Skip navigation
ZachUK
Currently Being Moderated

RTMP playback hangs after seek; MediaPlayerSprite and DynamicStreamingResource from FMS

Jan 26, 2012 1:17 PM

Tags: #flash #actionscript #streaming #osmf #rtmp

OSMF 1.5 was utilized to build this media presenter application: http://www.cecentral.com/activity/3593/?t=presenter

If you scrub the marker through the timeline, notice that when the playhead is dropped and the stream updates its position, there is a considerable lag before the video resumes playback.

The streams used are hosted from Amazon CloudFront (Flash Media Server).

I've come up with several test cases where the scrubbing does NOT result in a delay, and playback resumes immediately:

• When I load the same streams into Strobe Media Player, there is no delay after scrubbing.
  • When the application is loaded into a browser on an Android with Flash Player 11, there is no delay after scrubbing.
  • When the same application linked above loads streams from a Wowza media server, rather than FMS, there is no delay after scrubbing.

So the delay in scrubbing is only occuring on workstations with Windows or OS X and Flash Player 11, and when streaming from Flash Media Server.

In this application I am creating OSMF MediaPlayerSprite, with a DynamicStreamingResource for the streams. Since SMP is most responsive to the streams being utilized by the application linked above, I pored over the SMP code and see that SMP utilizes a PlaybackOptimizationManager class, which seems to handle NetStreams and buffering in a separate way to MediaPlayerSprite (which is much more straightforward, and well-documented).

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the hang / delay on seek, or commentary about whether implementing the PlaybackOptimizationManager might fix this issue?

Thanks.

Replies

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points