Skip navigation
B__R
Currently Being Moderated

Couple of Questions

Jan 22, 2012 7:40 PM

Highlight Clipping

In Develop, when moving the exposure slider to the right with Show Highlight Clipping enabled, highlights in the image becomes obviously saturated before the overlay indicates clipping is occuring. Clipping appears to be indicated when R, G or B reach 99.8. But the image highlights definitely look saturated before this, when R, G and B have values like 99.3 or so.

Add Folder

Lets say I have two folders, "All Photos" and "Selected Photos" on my hard drive, the latter being initially empty. I import the photos from All Photos resulting in such a folder name showing up under Folders in Library. I then select particular photos and want to move them to Selected Photos from within LR. If I click on + to add a folder and browse to Selected Photos, it says "no photos found" and my only option is to Cancel. So how do you move photos within LR to another folder that has no items in it? I ended up putting a single extraneous photo in Selected Photos and imported it into LR. That way Selected Photos at least showed up under Folders and I was able to move my other photos to that folder, after which I deleted the extraneous one.

I'm new to LR so I know this may not be the best way to do things, but I have collections of selected photo folders from various dates and didn't want to change it all at this time.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 22, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to B__R

The first isn't a question, and you figured out the second.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 8:13 AM   in reply to B__R

The overlay has always seemed to be a blunt instrument. How do you find the display of clipping if you hold down the Alt/Opt key while moving the slider? Also, that may be something that you need to be in 1:1 to see properly.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,863 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 23, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to B__R

I used to trust these clipping warnings in ACR but now I’m not so sure. It’s even more worrying with the out of gamut soft proofing. Maybe we just have to trust our own eyes and work out an acceptable tolerance guidance and apply it to our own work.

White snow and white wedding dresses have always been a particular challenge for generations of photographers.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to B__R

B__R wrote:

If I hold down the Option key, the indication of clipping starts at the same exposure level as when not holding down the key. Also same behavior at 1:1. I'm looking at the image of a snow-covered field and the image obviously get blown out before clipping is indicated.

Is there some preference that defines the level for clipping?

Thanks.

The new process (PV 2012) attempts to rescue bright highlights before they start clipping by compressing them in a film-like rolloff fashion. This causes the detail in the highlights to fade before they actually become clipped. In the old version (PV 2010 which is used in LR 3) they would just completely blow out. You will see this in the histogram by the bunching that occurs in that region instead of the clipping that you would have seen in LR 3 or that you will see in LR 4 when you select the old process. In general this should lead to better highlight detail even if you clip them and that is what I generally see. You do need to have a well calibrated monitor though that is not set too bright and that can resolve shades of white well. If you go here: http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_sensitivity.htm l what differences can you see in the right column? On a good, well calibrated monitor, you should be able to see the split in cells number 2 and 3 from the bottom in the right most column (255). If you can't it is likely that you are not actually blowing out but that your monitor is not able to show the detail that is still there to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to B__R

The splits in those cells should be a little hard to see. The fact that you

see it is a good sign. You can't change the point where clipping is

indicated unfortunately. When you push highlights to the brink, you should

use whites, not highlights to bring them back. This is different than in LR

3. In LR 4, highlights are light areas, not the very bright highlights that

are now called white areas. A little confusing indeed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 8:37 PM   in reply to B__R

I have a question in this realm as well:  in order to bring back highlight detail and clipping on the histogram, should I use the highlights control or whites?  It seems that the highlight slider works better, but if I grab the histogram to make adjustments, and select the far right side to bring the clipping back to the left, that seems to adjust whites.  Adjusting whites seems to mess up the whole overall brightness of the image where highlights just seems to focus on the highlights specifically.  Is the order from the top of the sliders out of order, perhaps this might be a better order? Exposure, Contrast, Whites, Blacks, Highlights and then Shadows?  Although I find the controls are way better (and consequently the results) in pv2012, I'm having to spend more time fiddling to get the look I'm trying to achieve.  Maybe I just need to get to know the controls better and anticipate how to make the necessary changes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points