Skip navigation
Kurkosdr
Currently Being Moderated

Bad upscaling on youtube using Flash Player 11.1

Jan 6, 2012 1:44 PM

Hi there,

I am running Firefox 9.0.1 with the latest Flash Player 11.1 r102. My PC has Windows 7 32bit as the OS and ATI Radeon Mobility X1600 for GPU.

For some reason, the upscaling on youtube videos isn't smooth anymore, everything is pixelated even in 720p videos. In fact, no real upscaling filter is applied, the picture looks like it was stretched with microsoft paint. Older versions worked fine (video was upscaled with VLC-like quality)

Here is a sample:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/badflash.png

Is this related somehow to this bug, or is it a new bug?

PS: I am starting to think that the reason people never update their systems (and particularly their flash), is because they are afraid of breakages like this one...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2012 4:47 PM   in reply to Kurkosdr

Please post screenshots directly here at the forum, using the camera icon.  I am not going to click on links that lead to a 3rd-party server.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to Kurkosdr

One of the first things I would try is to either disable Hardware Acceleration (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337)

or update the device drivers for your display adapter (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/945765).

The next thing I would try is checking if Flash Player 11.2 beta still has the same problem.  (But I am guessing that 11.2 will possibly be released anyway next week.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to Kurkosdr

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to Kurkosdr

Kurkosdr wrote:

What causes my computer not to have hardware acceleration with Flash?

Without knowing your driver details (or being an Adobe genius ), I suspect your comment earlier in the thread gives us a clue:

Kurkosdr wrote:

The X1600 has being officially discontinued

I suspect the driver version is just too old. With that said we are making a change in the 11.2 Flash Player release that will relax our internal driver blacklist for hardware acceleration.  Previous versions of the player would automatically disable acceleration if the driver date was older than 1/1/2009  The new version of the player will lower that to 1/1/2008 and we'll continue to improve this in future releases.

We just updated our labs release to Beta 4.  As Pat mentioned earlier, I'd also recommend giving that build a try.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to Kurkosdr

Kurkosdr,

You are not alone. This happens on some machines with newer Graphics cards. For example on Intel HD graphics with latest available driver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points