Skip navigation
nuttupeditor
Currently Being Moderated

Video slow when editing

Jan 18, 2012 6:05 PM

I recently built a new PC and installed Premiere Elements 8.  It ran sufficient on my older PC, but I thought if I built a faster/better machine my life would be much better.

Here are the ciritical parts:

CPU                           Intel I5 2500K
System Drive:  (SSD)   OCZ VERTEX PLUS (120 GB)CPU 3.30gighhertz Intel Core i5-2500K

RAM                           8170 Megabytes

Secondary Drives:        Seagagte ST31000340AS  (1000 GB)

Video:                         NVIDIA GEForce GTX 550 Ti

Operating system Windows 7

Everthing runs awesome, except for Premiere Elements which runs incredibly slow.  When previewing .AVI files that run fine on my old computer, the video portion barely moves.

Essentially it's unusable. 

I've done all the optimization tricks I could find from Adobe with no luck.

I check system resources and CPU runs at 7% and virtually no Ram is being used.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Welcome to the forum.

What are the full specs. of those AVI files?

You list "secondary HDD's," but I am not sure what you full I/O sub-system is, and how you have the HDD's allocated. Can you elaborate?

For a general checklist of things to insure that PrE and the system are turned, see this ARTICLE. Also, it then goes into detail on tuning the system even more, plus the OS. Last, there are links for troubleshooting.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to nuttupeditor

For those AVI's, what is the CODEC inside them? This ARTICLE will give you more info, plus tips on how to "peak inside" the AVI "wrapper."

Thank you for the info on the I/O, as that was exactly what I was asking. So you have an SSD for the OS and programs, and then a pair of 1TB SATA HDD's for Projects, media and the Projects' Scratch Disks. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... a screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Kelli,

This ARTICLE might be helpful, when beginning the task of learning about CODEC's. It gets to the "meat" of the subject, but should not bore you too much with the esoterica of the subject. Also, rest assured that almost no one knows everything there is to know, about CODEC's - things change too quickly in the marketplace.

Good luck,

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, John T., has already posted that link to the CODEC a Primer article - still, "I approve that message... "

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Did you capture the video from this miniDV camcorder with Premiere Elements, over a FireWire connection?

If so, editing should fly on your system!

It could be that your hard drives are not properly set up, and that is affecting performance. Restart your computer and go into your computer's BIOS (press F1 or ESC or whatever it says on the logo screen, before Windows starts to boot up) and make sure your drives are set up properly in your BIOS as well as in your operating system.

I assume your project file is in a folder (not in the main directory!) on your second SATA drive, right?

And are you running version 10 64-bit of Premiere Elements on a 64-bit operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

Something is terribly wrong! You said your camcorder is a Canon Optura 300. The specs I've found online call this a tape-based miniDV camcorder.

Is that not right?

If you are capturing miniDV over a Firewire connection, you should NOT get H.264 video. You should get DV-AVIs, the ideal format for editing in Premiere Elements.

Am I misunderstanding something? Or are you not recording to tape? (The cam also shoots in DigiDV, which I recommend against. Shoot to your tape and capture your video over a FireWire connection and you should see amazing performance with this program!)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

I agree. That H.264 AVCHD is not what I expected, if the files were Captured from miniDV tape. Something IS amiss here.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 7:05 AM   in reply to nuttupeditor

When I encounter a new/unknown CODEC, the first thing that I do is Google. In the case of "DIB (_RGB" I found a lot of discussions, but none with a lot of details - just people having issues with files, that G-Spot reports with that CODEC.

I would try MediaInfo, to see what it says about the files.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

"AVI's were originally recorded analog and converted to DVD using "VHS to DVD" software from honestech. I then converted them to AVI using "AVS video converter"

Unless the AVS Video Converter includes the option to output DV video, I'd stay away from it. All you're doing is converting to a format that the program STILL can't work with without converting itself.

Does the AVS include the option to output 720x480 DV?

Though actually this is a pretty convoluted method to get your media anyway. Why not open a project set up for Hard Disk Camcorder 720x480 and then use the Premiere Elements Get Media tool to rip the video directly from the video into your project?

At least you'll save yourself a couple conversions. And, after you render your timeline, the DVD video should output a very nice DV-AVI using Share/Computer/AVI, and you can use this DV-AVI in the same project with video from your miniDV cam.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I just checked, and the AVS Converter does not have the DV output option, so it's probably not the best choice for converting your video.

If you still want to try converting, use one of these options at these settings.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

But it might be just as easy to just go directly from DVD, as I described above.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points