Skip navigation

What would you like to see improved in LR4?

Jan 18, 2012 5:04 PM

Latest reply: monkkxfr, Feb 3, 2012 4:26 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to LuxMirabilis

How unfriendly is it to get to full screen mode.  F5 and then F6, plus three pushes on the "F" key. Roll on version 5.  Version 4 beta GUI is not there yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to lcgo33

Improvements I would like to see in LR4, Book Module:

1) Templates with an aspect ratio of 3:2 which would concide with most DSLRs pics.

2) Ability to change the aspect ratio of the pic template as you sometimes crop to a different aspect ratio than the native ratio.

Thanks!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to cerity

cerity wrote:

How unfriendly is it to get to full screen mode.  F5 and then F6, plus three pushes on the "F" key. Roll on version 5.

Uh, try F, F, Shift/Tab...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 10:26 PM   in reply to LuxMirabilis

LuxMirabilis wrote:

You know about turning off those panels don't you? And you can do that in a number of ways, on-demand and dynamically...

That's not really my point.  Ok take another 3 column program, Mac Mail for instance and see how easily space can be saved.

LR crushed without content:

wos.jpg

This is mail, I couldn't crush it because the scroll bars are only visible when you actually scroll (overlay the content) and the image wouldn't be visible to the human eye.

Screen Shot 2012-01-22 at 13.16.44.jpg

I'm just saying, there is absolutely no need for all these borders within LR, it's nonsense.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 1:35 AM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

LR will get there eventually with a one clic solution. Hey, CS5 only took12 revisions. Guess it's a cashflow management issue

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to Simon Full

Those scroll bars take some space up.

BTW going back into Photoshop after using Lightroom for a while makes me miss the white space LR has.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 5:20 AM   in reply to lcgo33

Please! let me delete photographs in Collections -- obviously Adobe thinks this would have us causing accidents or something like that, but that is "my" decision, not theirs.

I have it kludged, but its not nice.

I would also like stacks in collections -- althought for that one I can see the problems, since not all the members might be in the collection -- but it would still be nice.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 5:56 AM   in reply to Dennis Smith

Stacks are now available in Collections

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 6:21 PM   in reply to lcgo33

I use Lightroom and Photoshop for a living,

Make auto tune as good as it can be!! Your Adobe!! Make that thing something increadable!! Oh and make it as good as Auto Levels in Photoshop please!! Anything I take to Photoshop from Lightroom and run auto levels on usualy looks better than auto anything in lightroom. Auto Levels snaps the contrast so well, while the color it changes can be bad at times the contrast it creates without any work at all is rockin!  Holding down the alt key while correcting to see clipping doesnt seem to be that acurate in Lightroom..? It waits to show something is blown out but when you let go of the alt key its way beyond blown out..? Make it work and be as acurate as Levels.

Make a few differnt auto tune settings. The one now usualy blows out most images..

I love lightroom and couldnt live without it.

Thanks for this great software, Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2012 11:20 PM   in reply to lcgo33

I'd love to have the ability to move between one control and the next using ideally the TAB / SHIFT button, rather than having to click from exposure to contrast to highlight.....

My post on this as a reference

hamish NIVEN Photography

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to hamish niven

I would like to disable RAW+JPEGs stacks for certain photographs.

This makes sense if

a) the JPEG has nicer colors than the original

b) the picture is not important enough to keep the RAW data

c) in cases the RAW-JPEG stack is corrupt (JPEG or RAW was deleted outside)

Having this possiblity would make a big difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to Julian_z

I would like to have the ability to freeze virtual copies specifically made for softproofs so that:

- thumbnails (in the library etc) always show the softproof version (and not a weird ultra contrast version of my photo)

- when I go to develop such a vitual copie, it automatically switches to softproof mode (no matter what mode I was in before)

I 'd also like to have some kind of visual indicator on the thumbail so that I can immediatly recognize it's a softproof (when browsing the library etc..)

