Exit

Sharing Comments between different Content Categories

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

For the record, I'm using RH HTML 9.

I am producing a Air Hel output, in which I have more than one content category (for instance Supervisor and Staff). I was wondering if there was a way to set it up so that the Supervisors could see the Staff comments, as well as their own comments?

I'm guessing it could work both ways: since some topics are hidden to the Staff, they will not see the comments on those topics anyway. Basically, can the comments be shared among the different content categories?

As always, thank you very much for your help.

Marie-Ève

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have had some difficulties getting it all set up the first time but it's a bit unfair to call it AIR Hel.

When you create content categories there is effectively an output for each category. If all the topics are unique to a particular category, then a Supervisor can see Staff topics with their comments and Staff can see Supervisor topics with their comments. When a user has selected a particular category, then All Comments should only be for that category. Any user can select any category but that changes the definition of All, it means All for that category.

You have raised an interesting point here. Let's take a scenario where there is a topic in your help that you put in both categories. That topic will have a copy in both categories. What happens if you are looking at MyTopic with Supervisor selected and make comment? You are looking at that topic in the Supervisor output and making your comment against that copy. If you now change to Staff category you are looking at a different copy so will you see the comments made by the supervisor. There are arguments as to why the comments should not be shared between the two but it needs some testing.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hahaha! Sorry for the typo...and thanks for the laugh!

I guess the easy answer would be simply asking Supervisors to select the Staff category when they want to see their staff's comments. I just wanted to make sure that if a topic requires more documentation from a user point of view, the supervisor would escalate it to us so we could improve our Help system.

Thanks for your help Peter, and have a great day.

ME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested the "same" topic in three categories. RoboHelp does treat them as separate topics and I would guess the logic is you might not want a Supervisor comment to appear where other people can see it.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We had the samme issues... I would love to see an option such as show/display comments for all content categories.

A lot of the time the content is the same for all categories, what changes is their TOC or menus. It's a lot of work to go through all categories one by one to retrieve comments.

We have many of them such a Animation/Modeling/Rigging etc etc... Our readers use all off them, so it's not the typical scenario staff/supervisor.

Worst if by mistake you rename a categorie then its comments won't load anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have covered why I think things are the way they are but I do recognise different people will have different requirements, some will want to show comments across categories and some will have good reason for not doing that. It needs to be configurable.

Good point on renaming categories - I assume you have tested a simple rename does create the problem.

You should submit a feature request. Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp