Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Offset Printing Question

Jan 23, 2012 5:34 AM

Hello,

I need an advise on how to print a very deep blue color on offset printing. I am doing a catalog for an artist who uses very nice deep blue color. His technique of applying the color is very special, so when seen with human eye it is very illuminating. Professional photo can capture the effect decently, but numerous trials on different publications show that offset printing can't get anywhere close to the original color by the artist. Sometimes it gets muddy grayish blue, but sometimes it gets more to the purple side with a lot of magenta in it.

If you are curious what kind of art I am talking about, you may visit www.chimeddorj.com

The reason is that cyan, magenta and a bit of black can't really create a pure Cobalt Blue. So I was thinking if there was a way to add an additional printing separation for a pure blue color from Pantone. That way the Spot Pantone blue that is closest to the artist's color will act as a base and CMYK color will add necessary shades depending on the situation.

Does it sound reasonable? Does any one think it will work?  I need your opinions or expertises.

Also, do you know any other web sites with forums specifically dedicated to commercial print topics?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to generalbatzorig

The best thing you can do is use printed color reference guides, whether it be Pantone or TOYO.  Use an actual guide book swatch to compare which Pantone ( or whatever specialty ink supplier ) color comes closest to the artists actual print ( not the monitor ).  You are correct in recommending a spot color instead of process color on press.  However, process inks on press are semi-transparent and spot colors are opaque.  So, they cannot be mixed on press without creating a real mess.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

Window > Swatch Libraries > Toyo > Trumatch > VisiBone2 ; are three possibles found in Ai ( Illustrator ).  You could also do a web search using keywords like: offset printing specialty inks.  There is a slim possibility that you might have some luck by doing a double strike or triple strike on the Process Cyan ( i.e., instead of one layer of Cyan, you could experiment with 2 or 3 layers to see if the Blue's intensity gets to where you want it; however, you'd be hard pressed to find a print vendor willing to experiment ).  Then, you could add in some Black if need be.  That's why I say you'd be better off finding a Spot Color that comes close to the artist's Cobalt Blue.  At least you'd have some predictability.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 3:01 PM   in reply to John Danek

Spot colors are usually not opaque. In fact nearly all Pantone colors are transparent. If you are looking to increase color depth you may want to look into adding a "bump" color which is sometimes referred to as a Touch color. You can print your normal CMYK and, where you need extra depth, you would hit that area with a 5th color. The would be done with a plate that contains a fifth separation. The color should be a light version of a PMS group which matches what you are trying to obtain. This is often done on high end product brochures and annual reports. You can read a bit about it here:

http://www.printindustry.com/Newsletters/Newsletter-53.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to vdivito1

No.  Pantone Spot colors are not transparent.  I disagree.  Some are actually mixed with opaque White.  The newsletter posted above refers to adding a fifth color "touch" pass...not a mix of Process and Pantone Spot colors.  There is a risk of consistency when you create a special "mix" of colors, which is not the same as mixing 4-c process inks with premixed Pantone Spot color.  They are incompatable...for good reason.  No one wants anyone mixing colors willy nilly.  So, in order to proceed, you would need to create a fifth color channel and print that in addition to the process color.  Which is what I was talking about in the first place. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2012 12:50 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

These are really good pieces. What techniques have you been using for the separation of colors? Maybe you can recycle the techniques a bit. Here, I found a something that might be of use to you: http://www.confessionsofaphotoshopnerd.com/blog/2011/1/27/how-to-separ ate-colours-in-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to generalbatzorig

Try attaching a composite image here, I can split the channels on my end.  Adobe tries to keep everyone's info private.  If you want to try, you could write you e-mail here and I could respond to it, but that might not fly either.  You could use a third party upload site and just send the link here.  I am glad to hear you are a bit closer on-press.  Let's discuss.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 22, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to generalbatzorig

I believe it is better to exchange email addresses through Private Messages than to reveal them in the forums, to avoid less pleasant things.

Just click the avatar of the intended receiver, then click Send private message under Actions at the top right and take it from there.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points