And finally I'd love to have filters for softproofs (show only photos with Kodak Metallic softproof etc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to hamish niven

Can't you?

I can move between controls in Develop or Metadat Editor if I enter the text/number box.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Hi Dorin

You talking to me?

Dont follow your text/number box, enter what? a number? click on it?

hamish NIVEN Photography

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to hamish niven

You talking to me?

Yes.

I mean, in Develop you can adjust everything with sliders, but you can also type in the numbers directly into a text box next to each slider. If you do this, you can then move between each control using Tab/Shift-Tab.

And, of course, when you're in a text box, you can use Up/Down and Shift-Up/Shift-Down to increse or decrease the value.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

hmmmm, Dorin

may try that, thanks for the idea. just push the numbers up by pressing them, rather than as you said, using the up/down  etc keys.

Its not as ideal as I'd like as I'm not a good typist, so I'd still be looking at the keys to type 23, rather than 35 etc.

But that is why they invented workarounds.

Well my request in the LR 4 Forum still stands.

Thanks for the quick reply...

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to hamish niven

Hamish

I appreciate the effort you are making to make your needs known with a polite approach and your desire to effect changes in LR.  If I understand correctly, you want to be able to easily make adjustments in the develop basic panel without using the mouse or typing in the control values.  Several individuals have explained how you can do this.  If you really want to see changes in Lightroom I suggest you try this formula:

1. Take the time to learn how Lightroom functions and ask how to do something before asking for a change.
    2. Explain why the existing functionality does not achieve a specific goal.  Take the time to think about how this might have larger impacts on the program.

If you ask for a change to something that can already be done, you damage your credibility with the Adobe personnel reading the request.  Remember, it does not really matter what other users think, other than gaining their support.  You need to convince Adoble.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to hillrg

H

I thought my "are you talking to me" was a great movie reference and so did Dorin, unless he's confided in you to the opposite.

I have looked for solutions to mysuggestion and I did not find them, maybe I should have looked harder, I'm sorry, I did not.

I've read the replies, I 've tried them, I've implemented them and I've found some of them wanting and some of them plain don't work properly. I will try to use the , and . hopefully they will work for me.

maybe it aint broke so don't fix it,

re the already can be done.

There is a program / application standard that uses the tab button for shifting focus, that was my logic, and rather than repeat myself, I put the link to where I've had more helpful replies, and since then we have spotted something that may as well be a bug, so that may help others in time to come as well.

I would not have wasted your time nor others on this suggestion, if I did not think it was relevant, or an apt suggestion.

Thanks for your formula.

Work arounds are ways of doing things that can already be done, but most people prefer more direct routes, I find it easier to flick my little pinky on the tab key as its larger than trying to hit the , or . as they are much smaller keys and sometimes I hit the / or M or even zoom in with the space key.

On following  the link to see what I was talking about, you'd see more of what I suggested and know that I said Tab / shift TAB is intuitive and  many many programs that most people use, so I suggested that as my motivation.

Your last comment was also suitably interesting,  I don't expect a plus one from you and so far my suggestion has got precisely 0, null zilch llarregub thumbs up, so maybe its not a good one. maybe I was being too social media / pick me / pick me.

I appreciate what you are telling me, and thanks for letting me know that you are worried that Adobe may think I may be either stupid or incredible. They may have considered my suggestion but decided that opening panels was more useful with tab rather than open with . and close with ,  I don't know.

I have read several tomes on LR and played with most of the iterations since LR 0.x appeared for pc. I use it for 4 -15 hours /day on the days I'm not shooting, and I'm still learning new tricks, which is always a delight - even if they are not how I'd like to do things, and back we are to why I actually suggested this as something I'd like to see in LR4 final.

you listening to me?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:27 AM   in reply to hamish niven

hamish niven wrote:

you listening to me?

Of course.  Maybe not sympathetic or agreeing,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to hillrg

that is what forums are for

Glad we kissed and made up.

