Skip navigation
Bob Bringhurst 4,636 posts
May 29, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Announcement (January 16) - Folio Producer tools update

Jan 16, 2012 3:46 PM

Digital Publishing Suite will be releasing new features and functionality Monday January 16 at 5:00 PM Pacific Coast time and Tuesday January 17 at noon. While the acrobat.com server is being updated, you may not be able to use the Folio Producer tools. New features include embedded overlays in slideshows, enhanced buttons that support sound/video actions, article relink, PDF pinch and zoom with all overlays, custom-created Adobe Content Viewer, and more. I'll post a more complete list after the update, or you can look at What's new in this release when help is updated.

Again, note that there are two separate installers: one for the Folio Producer tools and one for the Folio Builder panel. If you created a custom viewer using a previous set of tools and don't want to update your viewer app, install only the Folio Builder panel to stay in sync with the updated web client. If you want to update all your tools, install the Folio Producer tools first, and then install the Folio Builder panel. For this release, updating the Folio Builder panel is recommended but not required. See Installing digital publishing tools.

The v18 file format is a change from the previous file format, so any folio you create with the newest set of tools will not work with the current Adobe Content Viewer (2.2) or with custom viewer apps. Trying to open a folio results in a "Please update your app" message. However, if you have a Professional or Enterprise account, you can use the Viewer Builder to create a custom version of the Adobe Content Viewer so that you don't have to wait for Apple to approve. If you do not have a Pro or Enterprise account, you may want to wait until Apple approves the new viewer before you update your Folio Producer tools.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2012 1:47 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

This is great news !

You just made my day :-)

Can someone call Mr. Cook,

and ask him to hurry up ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 1:58 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Even if it sounds so delicious, be cautious and don't eat it as hot as

coming from the kitchen and download later

(mobil gesendet)

Am 17.01.2012 10:47 schrieb "Peter Villevoye" <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: Announcement (January 16) - Folio Producer tools update  created

by Peter Villevoye <http://forums.adobe.com/people/Peter+Villevoye> in *Digital

Publishing Suite* - View the full discussion<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4145761#4145761>

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 2:16 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

I stilll feel we need a way to create a branded custom viewer and free distribution option within an enterprise environment using the single edition subscription option.  I was hoping for that feature soon

If a company wants to host free inhouse publications on their own servers( ie. custom viewer and issues), they should be able to do so without having to sign up for an enterprise account with adobe, Adobe will loose a lot of customers if apple comes up with their own custom publishing tools this thursday. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

This is really great news, in fact much of what was on my wish list Adobe has now provided. Thanks for listening Bob, this upgrade promises to push the boundary for interactive tablet publications in terms of user experience. Our only problem now is whether to revisit two book apps that are ready to publish or to revisit them first. We will need to test some of the new features against what we have done in the past, for example what will the effect of having used  Pan and Zoom on an image when it is rebuilt with the new Pinch and Zoom PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

We are at a critical stage with the second issue of the Photographer'si Magazine as well as two new book projects so I would really appreciate an answer to this from Adobe:

What will the effect of having used  Pan and Zoom on an image when it is rebuilt with the new Pinch and Zoom PDF? Will you be able to zoom the whole page including the image with Pan and Zoom? Will you get a double zoom?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

I have no details but until someone from adobe can answer this, I will assume following: if a pinch and zoom is activated, the pinch-gesture will go to the pan and zoom, not the page.

interesting point here: Pinch the page to zoom onto a pan&zoom until it covers the whole screen, then activate it to pinch&zoom the image. will I be ever able to get out of that or the next page by swiping and pinching?

or do I have to double-tap the pan&zoom to reset it and then pinch the page down again?

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 8:55 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

You always have to tap the Pan/Zoom image before you can pinch/zoom, so I guess it is a 'tap patient user mode' before the images pans or zooms, not the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

Bob,

make a pan and zoom that covers (nearly) all the page. Pinch in the page

before activating the pan&zoom. now that the pan and zoom is activated,

you cannot pinch out the page.

This is what I imagine will happen ... until I get my hands on the new

tools.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Just so I am clear:

If I update the Folio Producer tools and publish a folio, the folio will NOT work with v17 of the custom viewer creator.

BUT if I update the viewer app to v18, will the viewer app read older versions of folios?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Any ETA on Apple's approval of the new Content Viewer for iPad? Hoping very soon.

Currently working on a folio that was started with pre-Release 18 tools. We updated tools on one computer to Release 18 this morning, made a few tweaks to a single article, then updated it to the folio.

As you predicted, Bob, we can NO LONGER VIEW the folio on our iPad Content Viewer (2.2). And our Enterprise license is still in the works so we can't build a Custom Viewer.

