Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The disk copy was changed since you last opened it.

Jan 18, 2012 8:05 PM

..... Do you want to save it anyway?

I'm starting to get this message again a lot. It went away for awhile, and is now back.

It started with CS5.

I think Adobe blames it on other software but cannot pinpoint it?

Can anyone fill me in?

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to kevin4545

See the previous discussions. Yes, it is caused by something outside of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 8:39 PM   in reply to kevin4545

You can't eliminate it.  You just live with it.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to kevin4545

As for the cause, it can be any of a variety of things:  the Finder itself, a font manager (e,g. Suitcase), Dropbox, etc.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 11:21 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Unless you can find which other app it is, you can't do much.

And there are indications that (at least on MacOS) the problem may be with the OS, Finder, or TimeMachine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Photoshop does a lot of error checking when opening and saving files -- more than most other applications. So Photoshop catches more errors, and reports them to the user.

Yes, we keep working on issues like this, and rarely find them to be actual bugs in our code - but find lots of third party bugs.

Unfortunately, many of these are system specific and won't reproduce elsewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to kevin4545

Imagine if you're working in Painter and Photoshop -- you don't want Photoshop to save over what you just saved in Painter, you'd probably like to know it was changed instead of losing that work.

And Photoshop can see if the file changed and ask if you want to open the updated file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to kevin4545

We can't easily make error checking a preference.

("would you like you knife with a handle, or do you like bleeding a lot?")

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 20, 2012 7:11 AM   in reply to kevin4545

You seem to be concentrating on the effect of the error checking...  The implication above is that something the system is doing is (unexpectedly) touching the file.  Wouldn't it be best to understand what that is all about and correct it, anticipate it, or configure around it?

Is this happening on all Mac systems?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 20, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to kevin4545

It was kind of addressed to Chris...  All I'm saying is that there's an implication here that something is systemically touching (or possibly altering) files while you are editing them, and that's most certainly not something that should be tolerated or ignored.

Either it's the normal way a Mac system works (which I don't know but I doubt) or something you specifically have running on your system is causing it, which you should understand and possibly change.  If the former (normal operation), then Adobe needs to change the way Photoshop works, because the error message is bogus.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 20, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to kevin4545

I get it just fine.

In computers nothing is magic.  Even in Macs.

Something is triggering logic in Photoshop that checks to see if any changes have been made to a file since you opened it.  You would not normally expect that to happen.  Another poster above has indicated it happens a lot and should just be ignored.  I say get to the bottom of why it's happening because it just might be important.

It might be that OSX is now doing something it didn't when your version of Photoshop was designed or it might be that something you've installed is doing it.  Any reason not to try to find out just what it is?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 20, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

To further what I just said, if it DOES turn out to be something you've installed or configured on your system that's unexpectedly touching the file, then whose job do you think it is to diagnose and correct the problem?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

...In previous versions I never saw this. Now it comes up. I love to know how to remove it. 

Others have seen this in many different versions of Photoshop. Search the forum for many discussions about this.  When you say that you cannot decipher it, neither can anyone else. It is a transient quirk. It all comes down to something unique to your system. Something might have changed around the time you added CS5 but that does not mean CS5 caused it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 20, 2012 8:06 AM   in reply to kevin4545

Unfortunately I'm no Mac expert - I'm all about Windows.  But surely someone here should be able to direct you to ways to find out what is touching your file unexpectedly, beyond just vague references to parts of OSX or just telling you to ignore it.  I was just encouraging you not to give up on just those answers.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 22, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I wonder how he determined it's looking at the "last accessed" date.  That would indeed be wrong operation.  Chris, that should be easy to determine.

For what it's worth, on Windows the very same concepts apply (though the implementation is of course different), and I have never seen it myself nor heard anyone else claim this problem has happened to them on Windows.  I'm not all-knowing, but it seems to me to be Mac-specific.