I'd like to see a great list of improvements in LR, and this and the  LR4 suggestions and bug reports forum has some esoteric, some viable, some laughable and some plausible ideas / suggestions and the like.

Some on this list will never happen, I know several of mine are unlikely but I know that LR is moving in a direction guided or rather moved by users ideas and suggestions, needs wishes and dreams.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to lcgo33

New tiny improvement: please add a delay to the showing of hidden areas like the module bar at the top. Every time you accidentally mouse over it when selecting filters, it will show right away. It sometimes drives me nuts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 12:11 PM   in reply to Tony MacLean

Tony MacLean wrote:

Please please let me add a title (and sub title prefereably) to contact sheets. Why Adobe consider I would only want to do this on web galleries and slide shows but not printed contact sheets I simply don't understand - it's so basic. If only they would implement this tiny improvement I'd buy the product in a heartbeat, but while Lightroom doesn't and Aperture does why bother.

A photo title (as in metadata) or a per-page title.  The former can be done using the Photo Info checkbox.  The latter could be worked around using the ID place, if it helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 24, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to Dennis Smith

Dennis Smith wrote:

Please! let me delete photographs in Collections -- obviously Adobe thinks this would have us causing accidents or something like that, but that is "my" decision, not theirs.

Try the 'splat-delete'.  Hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift while pressing Delete, or Cmd-Opt-Shift Delete for Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I realise this, but the ID place holder is really for identifing me as the photographer which is why, usefully, it can either be used for text or a logo. So Adobe realise that identifying the individual images is important (file names under each image) and identifying me as the photographer is important, but for some reason a heading that identifies the job or session is not required.

It's weird, the contact sheet tool in Photoshop is even worse, whilst every other contact sheet creation tool out there provides this basic function, it would be so usefull not to have to go to another program just to print contacts. Perhaps I'm the only photographer that uses Adobe products, who prints reference sheets for his customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 2:15 PM   in reply to lcgo33

Improved speed and responsiveness would be great, however what i would really like to see is improvements in the presets etc where you can have sub folders.  For example i have a preset folder called "My Presets" then sub folders in that called "B & W" and "Colour" and "Spec Effects".  At the moment all we have is presets in one folder depth which makes it cumbersome and not very user friendly if you have a resonable number of presets.

**Edit** Sorry i realised this was the wrong forum and on top of that understand that that the feature has already been implemented in LR4.  Sorry all

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 25, 2012 4:27 AM   in reply to Tony MacLean

I think it's a good request Tony.  This forum is primarily focused on the new features and bugs in the beta release, so it'll be closed when the beta finishes.  The best place to get your requests considered is the Feature Request forum http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family because others can also add their votes so Adobe can see which requests are most popular, and the requests can be easily tracked.  They stand a much better chance of getting attention there too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to lcgo33

Hi,

my feedback:

About sliders utilisation:

- in dual screen, with a fast mouse, it becomes hard to catch the sliders. What about drawing a circle around the triangle of the sliders, to show the "mouse over" area for the slider? (which would be larger than the horizontal bar in which we can click also)

- in brush mode, the shortcuts for keyboard adjustment of sliders + and < are not available as for development. Why? It is trikky to set a "-0.27" value to exposure.. in dual screen.. when the soft takes half a second to move (not specificaly due to dual screen pbs of LR4 beta : it was the same in LR3). When sliders response is not that good, keyboard and shortcuts become very important.

- is it necessary sliders scale to be linear..? The slights adujstments arrond "zero" could be expanded.

Conclusion: I wonder what percentage of LR users will have an "instant" response of sliders.. I bet it is a minority.Then some facilities could be setup so that sliders utilisation don't become tiring after 2 hours.I guess there will not be the "miracle" improvement that makes everything rapid. But some improvements can be elaborated dealing with ergonomy, beside pure timing optimisations.

