to MP5434

You might, and I repeat might, be able to Scale (see this ARTICLE) your Still Images in Photoshop to match your Sequence's Frame Size, but 4GB with Win7-64 is only about enough to run the OS, and not much more.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to MP5434

Reply to the original post by MP5434,

Hi, What this error means is a few things. First, it has nothing to do with the memory in your computer Adobe Premiere is an idiot, photoshop is an idiot, and the person who created the file might just be an idiot too depending. lol...

Seriously, the file could be 20x20 pixels and it still won't go in.

What I have come to the conclusion of every time I get this error is that the person who made the original file and sent it to me did something weird in creating it that causes Premiere to react this way. I'm not sure what it is yet, and I'm not interested in finding out, I just use a work around.

For future help for others, here's what I do: (on mac) open photoshop, make the view 100% hopefully it won't pass your screen, if it does, resize or crop. Then open "GRAB" take a snap of the window. Close it saving it somewhere in your computer as what it is, which is a tiff.

Then open that .tiff file in photoshop and save it as whatever you want either photoshop file or jpeg or pdf. Then import that file you just saved into Premiere and now the problem is gone!!

On windows; instead of using "Grab" just hit ALT+PRINT SCREEN, Then open a new file in photoshop make it whatever you want, I would start with 2000 x 2000, then paste what should be in your clipboard and crop & resize. Then save it and go back to premiere. When you import this time you will not have the error.

Hopefully this info will help someone who encounters this in the future :-) if I find the root cause, I will post.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to MP5434

You might want to read this first: Preparing still images before importing  

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/importing-still-images.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Cosme422

That has got to be the weirdest explanantion and workaround to do something so easy and then using a screen grab as an intermediate image file ...is just nuts!

@the OP...listen to ANN and Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to shooternz

Good feedback.

I think we can figure this thing out :-)

Believe me guys I know what you mean, but when I have spent so much time in photoshop trying to modify the file in every possible way and still get the error when trying to import it, there was no other option for me. Specially with the TV station giving me a 2hr window to get the project done, rendered  and uploaded to their server!

Out of Photoshop I tried:

1. Exporting as a new file.

2. Saving as a new file.

3. Saving as a PDF (which usually is my last resort and works to import into Premiere) it didn't this time.

4. Modifying the color settings, the mode, etc, etc...

5. Saving in every available format availabe that I could think of, and nothing.

I even made the file ridiculously small  and it still wouldn't import.

I would love to send anyone the file and see if it imports for anyone else with no issues. Then I could rule out my system, and my brain!

if you want to try and solve this mistery  email me and I'll send you the file. I'm at Cosme422 at gmail. I would love to see someone figure this out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Cosme422

4. Modifying the color settings, the mode, etc, etc...

Which Color Mode did you try? One wants RGB 8-Bit, for Video. No CMYK. No LAB Color. No 16-bit Color Depth.

The ultimate format, to me, is PSD, which always works perfectly. JPEG (not Progressive JPEG), has also worked well, but I just happen to not be a fan of JPEG compression, so shy away from it, unless that is all the client can provide. If I have to do ANY alterations to it, then I do a Save_As PSD, for Import.

Good luck,

hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:19 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

PSD is the format I use every time as well Bill and my prefered. I tried every color mode photoshop offers, and "Save As" each one and nothing. 

But!

I think I just discovered the problem!.

Since I don't have my primary computer with me I tried to open the file in Photoshop Elements which is on my carry around laptop and received an error message that says: "This document uses an unsuported color mode"  telling me that it must be converted to be used with photoshop elements. I wish the full version of Photoshop on my main computer would have told me this!

Here's the file in my dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25841233/EZ%20Pass%20%242.psd

Can't wait to get to my main computer in a few hours to investigate this file further now that the job is complete and delivered :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Cosme422

Dude, your image is CMYK.  Like Bill said, that won't work.  It needs to be RGB (which I tested and works just fine.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 3, 2012 7:30 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

That's the weird part that I did change it to RGB 8 bit and "Saved As" and still got the error trying to import it to Premiere. I will try it again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to Cosme422

Yes, PSElements lacks CMYK support, unlike PS.

When I am outputting Images in both RGB and CMYK, I always include those characters in the Save_As file's name, to keep me in the know, when I go to deliver the files to the client.

Good luck, and please let us know how the RGB works.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 10:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Sorry it took so song for me to get back with my results.

I finally had the time today to test this on my main computer. (the one I was using at the time I encountered the error)

"Not Enough Memory To Import The File" was not the problem as the software error message indicated.

The resolution: Open the file in Photoshop>Change Image mode to RGB 8bit and Save.

Then I was able to import the file. (without having to add more memory to my computer :-)

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points