By the way, I think in context the word "touch" has more specific meaning than Mac Genius has led you to believe.  "Touching" a file in the Unix world usually means changing its modification date, not the last accessed date.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Nope, we're looking at the file modification date, not "last accessed".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

...I have never seen it myself nor heard anyone else claim this problem has happened to them on Windows...

Here is Windows doing the same thing...

change.png

Windows has the same file check and error message. What Windows does not have is a wonky OS or background process that is modifying the file as much as OS X might. (Do not insert platform flame war here. I'm just pointing out something I observe as a user of both platforms.) There's good reason to believe OS X can be improved in regard to how the OS handles image files.

For the related discussion to this topic, check here. Google is your [gossipy] friend. 

There is troubleshooting logic that is being ignored here. If this was truly a bug for all users of PSCS5 on Mac, all users of PSCS5 Mac would be seeing this. If this was unique to CS5, we would not have seen similar posts from before the advent of CS5. The fact that it is spotty indicates that certain users have their system configured in unique ways. You need to figure out what is unique about your system. This was mentioned by this topic's first responders.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to kevin4545

You've had suggestions about the possible causes and it was assumed that you would consider disabling those possible causes.

From where are you opening the file? Is the file on your desktop where the OS always generates icon previews? Save your files elsewhere. Are you opening it from an open Finder window with a large icon preview? Don't generate previews with Finder. Uncheck show preview column in Finder's display. Are you running TimeMachine? Try life without it. Are you running anti-virus? Disable it. Are you using Spotlight? Turn it off.

You have never stated what you have running on your system or what troubleshooting steps you have taken. I don't even see a mention of which kitty you are using. Meet us half-way.

From the very first post you have been told that it is any number of things. You need to experiment to see which thing it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

...I Don't run antivirus, macs don't need them...

This ends my ability to further converse with you. You're just not aware of your machine and have an attitude that does not seem to want to learn.

If you are running Snow Leopard or Lion (we still have no idea which), you are most certainly running some level of anti-virus.  OS X comes with a trinket to catch a few bugs. You can get more advanced antivirus tools as well.

The usefulness of Time Machine varies. There are practical reasons for a power user (such as a Photoshop user) to disable it or limit its function.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to kevin4545

I don't think T is running CS5. If he did, I would suspect that he would know how to get around this problem of yours.  He seems more familiar with his system.

I'm throwing out generalizations to someone who is so ambiguous that he cannot even describe which kitty he is using. How is someone (such as the Adobe engineer who gave you some attention here) supposed to understand the problem that needs to be fixed if you cannot fully describe the problem?

I run Photoshop on Mac. I don't have this problem. So you are correct that I have no iota on how to solve your problem. Only you can solve this. ...not an Adobe engineer.

I put no blame on anyone asking for help here. I blame people that fail to fully describe their problem and expect a detailed solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 24, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Kevin, have you yourself actually verified that the file modification date is not changed (i.e., is set to a time before you started editing the file) when this message comes up?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to kevin4545

kevin4545 wrote:

...But please don't put the blame on the Mac OS...

We are fully entitled to blame Mac OS with silliness like this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3638147#3638147

OS X and Finder have some weird crap going on. Mac OS can certainly be improved. You don't have to be embarrased that you bought into a wonky system.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 24, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Heh.  Windows is wonky too, just differently so. 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 24, 2012 4:25 PM   in reply to kevin4545

It's kind of silly to be relaying info between forums, where there's altogether too much being unsaid...

Here's my response to:

At the end of the day, Photoshop is reporting that a file has been modified when the file has *not* been modified. That is incorrect on Photoshop's part no matter what excuse is given.

The implication in the statement above is that only Photoshop could be at fault.  That's a bogus statement when nowhere has it been proven here that the file modification date/time is not being changed by some other program!  For all you know you might have some malware that's going through your file structure and touching the modification dates on your files.

Ask yourself this, Kevin:  Have YOU seen it detect a file modification when the modification date is unchanged?

You need to delve into this YOURSELF, or just ignore it as you have said.  Details matter!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points