About picture enhancement:

- i'm missing a different "constrast" behaviour for local adjustments : in photoshop a very efficient way to boost pictures, is to select an area (a sky for example), then narrow the histogram on it: the clear but not fully white areas will become darker, then the sky takes contrast. I don't manage to do so in LR... not more with exposure, highlights adjustment. In LR the local adjustement "contrast" will make clearer any area over 50%, while the reference could be the area of the brush.

ciao and welcome LR4

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Thanks Victoria, I'll head on over there. I appreciate your input.

Cheers

Tony

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 1, 2012 8:00 PM   in reply to lcgo33

I don't know if someone already said this, but I'd really like to see movable brush points. The way they are now (permanent) it's near useless to copy/paste them between similar images. Places they need to cover on the images aren't usually on the same spot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to lcgo33

I would like to see a 'reverse' option for brush zones. In other words one-click to turn a brushed area into a masked area. That way user can modify backgrounds and leave circle of interest un-touched.  Elementary !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 3:21 AM   in reply to cerity

Workflow: - shortlisting with Survey View

I would like to see 'Collection set' folders with a filter capability.  All collection and Smart Collections within this folder would then have the primary Collection Set filter functions applied - no need to repeat primary filters with Collections.

Ex

Collection Set - filters by Folder

To grade and short list images within Floder then is automatic via 4 Smart Collections wihin the Set.

Smart Collection 1  -  no stars

Smart Collection 2 -  1 or 2 stars

Smart Collection 3 - 2 or 3 stars

etc

It then becomes a dream to view complete contents of any Smart Collection via Survery View increasing or reducing start ratings. The Survey View adjusts to suit as the re rated images jump to the adjacent Smart Collection.

At present a Folder filter has to be embeded and changed in every Smart Collection instead of in the Collection Set.

Its a dream when shortlisting images infront of Client

|
    Mark as:

Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață wrote:

I mean, in Develop you can adjust everything with sliders, but you can also type in the numbers directly into a text box next to each slider. If you do this, you can then move between each control using Tab/Shift-Tab.

And, of course, when you're in a text box, you can use Up/Down and Shift-Up/Shift-Down to increse or decrease the value.

Unfortunately Tab/Shift-Tab does not work in panels of Graduated Filter and Adjustment Brush.

Would love to have this ability.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to cerity

Hi cerity,

If you do not use the crop tool for aligning, but rotation in Lens Corrections, you can leave "constrain crop" unticked. Then you have background-grey extra canvas. Maybe you need to downs-scale lower than 100 as well, to get everything back in view, as Rikk said.

No idea how this behaves in Photoshop - try it out.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to lcgo33

I would like to see the ability to rearrange the development panels. That is I would like to move the "lens corrections" to before the "basic". As I now use them I close all except lens corrections, Do the corrections & then go to basics & so on. Its done in Photoshop, put the panels you use where you need them. Not a big item but one that reflects my preferred workflow.

Thanks

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

"If you do not use the crop tool for aligning, but rotation in Lens Corrections, you can leave "constrain crop" unticked. Then you have background-grey extra canvas. Maybe you need to downs-scale lower than 100 as well, to get everything back in view, as Rikk said."

Brilliant Cornelia - best reply yet !

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Bob Darby

Hi Bob,

maybe the pain with the order of the development panels could be eased, if you work with opening them by "<ctrl> # " ?

You would then start with <ctrl> 6 for lens corrections, then continue with <ctrl> 1 for basic panel.

Others with <ctrl> 7 for camera profile, before basic panel.

With a Wacom pen in my writing hand and the other on the keyboard this works quite well for me. Can also be well used in solo mode.

Even if not, the panel comes right into focus, so I never have to scroll. Same command toggles closed/open.

(Should you wish to adress the left panels, you have to add <shift> to <ctrl> (<cmd> on a Mac).)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to lcgo33

the .gpx files that can be imported in LR4 have a size limitation that is too low imho. A 12MB gpx files can't be imported, and I have many of them, often even larger than that.

Please increase the size limitation to a much higher size

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points