Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Timing problem

Jan 24, 2012 9:53 AM

I have all the latest versions of everything so please don't ask me to update something.

I set an MSO to appear after 1 second.

On the iPad it appears after 2 seconds.

On the Galaxy it appears almost immediately.

Thinking about a cache problem, I change the values, create a new folio... same problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 24, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Here’s a tip…don’t expect anyone to assume you know what the latest versions are.

Always state exactly what version you’re using. I can’t count the number of times, I’ve heard, “I’m using the latest version” when they weren’t.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 10:57 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

This is not a positive reply. I'm in computer and graphic design over the last 22 years and I know what is an updated software.

Suit yourself...but troubleshooting 101 is to make sure everyone is on the same page. I wish I had a nickel for everytime somesome said they had the latest and greatest and didn't.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 24, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

Unfortunately, some of the changes that enabled embedded overlays caused the timing issues which you've discovered here. The bug has been logged, but it won't be fixed before the v19 release. Sorry about not catching this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

I am having quite erratic behaviour ( actually non-functional ) MSO animation / slideshows with text.

Anyway I'm looking into what the problem is before I call it Adobe's fault.

As a general rule from experience, never promise a client something you haven't tested or seen to be working yourself, then you'll never be in this situation. Adobe employs humans, not all seeing robots. There are bound to be errors here and there. It happens everywhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 4:52 AM   in reply to ArcInteractive

Oh and the 'general' rule applies especially to time sensitive projects ( which is pretty much everything ).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

This is more than a timing problem. The whole MSO thing is a mess.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 6:47 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Android works fine. I get the intended results ( with my text fade-in test ) in the Android Viewer. Can't test Playbook as there isn't an update for the viewer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 7:00 AM   in reply to ArcInteractive

It’s looking like the bug is in the viewer, then.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 25, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I haven't updated the tools yet but I was sorely tempted as they would have enabled us to do things that we have previously had to compromise on. I am now glad I left it to you guys to feel the pain, sorry but that's the way it is. Adobe's policy of "continuous development" is a sham, in reality we are all still beta testers. As I have suggested many times in the past Adobe should continue to beta test each new version of the tools before releasing them. What Adobe are doing is using us the paying customers as guinea pigs and that is thoroughly unprofessional (please note John Metzger).

This continues to be the worst experience I have had with an Adobe product despite the fact that it is probably the one I have been most enthusiastic about. When it works it is great but so often it doesn’t. Adobe’s reputation is taking a hammering with ADPS, if there was a viable alternative I would ditch it without hesitation. And watch out because Apple (or someone else) may well come up with a publishing solution that cuts the rug from beneath Adobe’s feet.

The sad thing is that nearly all of us are fans of Adobe’s products. You should listen to these (and other critical) comments Adobe and change the way you develop this product. It has to work 100% before you release it to us, your customers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 25, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to blackmountain-agency

In my testing, I noticed erratic behavior if I create multiple MSOs on a page and use the same state names in each MSO. If I change the state names (such as "State 1" to "Red"), the MSOs work as planned. I don't believe this addresses the timing issues, but it may affect some of the other issues reported in this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob Bringhurst - Adobe wrote:

Unfortunately, some of the changes that enabled embedded overlays caused the timing issues which you've discovered here. The bug has been logged, but it won't be fixed before the v19 release. Sorry about not catching this one.

We need some clarity Bob.

The announcement of v18 has disappeared. Does that mean it has been withdrawn?

Are you recommending waiting until v19 is released before for we update tools and if so my view is that this should not be until the iPad Content Viewer has been approved by Apple as this has caused a major problem for many users (who admittedly didn’t read the announcement before rushing off and installing the new tools)?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 26, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

The v18 tools are still available. That announcement just expired. To get embedded overlays to work, the program team rebuilt the overlays for slideshows and buttons. We expected to see bugs and limitations around nested overlays, but the team wanted to avoid introducing errors in existing areas. Unfortunately, a new slideshow bug prevents an autoplaying slideshow from stopping at the last image. It goes back to the first image on the iPad, This bug ruins fade-ins and other effects that rely on stopping on the last image. Other than using HTML, I'm not aware of a workaround.

While we can post hot fixes for the web client and Folio Builder panel, we can't easily post a new set of Folio Producer tools. This bug and others should be fixed in v19 (February), but that's several weeks away. If your design relies on stopping slideshows on the last image and you can't find a workaround, you should roll back to the v17 tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Sorry Bob but that is simply disingenuous. You should post a new announcement explaining the problem with v18 rather than quietly withdrawing the original post. People will go own downloading the new tools without realizing that they have bugs and that there is no iPad Content Viewer. That is irresponsible!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 8:23 AM   in reply to Graham Davis

Graham, when announcements are posted they have expiration dates in them so they don’t sit forever.

It just came off automatically. It’s not a conspiracy theory.

Bob, are you saying this problem is in the tools? I thought it was the viewer.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 26, 2012 8:51 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

I was under the impression that a fix needs to be made to both the tools and the viewer, but it might be just the viewer. I'll check.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks…if it’s just the tools I’ll roll back.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 10:45 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks, please let us know.

Perhaps an announcement or sticky about the MSO bug might be a good idea.

I think I'll stick to v18 anyway, considered rolling back to v17 but I'd lose PDF Pinch & Zoom ( which incidentally reduced my folio size by almost half ). The text crispness is also of course far better than the bitmap alternative!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 26, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to ArcInteractive

Bob, if you roll back to the v17 tools, the "stop at last image" problem will go away. The v17 tools should work fine with the v18 viewers.

The actual bug is in the iPad viewer. This bug should be fixed when the next viewer is released (currently scheduled for February).

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I think I’ll just deal with it for now.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

I have a folio in my library build with v1.7 that has a MSO and stops at last frame (fade in effect) that works and displays FINE on my iPad with viewer 2.3.

But newly build folios with 1.8 do not work fine.

So how come you think its a viewer problem? Looks like a builder problem (again! I mean: again!) to me!

Are we clients now considered your beta-testers...?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,640 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 26, 2012 5:12 PM   in reply to Frans van der Geest

It may appear to be a tools problem, but it's a viewer problem. The MSO code in the v18 Folio Producer tools changed. The new AIR viewers handle it properly while the iPad viewer does not. The new viewers handle the previous MSO code just fine, as you've seen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 2:29 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Oke, I see. The new builder displays 'old code' but can not display 'new' code, but Desktop Preview is oke. Well, that will go down well coming monday during my training session for a big company here in the Netherlands...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)