Skip navigation
dafryxell
Currently Being Moderated

Linking issue when INDD files moved to another Mac

Jan 23, 2012 9:36 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs4

We share INDD CS4 files between two Macs. When I create a file and link a bunch of images within it, then move the ENTIRE folder over to Mac #2, all the links are broken--even though the files are in the exact same relationship to each other. So we fix those links, work on the file on Mac #2, then move back to my Mac #1. Now on Mac #1 the links are still OK. But when we move the file to Mac #2 again, they're all broken AGAIN!

Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to dafryxell

Use a dropbox folder.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to dafryxell

Go to file > Package. It will package your original document, the links, the fonts used, and a readme file all into one folder. Then copy the entire folder to your other computer. Just replace the .indd file every time you switch it to a new computer and it will pick up the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to dafryxell

Are the links showing as missing, or as modified?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:36 AM   in reply to dafryxell

And all of the links are definitely in the same folder as the .indd file? I would expect modified warnings, but not missing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to dafryxell

Why are you doing this in the first place? If you need to share, then put the stuff on a network drive accessible to both of you.

End of problem.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to dafryxell

And where are the links that are NOT in subfolders of the folder with the .indd? Are ANY links not broken?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to dafryxell

dafryxell wrote:

Even links to images that originate on Mac#2 will show up as missing after

the INDD is copied back to Mac#1, edited and copied back to Mac #2.

Is that true if you DON'T relink on Mac #1?

There's something very weird about what's going on, and I bet it has to do with how the Macs are formatted, but I'm far from expert on Mac file system structures.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to dafryxell

Check the Links panel for details on where the INDD file expects to find the linked files. That should clear that up for you.

My suspicion is that because InDesign uses absolute links in it's file paths -- and I suspect that is the culprit -- maybe Mac #1 and Mac #2 have different hard drive names or at least different file paths.

Network drives aren't perfect solutions either. We've been having a related problem where network drive filehandles are not closing properly, causing the link to show up as /Volumes/NetworkDrive-1/etc... instead of /Volumes/NetworkDrive/etc... If you can do complete passes of the file and its content, use CMachad's suggestion of using the Package feature. Otherwise, you'll have to relink back and forth.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to dafryxell

in Preferences > File Handling > there is also a checkbox to "find missing links before opening document". Usually turned on I think, but check for it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points