Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

AE fails to load PRM plugin

Jan 19, 2012 3:05 PM

Tags: #error #after_effects #exporter_api

I build an Exporter plugin for Premiere as a dot PRM file.  Zal Lam says I need to put it into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS5.5\MediaCore folder so the render will be seen in the queue and access MediaCore libraries. 

After Effects is trying to load my Premiere Exporter plug-in and giving a failed to load warning. 

How do I make my Premiere plug-in only be seen by Premiere and not also by After Effects?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 19, 2012 3:18 PM   in reply to BillClag

What specifically does the warning say?  Can you type out the wording or post a screengrab?  Thanks Bill.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to BillClag

Does your exporter entry point ever get hit?  For example, is it being sent exSelStartup?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to BillClag

But does the entry point for your Premiere Pro exporter get hit?  Do you get any selectors on startup sent to xSDKExport?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to BillClag

Bill sent his exporter over offline.  For those following the thread, here's my findings:

Ah, so it has a DLL dependency on libxml2.dll.  Turns out in my PPro 5.5.2 installation, that file no longer is there, and it’s replaced by libxml2-2.dll, so the exporter doesn’t load in my PPro 5.5.2 either.  So you’ll probably want to not assume the file is already there from the PPro installation.

When you launch AE, it loads the exporter plug-ins, although they won’t show up in the UI.  This is because the MediaCore libraries are present in both PPro and AE, and those libraries do provide limited export support in AE, although third-party exporters don’t show up in the UI.  So you could either (1) supply the libxml*.dll file to AE so that it loads properly, or (2) use the blacklist functionality as follows: In the same folder as the exporter, you’ll want to search for a file named “Blacklist After Effects.txt”.  If it exists, add a line with “SDK_Exporter” to it, or whatever your exporter filename is, without the extension.  Otherwise, just create the file and add the line.

Sounds like you’d be interested to have support for third-party exporters in After Effects, so that you wouldn’t need to write a separate plug-in for export from AE.  I’ll add your name to the list of requestors for feature F27005.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to BillClag

Glad that works for you Bill!

To supply the libxml2.dll file to AE, what I should have said is that you would need to add it to the folder that contains the AE executable; adding it to the MediaCore folder it won't be found by the DLL loader.

I think the shim exporter technique you used for PPro won't work well in AE.  The only way to add 3rd party export currently is via the AEIO API, described in the AE SDK.  But the QuickTime export uses an exporter plug-in like PPro.  To translate messages between the AEIO API and the exporter API may provide to be unwieldy.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to BillClag

I tested your plug-in with Audition and it doesn't pop any error.  I believe AE is the only one that will present a message to the user if a plug-in fails to load.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points