Anyone have a link to pre-Release 18 downloads to reinstall the old Builder panel and Producer Tools on this computer? Or any other ways to circumvent this problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 5:17 AM   in reply to Josh Penrod

If you want an ETA ask Apple. But trust me when I tell you that you’ll be wasting your time.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 5:31 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

It is possible to make an app approved in 48 hours by Apple if you have good relations with key people. Unfortunately it seems Adobe and Apple...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Right. I believe the Apple approval process is generally 10-14 days.

Wonder how long ago it was submitted for approval.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Lose the conspiracy theory. It will get approved when it gets approved.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I don't want to rollback ;-) Keep forward !!! ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks, Bob B.

Following your link I found a link to previous releases of Folio Producer Tools (but not Folio Builder panel).

If anyone else needs them: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=4&platfor m=Macintosh

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I'm trying and failing to do a first-time install of Folio Builder in InDesign CS5.5 on Windows 7.

After installing Folio Producer Tools and Folio Builder Panel I start InDesign, go to  Windows->Extensions->Folio Builder and the Folio Builder says "To start the digital publishing authoring process, please download the update for the Folio Producer components and relaunch your application."

Windows->Extensions->Overlay Creator is grayed out (disabled.)

I've updated Adobe Air, uninstalled and re-installed InDesign CS5.5 and the Folio Producer / Folio Builder Panel compents as well as disabled/re-enabled DigitalPublishing in Extension Manager. Nothing activates the extension.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob

Do you know approx. when will we have the new Adobe Viewer app ? roughly

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to minia92

It will be available when Apple approves it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 6:14 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Yes I know that. but I meant I just wanted to know if the app was still in finalization or sent to Apple for review.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to minia92

AFAIK, it’s been submitted.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Super, thanks Bob and Bob !!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hello,

I don't understand exactly - does this mean that I can't preview any folios in the Content Viewer App?? I have downloaded all the recent versions of Indesign folio tools and panels, in the order writen here - should I uninstall the upgrades? In that case, how can i do this? I'm working on a deadline, and it's crucial to bea able to preview the folios.

Appreciate the help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 2:10 AM   in reply to katya.sandom

That's exactly why you should NOT have upgraded your tools !

You should have waited until you can work your way back from the end of the workflow (wait for your own or at least Adobe's upgraded and submitted Viewer to appear on the App Store), to the Folio's and Tools for InDesign (with new technical features) in the front of the workflow.

Read this page:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2011/12/understanding-dps-tool-ver sions.html

And download the older tools (Mac or Win):

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=4&platfor m=mac

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/collection.jsp?collID=4&platfor m=win

Read the uninstall section of this page:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/916/cpsid_91689.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to Peter Villevoye

Thank you, I figured it out just before you posted thus, and I can preview the folio *phew*. Thank you for a fast reply!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 12:58 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

unfortunately I find your post AFTER a whole day of trying to figure out what was wrong with my folio. I ended up with a complete mess in my computer, that even a new version of Folio Builder stopped working. After one more day of continuous installing/desinstalling everything is working again. Even better, this morning I saw that a new Viewer arrived in App Store. So my question is: why there were NO WARNING on a download page that software is incompatible with actual Viewer and that we should expect until new version is out? I saw in this forum that I'm not the only one having this problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 12:59 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hello.

I downloaded and intstalled this latest Folio Producer  Tools but Content Viewer for Desktop was not installed or encounters an error.

When I tried to preview an article this error quote always pops out:

An error has occurred while generating article preview.

Could not find the Adobe® Content Viewer.

I have already reinstalled the Folio Producer Tools along with the latest AIR, but still I can find my Content Viewer for Desktop.

Experts, please advice.

Im using Mac, OSX Lion.

Many Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:15 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

I have been having a problem with my Folio Preview not working so I tried to reinstall the Adobe Content Viewer by doing as you suggested and drilling down in the Folio Producer installer (AdobeDigitalPublishing-mul > payloads > AdobeContentViewer-mul > AdobeContentViewer.air) but was not able to because I am now getting THIS following message:

"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured. Please contact the application author for assistance."

Can anyone help me out with trying to solve this?

Thank you kindly in advance:)

Christine

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Ciellana

Okay...I FINALLY got everything working. I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Air. I don't know if that helped as I think I was still unable to manually install Adobe Content Viewer at that point. (Reinstalling the Folio Tools would still not install Adobe Content Viewer either.) The only way I finally got everything to work was by creating a new folder inside Applications and choosing to install the Adobe Content Viewer into THAT folder instead of to the default Adobe folder. Ta-da!! That seemed to do it! I then moved the Adobe Content Viewer into the Adobe folder and now all is working perfectly. I have NO idea why it just would not install into the Adobe folder but at least everything is working now. Hope this helps someone!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)