Skip navigation
brett maxwell
Currently Being Moderated

Did LR4 kill auto-blacks?

Jan 26, 2012 12:12 AM

Tags: #presets #auto-blacks

My default preset I've built in LR3 uses auto-blacks and I find it works wonderfully (info here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/downloads/bookexcerpts/lr3excerpts/lr3sa mple-21-autosliders.pdf).

It seems this ability is gone from the LR4 preset files?  I've tried a number of things with a LR4 preset in a text editor and I can't get anything to work.  When I create a preset using auto-tone, the first few lines are:

AutoBrightness = false,

AutoContrast = false,

AutoExposure = false,

AutoLateralCA = 1,

AutoShadows = false,

AutoTone = true,

No whites or blacks even mentioned?  I tried creating an auto-shadows function (though I'm not ultimately interested in that) since that appears above, and couldn't get that to work either.

Ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 26, 2012 1:38 AM   in reply to brett maxwell

Black is set via Blacks, and older "Exposure" (light clipping) is now set via Whites.

I'm at work, I can't test. Did you try something like "AutoBlacks = true"?

Shadows is something like fill shadows (for values greater than zero). Lower than zero values of Shadows isn't the same as setting Blacks.

|
    Mark as:
  • TK2142
    407 posts
    Jan 20, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to brett maxwell

It appears to me that not "auto blacks" are gone but the option to not have "auto blacks'.

I understand that in LR4 auto blacks are always turned on; likewise highlights are always corrected.

So this should work for you. Others (myself included) regret that it is not possible to turn off such "auto" behaviour.

Hopefully you'll receive an authoritative answer from Eric Chan.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to TK2142

In Lr 4 Beta, auto tone is only wired up for the Exposure slider.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 6:17 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

The most important thing I use Auto Tone for is to find the black-point, so the current operation of only setting Exposure isn’t all that useful.  Is the intent to have Auto Tone do more than Exposure but Auto Tone can be tricky so it wasn’t ready for the beta or is Auto Tone going to be Auto Exposure, only, from now on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Is it going to be the same for the retail version?

An easy way to set the black point for those images where true black is present, would be very useful, as it used to be.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to PaoloAvezzano

Auto Tone will be fleshed out in the final version and will take care of blacks.  It just wasn't ready for the beta.

|
    Mark as:
  • TK2142
    407 posts
    Jan 20, 2010
    Jan 26, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to MadManChan2000

Eric, in the "Develop basic sliders - truly zeroed?" thread (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4128876) you wrote:

"Actually, the new defaults in PV 2012 are the same as the old defaults in PV 2010 rendering-wise, with the minor exception of the (now auto-calculated) black point." (emphasis is mine).

You also wrote in the "Zeroed Defaults vs. Zeroed RAW File?" thread (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/948951):

"highlight recovery is always enabled in PV 2012".

It would be interesting to learn what these auto features do and whether they correspond to anything in LR3.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to TK2142

There is no direct equivalent in Lr 3.

The closest equivalent would be the transition point between using Exposure vs Brightness, or using Blacks slider vs using the Parametric or Point curves.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 1:11 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

But what is automatic about their behaviour?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Dorin, the automatic aspect has to do with the endpoint (i.e., white point & black point) handling.  The shape of the curve is calculated automatically to make transitions smoother as you approach clipping (to pure white or pure black).  Otherwise you'd get the traditional digital "hard clip" which can be rather rough, esp. in the shadows.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to MadManChan2000

If I take a picture of a white wall, will "auto-Blacks" still give me pure black in my picture?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Dorin Nicolaescu-Musteață

Yes and no.  The Whites and Blacks controls have enough range to stretch out the contrast of even very low-contrast images (e.g., ~1/2 stop of dynamic range) to pure white and pure black.  This is actually an improvement over earlier Lr versions, where the range of Blacks was fixed (i.e., you could set Blacks in Lr 3 to its max value of +100 and still not get the darkest part of an image to get anywhere near clipping to pure black).

However, the new auto tone behavior will detect special cases like the "white wall" case you describe and probably not try to stretch out the darkest point automatically to pure black.  (Neither would Lr 3 if the image was light enough to begin with.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points