Skip navigation
jmmcintyre
Currently Being Moderated

Creating pdf from Microsoft Excel

Jan 19, 2012 8:24 AM

Tags: #acrobat #pdf #adobe #9 #professional #excel #microsoft #tabs #2007

I need some help and I am hoping someone has run into this before.  I have been able to create a pdf from a Microsoft Excel document with no problem but the issue I am having is when I do that all of the sheets are merged into one workbook and it creates an continuous 330 page document; I want to be able to have separate tabs or some type of separation like Microsoft Excel does.  I could create each sheet into a pdf and then merge them all into pdf portfolio but that would be labor intensive.

Can someone help me?

Thanks, John

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to jmmcintyre

Hope you find a solution. Just wanted to comment that this new forum setup somehow has not shown any of George's comments on this thread!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to jmmcintyre

If you have a single PDF you'd use Bookmarks as PDF does not support "tabs" such as those for multiple Excel worksheets.

As to attaching a file to a post; that capability was turned off sometime ago. You can upload a screen capture image file.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to jmmcintyre

I have found an interesting video tutorial of how to convert Excel to PDF, watch it may helps you.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to jmmcintyre

John,

Once content is in PDF there is no such thing as "workbook" or "worksheet". PDF is content painted to a "page".
    As dictated by the quantity of content there may be many pages.
    PDFMaker can be configured to prompt for which worksheets of a workbook, in Excel, that are to be processed out to PDF.
    With multiple worksheets selected each worksheet's content is processed out, in sequence, to the PDF being created.
    So, the first worksheet's content fills PDF page 1 through page N. The second worksheet's content fills PDF page N+1 through page M.
    This continues for all selected worksheets.

The result is, as expected, a multi-page PDF.

If the PDFMaker has been configured to create PDF Bookmarks then a Bookmark is created for each worksheet.
    The Bookmark's label will reflect the worksheet's "name" in its respective tab back in Excel.
    The Bookmarks' default action will be:

Go to a page in this document (e.g., the PDF)
    ---| Page: "n" (the page on which the worksheet's content starts)
    ---| Zoom level: Inherit Zoom

Clicking on any given Bookmark takes the user to the start page of the Bookmark identified worksheet content. 

. Some screen captures that may help.

01_bkmrks.png

PDFMaker's configuration dialog

02_selshts.png

If "Prompt for Selecting Excel Sheets" is ticked in the PDFMaker configuration dialog then this dialog appears when PDFMaker begins the PDF creation process.

03_bm2.png

The output PDF will have a Bookmark that permits navigating to the start of content for the designated worksheet content within the PDF.

04_navpane.png

To view the Bookmarks the Navigation Pane must display.

For any PDF, if one configures the PDF's Document Properties > Initial View tab both the PDF page and the PDF's Bookmarks pane can be set to show upon opening of the PDF.

For many PDF's Acrobat Pro can be used to establish this with the "Open" sequence via a Batch Sequence / Action.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points