• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extra sequence presets require certified graphics card?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium I don't have the extra (third party) sequence presets that the full version has over the trial version. Last time I installed this on the same machine with the same OS I got those presets. Now I can not open any of my previous work I created using those presets. After long discussions with Adobe support it appears that the reason for this is my graphics card (being a lowly Quadro FX1500). I'm now faced with the cost of a FX 3800 ($700) to get these presets to install.

I have to say that I'm pretty dubious this is the problem. I can see me getting the card and the problem not being fixed. I didn't get any install errors. Can anyone give me some more confidence that this is the reason I'm not getting the extra presets installed? I know the FX1500 is old but it's good enough for me. I'm not a video professional just a mechanical engineer putting some technical videos together and using the CS5.5 Production Premium on a month-to-month licence as and when I need it. I would upgrade to an FX1800 for my CAD work but this is not certified for Premiere Pro

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good grief--"Support" is dead wrong. A graphics card has absolutely nothing to do with any sequence presets.

So, you had these before, right? Did you just recently install an update to CS5.5? Can you show a screen shot of the New Sequence dialog that shows the presets categories (not all the presets) you have available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Colin, That was so fast! I've spent 1hr 20mins on hold to tech support today alone and hours online chatting and getting know where. Thank you for being there...

And yes here is the screen shot I took for this very purpose

Presets.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes--the good ol' "revert to trial" bug. Fortunately, it won't cost you a dime to fix, but a bit of time and aggravation...

1) Deactivate the software (under the Help menu in any suite application)

2) Uninstall

3) Run the Adobe Creative Suite Cleaner Tool

4) Reboot

5) Optionally, you can do #3 and #4 again, but it's typically not necessary

6) Reinstall

7) Activate

8) Update immediately from something like Bridge

That should get you back all the sequence presets and format support that you'd otherwise be missing.

Let us know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow - thank you.

Please can you explain:

8) Update immediately from something like Bridge

The download I'm using to install is only a few days old if that is what you mean?

BTW: I spoke to Special Support for Premier Pro on the phone and they were adamant they could not help and it was an install problem it's been impossible going through the correct channels to get any help on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivation fails.

Deactivation.png

every time.

Error #255:255 in the bottom of the dialogue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, that's weird. There's also a deactivate checkbox in the uninstaller, so you might just try that option instead. Are you connected to the Internet on that machine? I'm assuming you are, but thought I'd ask...

You may also want to try deactivating with another application in the suite; just about any included application will work for this.

I take it this was a purchased, downloaded version of Production Premium CS5.5? Was it activated to begin with?

My point about updating immediately is that Premiere Pro CS5.5 is on version 5.5.2, released just a few days ago. Even if you downloaded your retail version recently, that's still 5.5.0 in that download; other applications have other updates, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think from the ControlPanel>Programs and Feature the Uninstall just kicks off and I didn't see the deactivate box.

Yep it's connected to the internet.

I'll try deactivating from another app.

I had a lot of problems with activation:

1. downloaded

2. installed and entered serial number => green tick

3. errors not allowing to proceed. First asked me to try again then saying subscription had expired although it had not. It had expired but just been renewed.

4. #3 continued for a few days

5. Support with interactive session installed and activation was OK

6. Next day realised that there was an issue and every launch of every application had serial number but asked for activation. Logged support request

7. Three days later phone support to fix reactivation problem and I had not tried to use CS in that time. First launch no problem. Request for activation and login using adobe ID no longer a problem.

8. All along I pointed out this problem asking if it was related as opening any previous work resulted in

Presets needed.png

Did some research and realised that the functionality of presets was most likely that of Trial version and maybe the issues were related.

9. Embarked upon fixing this and Premier Support sent me to Install and Install Support sent me to Premier until I refused to go. Install went through checklist and said "go buy an new graphics card that is the problem".

10, Here I am. Thank you for your help it is greatly appreciated.

