Skip navigation
Rotaluclac
Currently Being Moderated

Entire computer temporarily hangs during LR startup

Jan 20, 2012 2:12 AM

Tags: #startup #hang #lightroom3.6

When I start Lightroom 3.6, my entire computer locks up for 20 to 30 seconds. The hard disc light continuously lights - that's all.

I tried starting Task Manager before starting Lightroom to view the CPU usage - but the display just freezes, so Task Manager completely misses the time during which Lightroom is starting up.

The Event Log doesn't show anything special (or I don't know what to look for).

Even pressing the Capslock key has no effect - the indicator on the keyboard won't light up until Lightroom has finally started (that is, after 20 to 30 seconds).

After this initial delay, all is well.

What could be causing this nuisance?

(Vista Ultimate 64bit completely updated, 6GB, no virus checker except Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot S&D, LR cache 25 GB, 300 GB free disc space, LR catalogue optimised, almost 5000 pictures in LR database)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 20, 2012 2:56 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Lots of information. Thanks.   I don't know what's wrong, but you can try a few things.

I'd try excluding my images, catalogue, and preview cache from the virus checker.

You also might try running a disk checker against your disks.

Also, sometimes USB devices that are plugged in can cause long lock-ups. Bluetooth can be a culprit.

And finally, I'd try renaming my preferences file and see if that fixes the problem. It often does in strange situations. Find it here.

Let us know how it works out.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 20, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

check the system requirment of lightroom from the adobe website and then check the same of your system

if not

>un-install lightroom and then disable all the sequrity features and then install it

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2012 3:20 PM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Weird. So the first run of LR freezes your machine for 25 seconds or so, and subsequent runs work normally.

Win 7 probably caches data that it reads from disk and uses the cache later if needed, but normal disk I/O shouldn't lock up your system. I've seen total system lockouts when Win 7 was installing a device driver, but that seems unlikely.

On your file menu, there's an Optimize catalog entry. Probably worth a try.

If the slow startup continues to bug you, try renaming the Prefs file, re-booting, and starting LR. I've seen it work when I totally doubted that it would.

And I suppose it's possible that there's a problem with your preview cache.The site I point to in my previous post will show you where it is. You could try renaming that and then rebuilding all your previews (menu:  Library->Previews->...).

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 24, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Stranger and stranger. With no preview cache, startup was relatively quick. With one, the first startup is very slow. Rebuilding the cache didn't fix what was wrong. And Lightroom is the only thing running during that startup time.

The only thing I can think of beyond all my previous ideas is to create another catalogue from the one you have. Either you can create a new catalogue and import from your current one, or export a new catalogue directly from your current one. The idea is that this will leave all the bad karma behind. IIRC, one of those options has a chance of working, and the other doesn't. I can't remember which, but I suspect that importing from your current catalogue (option #1) will have the best chance of being helpful, so I'd try them in that order. Your catalogue is relatively small, so if won't cost you a lot of time. If it works, you'll have a new, well-behaved catalogue, and you can move things around on disk (or rename). If not, we'll have to think harder.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of drive is your catalogue (and previews) on?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 3:55 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

I'm running out of ideas.

You could try re-installing LR. I'm not optimistic about your chances of an improvement, but it's generally pretty quick, and it would be good to eliminate that as a possible solution.

How long has LR been misbehaving? Did it slowly get worse as you added images to your catalogue? Are you running any unusual background tasks?

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

I asked some very knowledgeable friends for suggestions.

One thought that perhaps your partitioned drive might be a problem. He suggested that you copy your catalogue and previews to an external drive, open the catalogue there, and see if that helps. If not, you can just delete the copies. Anyway, you won't have to relink your images to the new catalogue since all of them will continue to be where they already are. Don't actually make changes to the new catalogue, just see if startup times are back to normal.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Do try the solution offered by Hal above, I'm sure your partioning will be the answer, too much attempted access to the one drive simultaneously.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

All true, but there could be something strange going on with the drive, and putting a catalogue on an external, if you have one, is a relatively cheap experiment. Your choice, of course.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

"So - now what? I'm really out of ideas, I must confess."

Me, too. The experiment was nicely done, though.

So it's not the drive, the catalogue, the preferences, or any of the other things we investigated.

Are you using any plugins?

Hal

p.s. Do you recall how long it took to copy the previews and catalogue to the external drive?

Message was edited by: Hal P Anderson

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

No, the cache size is fine. Mine is 30 GB, and I've heard of people setting it much higher. Mainly, the cache helps speed loading of images in the Develop module. It only needs to be big enough to hold data for your current "working set" of images. Probably both of ours are set bigger than they need to be, but if the space is available, why not use it?

You've presented us with a bona fide mystery, and I've run out of ideas. I'll keep your problem active in background. If I come up with any ideas, I'll come back and ask more questions.

Thanks for patiently putting up with all the questions and experimentation. I'm sorry that we couldn't find a solution.

Hal

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Not affiliated with Adobe. I guess I'm benevolent. And I like the occasional challenge. I've learned a lot about LR by hanging out here and trying to answer questions.

You could go to the official bug website and submit it. Adobe monitor that one and will at least look at it. Post a link to this thread when you do.

Here's the site: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Hal

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 27, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Rotaluclac

Ok, another test for you (and apologies if I've missed that you've already done this...)...

Try creating another clean catalog, and import the photos set to 'add at existing location'.  This is only a test to narrow down whether it's possibly catalog-specific - if so, we might be able to beg Dan Tull as he's great with odd issues!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

I guess one could also try creating another user and try from there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jan 28, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Rotaluclac

No, I mean a clean catalog without importing the other catalog.  Just do a straight photo import as a test, rather than importing the catalog.  I'm wondering if there's some data in the catalog which is causing a problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points