Skip navigation
GotDesign01
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS5.5 won't play

Dec 23, 2011 7:34 AM

Tags: #adobe #mac #audio #premiere #5.5 #audition #audition_cs5.5 #playback_issues

MacBook Pro 17"

2.2GHz Intel Core i7

8Gb RAM

Audition was working nicely.  Now over the past 2 weeks, it won't play anything.  I've tried MP3 files, WAVs, audio exported from Premiere....nothing is working.

Help!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Calculating status...
    Dec 23, 2011 7:37 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

Do you get an error message? Can you see the cursor and level meters moving, but hear no sound? What is your audio setup?

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 23, 2011 8:25 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

GotDesign01 wrote:

The CTI won't move.  It's not playing, there is no sound to hear.  Nothing is happening.  No error messages, nothing.  I open a file, it renders the waveform... and just sits there.  I pressed the play button...nothing.  Spacebar... nothing.

If the transport won't start, it means that Audition is disconnected from your sound device. That's about the only thing that will cause this to happen. In other words, no active sound device is allocated to it; without this, nothing.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 23, 2011 9:22 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

As far as Audition is concerned, look in Preferences at the Audio Hardware setup - whatever shows in there is what you've got.

If nothing shows there, then I have no idea of what you do, because you're running a Mac. By and large we only speak PC here, although it's just possible that somebody might pick it up...

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 23, 2011 11:40 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

GotDesign01 wrote:

How can I get this message bumped/copied ove to the "Audition for Mac" forum?

Hehe! Best one I've heard all day!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 23, 2011 4:02 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Audition seems to be too highly developed.

I could not record anything unless the Speaker and Microphone were set to the same Hz rate.

Thst so silly.

even a 32kbps low quality sound plays well on my speakers so, why connectiong input and output sound quality/Hz?

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 2:19 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

Why is it silly that the record and playback sample rate have to match?  If you think about it, when you're recording, the sound you're listening to is looped through your sound interface.  If the rates don't match, it'll stop working because from your description, you're probably using something like a simple Realtek which can only do one thing at a time.

Really, the inbuilt sound cards on most computers are NOT designed for any serious recording--they're far more suitable just for watching Youtube or making Skype calls.  However, you CAN use it if your really must--but it'll get confused trying to handle two sample rates at once.

It's not anything silly in Audition--it's a limitation of your sound card and operating system.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 3:04 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

There are many users on this forum who might be inclined to disagree with you! 

BTW, I'm not one of them; for me it does exactly what I need it to do.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 24, 2011 6:01 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

This thread is full of little gems!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 6:27 AM   in reply to emmrecs

BTW, I'm not one of them; for me it does exactly what I need it to do.

For me for example it doesnt do one thing...record system sound.

W7 allows to record system sound, XP doesnt. Sadly that option doesnt exist...unless someone disagrees amd tells me how to record system sound with Audition...

Right now only my Camtasia records that.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 6:57 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Audition has nothing to do with all those routing things--that's handled by the control panel for your sound card.  On my old XP laptop the internal sound card gave me an option called "What U Hear" and that gave me system sounds.  As I recall (I'm not on that machine right now) the default setting did NOT show all the possible sources--you had to tick boxes beside the ones you wanted to see.

Actually, you're one of the few lucky ones to be able to record system sounds in Windows 7.  The OS provides for this but the vast majority of computer manufacturers are disabling this function under pressure from the recording industry.  Have a look at how often the question is asked in this forum....

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 8:27 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

Go into your Core Audio settings.  You need to match the record and playback bits to the same sample rate.  On a Mac, that is the place to start.  If you are exporting from Premiere into Audition you will need to set your playback engine to match whatever your Premiere session was set.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 4:00 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

"Actually, you're one of the few lucky ones to be able to record system sounds in Windows 7."

Its not only me.

We tried to record system sound in Indonesia and it didnt work....

I said change from XP to W7...

The guy changed and it worked.

Thats why I think the windows7 provides for that while earlier versions dont.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2011 4:03 PM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Oh, for older systems you can just plug audio-out into mic-in and you can record system sound.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Dec 25, 2011 2:28 AM   in reply to Eireannsg1

Eireannsg1 wrote:

"Actually, you're one of the few lucky ones to be able to record system sounds in Windows 7."

Its not only me.

We tried to record system sound in Indonesia and it didnt work....

I said change from XP to W7...

The guy changed and it worked.

Thats why I think the windows7 provides for that while earlier versions dont.

I think that this is completely wrong, and back to front - Bob is quite correct. It works easily with XP on most systems, and is a right PITA with W7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to GotDesign01

I had the same problem, the solution turned out to be banal. I went to the Preferences of Audition to verify if I had the Audio Hardware settings set up right (I use loudspeakers or headphones, and every time I change the output, I need to change it in the Preferences). That setting was set right, to the headphones, though. So, just to see what will happen, I changed it to Built-in Output and a dialog box appeared: Device changes can modify....etc. Previously I clicked "No" and I still had the problem. So this time I clicked "Yes" and the problem was solved. (Of course to be able to hear, I changed back to headphones)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points