I'll try to follow your instructions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin,

I have followed your instructions but I was not able to deactivate CS5.5 from any application. I used Control Panel>Programs and Features> Uninstall which gave me this:

uninstall remove pref.png

This went well. I also removed the other supplemental apps I had installed. I ran the cleaner. Rebooted. Ran the cleaner it said there was nothing to remove.

Installed.

That went well and now when I start an new project I still only have the trail presets:

presets after install.png

Where can I go from here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar thing happen to me; after I launched Pr, started a project, closed Pr, and restarted, the presets were initialized. Have you tried that? Don't use one of your existing projects; just create a new one, and skip past the New Sequence dialog (hit Cancel).

Also, did you say this was a subscription? If I so, I must admit that I'm not entirely sure how those work, so there might be something slightly different about that license and activation process that is causing the hitch in the giddy-up.

I'm going to see if I can get someone who is a little... OK, a lot... closer to Adobe to have a look at this issue for you. Typically, the above process fixes this almost every time, but there is something rather strange going on.

Standby...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's my confusion.

The trial of 5.5 is fully functional, MPEG and all.  Even the trial should have all the presets.  This "revert to trial" bug should not affect 5.5, as their's no functional difference between the trial and the paid version.

If that's the case, then something else is amiss here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "revert to trial" bug should not affect 5.5, as their's no functional difference between the trial and the paid version.

It shouldn't, but it does from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shouldn't, but it does from time to time.

But how can it, if the trial and paid are the same?

I guess what I'm suggesting is that something else may be causing this issue for 5.5, and the old fix of a reinstall may not work if that something else isn't addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because they're still part of a separate activation scheme, since they're licensed codecs. Sometimes it fails and this type of situation happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.  Didn't know that part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon,

I was trying to piece the problem together and yes I think I was reading the information about CS5 not 5.5. I think it relates to the video used from my Canon DSLR which is in the proejcts I created before this install. I didn't install any third party software when I made these just used the download from Adobe. Now I can not open these. Well to be precise this happens.

I open project and I get

Presets needed.png

but the project opens.

If that project is Saved or SaveAs then the resulting saved project can not be opened at all it just gives:

will not open.png

When I get to this point I can not get hold of the project at all (open it).

I saw the presets as the root of the problem but I'm guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have a look at this in the morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there trying to get it figured out you should download the free trial and install that and see if it works.

At least that way you can be working on your project as a fix is happening.

GLenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2011 Nov 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not use the Trial version because even if it fixes this issue when I install it it does not come with After Effects and I have Ae content so I would not be able to render the edited result for another reason

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2011 Nov 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this screendump before.

Could not get it to work either until i rembered i forgot to install the Cineform codec.

Could it be something like that.

no presets.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me so long to get to this thread. Colin sent me a link just as I was leaving work yesterday.

First: Please post the case number for the interaction that you had with Adobe Technical Support in which you were told that this was an issue with your graphics card. I need to follow up with the person that you talked with.

OK, so now to try to solve your problem:

The messages about the sequence presets are the tip of an iceberg. It's not just the sequence presets that are missing; it is likely the entire bundle of things that are installed that are associated with a subset of codecs.

There are some codecs that we license from third parties (including the MPEG codecs for DSLR video) that are installed with a separate subinstaller. In the past, this material didn't get installed and unlocked with the trial version, so a failure to install and unlock this content made the application behave just like the trial version. That's why people call this the "revert to trial bug", even though that's really not accurate any more.

It appears that you have a problem where this content isn't being installed and/or unlocked. Normally, the procedure that Colin described works to overcome this issue, as it essentially is just a "do-over" of the installation process, and the installer usually gets it right the second time.

I don't know the nitty-gritty details of how this part of the installation process works, so I'm going to forward a link to this thread to someone who does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking in, Todd. What should we call this issue now? Codec Amnesia?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

narrowneck,

Do you mind if I share your email address with one of our testers so that he can contact you for more information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2011 Nov 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please do - that would be great.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2011 Nov 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please do - that would be great.

Thank you

(sorry used the other ID by mistake...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines